Friedman: "Okay, Jim is getting Ready" "You should be Prepared for Anything" | Who is Staying? Who is Leaving?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
GMJR is always looking for a deal. That's what makes him a fun GM. When he gets locked on to a player he want, he usually gets them even if he has to give up more than you like. He did a great job with the Pens for years but managed us into a situation where he couldn't manage out of it anymore. He was the right GM for us at the right time.
If he builds a team and we get a cup out of it I could care less how much of a mess the team is for years after. WE NEED A DAMN CUP IN VANCOUVER

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Can we trade OEL to Boston...getting out of that contract even if we had to retain a similar amount to what Arizona did would free up a lot of cap space. OEL has been alright at 1 end of the rink but what happened to his offensive game!?!?

Canucks only have a few untouchables, time to hopefully free up some cap space and let the new GM FIX this hot mess Benning left us in!

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think there are a bunch of potential moves, but I think these are our most likely trade candidates.

Halak- I think it's harsh, but due to his bonus, I don't see him playing with the Canucks again this year. Spencer Martin looks like he can be good enough to play the 5 or 6 games that Demko won't play down the stretch. I could see the return be a 3rd round pick/B prospect.

Motte-upcoming UFA, excellent 4th liner. I think he will have a pretty lengthy list of teams looking at him due to his play and contract. I'd push for a 2nd, but think it would be more of a 3rd + lower end prospect. I' love to see him sign back as a UFA.

Hamonic- Such an odd case. He is on our team, but not really. No idea what is going on with him, but I'd be surprised to see him play another game for us. If someone wants a RD, they can have him for whatever. My guess is that he is done in the NHL though.

Boeser- If the Canucks deal a major piece, I think Boeser is the most likely to go. He is having a tough season, but has been solid throughout his career so far. I'm just not sure that we can pay 7ish mil long term on a winger. I feel he would return a 1st and a quality prospect.

Miller-I'm not sure he gets dealt. Along with Hughes and Demko, he is our best player. I think he would be open to re signing here, and within reason I think we could meet his contract requirements. I'd certainly pay him before Boeser. But, with all the smoke out there, it's safe to say there is a strong liklhood of him being dealt. It would have to be a haul, I think he will get a blue chip prospect and a 1st, or two A level propects and a 1st.
(FYI, as an example, I'd say Newhook is an elite prospect, Schnieder Blue chip, Lundkvist A level)

Reactions: Canuck86

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'd go after Marino

Pens don’t have anything resembling a top 4 RHD after Letang and Marino, even into the future, so the only way it works is for another deal to fill that massive hole. Otherwise I’m sure Pitts would entertain it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If he builds a team and we get a cup out of it I could care less how much of a mess the team is for years after. WE NEED A DAMN CUP IN VANCOUVER

If you let him spend to the max, I think you will be happy and he can take you there. He got into problems in Carolina because the owner was a clown who would let him spend one year and then take it back the next. He had the ability to go all in with the Pens and it worked out.

Like I said, he will make some deals to get you a solid player where you will whine about how he gave up too much or someone you liked but he has a method to his madness. Look at the end result of what he's trying to do and not the deal in specifics and you will be happy with the results. GMJR was a great GM for us. We just didn't have anymore 1st round picks, prospects to deal, or cap space to work with at a certain point and he couldn't really work his magic he did for years anymore. He gets results and has a good feel for things.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Well sure but then the Penguins are taking one step forward and one step back.

If the Penguins are trying to win this year, it doesn't make sense.
True enough.
I was just saying that, until it’s decided what forwards are being moved, the focus should be on the defence.
But, as a Jets fan…I’m hoping for a Boeser for Copp+Stanley/Heinola+ trade…:naughty: :laugh:

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Jim to Media: "I don't think you're ready for this jelly"

giphy.gif

Reactions: kanucks25

dman34

May 6, 2011
Well sure but then the Penguins are taking one step forward and one step back.

If they are trying to win this year, it doesn't make sense.

I agree. Unfortunately the Pens don't really have the assets. It would be Marino or bust for me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's going to be interesting to watch JR in Vancouver. In Carolina, he was never allowed to rebuild and Karmanos was cheap, so he treated draft picks like Chiclets and traded them away for nothing. He did his best work adding the right veteran and young pieces (a lot through trades and free agent signings) in the Canes cup run. A lot of his moves were at the expense of the future which kept Carolina in limbo for years.

Similar to the Canes cup run, he made moves that got the Pens to two more cups, but again at the expense of the future.

Now in Vancouver, it's a complete 180. Trying to sell off assets for picks so he can rebuild the franchise. I'm not suggesting he can't do this, just that it is a completely different scenario than he's been in before.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Is the Pacioretty trade a decent comparable to what Canucks fans are hoping for from Miller?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad