Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He doesn’t need to play until there is a reason for it. TBH, isles shouldn’t want a reason for him to return to the lineup.
He has been out due to his injury. If he can play, he should. He adds an element to the team, and he is physical.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
As much as I love Wally and he is a big part of our future, I can't see making a move unless momentum switches. Is he more talented then Zajac and Leo? Absolutely, but those two players are adding some grit that has worked to this point. We all know that Barry generally doesn't tinker when things are going well. Nice to have Wally as an option if we need him, but I expect same lines in game 2. (still on a high from game 1).

Reactions: Hagstrom and eoin92

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
People really want to put Wally in now? I mean, I get it, but the team is playing great. It’s not like he’s gonna get Wally Pipp’ed by Travis Zajac

Reactions: Brain Hemorrhage

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Absolutely, Wahlstrom should sit until changes are needed in the line up. Zajac has been so good in his place, I want him back next season on a Greene type of deal. Komarov has been terrific this playoff run also, he is a winning player, that contributes in so many other ways, if he had a scoring touch, he would probably be a 5M player instead of a 3M dollar one. That's the dilemma.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I was one of the more disgruntled and probably at times, obnoxious posters when Wally was out of the lineup in favor of Leo. I have come around to accept that this is a process and am at peace with the deployment of our forwards.

Unless we are absolutely starved for offense, there is no justification for inserting him in the lineup at this point in time. The team is completely in sync and carried over the momentum from the BOS series.

If Wahlstrom does get some ice , i'll be happy for him but it would probably be in response to the team skidding or an injury, which none of us want to see. I love Wahlstrom and think he will be our top goal scorer moving forward.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I was one of the more disgruntled and probably at times, obnoxious posters when Wally was out of the lineup in favor of Leo. I have come around to accept that this is a process and am at peace with the deployment of our forwards.

Unless we are absolutely starved for offense, there is no justification for inserting him in the lineup at this point in time. The team is completely in sync and carried over the momentum from the BOS series.

If Wahlstrom does get some ice , i'll be happy for him but it would probably be in response to the team skidding or an injury, which none of us want to see. I love Wahlstrom and think he will be our top goal scorer moving forward.

I did think outside of Barzal's breakaway goal the 1st line looked disjointed on offense for much of the game. Komarov seemed to be out of play a few times where Ebs or Barzal thought Leo was gonna be but wasn't or was a step slow.....we can't change the lineup now, I think we are hitting out stride as a team at the right time. Wally will get his shot, more than likely it will be a full time role next year when someone gets plucked by Seattle though.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I did think outside of Barzal's breakaway goal the 1st line looked disjointed on offense for much of the game. Komarov seemed to be out of play a few times where Ebs or Barzal thought Leo was gonna be but wasn't or was a step slow.....we can't change the lineup now, I think we are hitting out stride as a team at the right time. Wally will get his shot, more than likely it will be a full time role next year when someone gets plucked by Seattle though.

True. From my perspective, Leo's stone hands stick out more to me than his skating. It is also about reading the plays , not so much physical ability. Leo is not a bad skater at all but he's definitely a North-South guy and doesn't interpret or think the game the way Barzal & Eberle do.

That line is going to remain disjointed to a degree due to this, however, the team as a whole is playing great. I do think Wahlstrom will secure a permanent spot moving forward but wouldn't be surprised to see him pay his dues on the 3rd line with JGP and proving he is 200-ft approved before earning a promotion to a top-6 role.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
If Wahlstrom comes in I think it’ll be for Leo on Line 1 and not on line 3 given how well that line is buzzing.

I’d prefer Wahlstrom on line 1 over Leo, but obviously Trotz knows what he’s doing and would be great to keep winning games with the current group.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

Leo had his stone hands all over Tampa on Pulocks goal as well. They are doing just fine with Leo. Obviously great to have depth in Wally.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's not just that they lost and Zajac took a couple of penalties, but I thought the Isles had a handful of opportunities to shoot one-timers but held back. So it might be time to bring Wahly back to get a bit of "shoot first" element into the lineup.

Reactions: buud

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It's not just that they lost and Zajac took a couple of penalties, but I thought the Isles had a handful of opportunities to shoot one-timers but held back. So it might be time to bring Wahly back to get a bit of "shoot first" element into the lineup.

Trotz is going to like to have the faceoff versatility at home when he puts the Trade Dead Line out against Point - Kuch - Palat though, right?

Especially if JGP is banged up.

Reactions: Throttle

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Trotz is going to like to have the faceoff versatility at home when he puts the Trade Dead Line out against Point - Kuch - Palat though, right?

Especially if JGP is banged up.
Yeah, there's definitely a trade off involved. If I had to bet I'd say Zajac stays in and Wahly watches, but it's not a sure thing like it was 24 hours ago IMO.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
The most important element in this series is the Isles staying out of the box. I believe Zajac sits for Wahlstrom for that reason alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad