Friedman: "Okay, Jim is getting Ready" "You should be Prepared for Anything" | Who is Staying? Who is Leaving?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Canucks need a top RHD or C prospect. A good 2-way RHD to play with Hughes for the next 6 years + is probably at the top of the list (Why Canucks fans are big on Schneider from NYR).
I don't know if the Pens have the correct pieces and are a good match here.
Yeah, that’s probably true, unfortunately. Likely the highest-value current roster player they would be willing to give up would be Kapanen, and then you’d be down to quantity (i.e. 2022 first and second rounders, POJ, Poulin) instead of the quality Vancouver should be looking for.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I know it’s been brought up repeatedly over the last couple months, but what would Canucks fans be looking to receive from Pittsburgh in exchange for Miller? JR has a history of stubbornly chasing “his guys” and I think Miller would be a fantastic add for the last sliver of the Pens’ window, putting them over the top from contender to a top cup threat.

Yeah, that’s probably true, unfortunately. Likely the highest-value current roster player they would be willing to give up would be Kapanen, and then you’d be down to quantity (i.e. 2022 first and second rounders, POJ, Poulin) instead of the quality Vancouver should be looking for.

Something around Kapanen + 1st I assume.

Reactions: Dominance

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hughes and Demko are untouchables. Pettersson has been hot garbage since last season but selling him off would be doing so at his absolute lowest value. Everyone else is up for grabs.

No way they sell Pettersson now. Best to let this ride out and trade him as that contract expires if he settles into a 40-50 point player.

Best to gamble that he's going to return to form.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Rutherford is a "High Event" GM. Makes a lot of great moves, and a fair amount of bad ones. He's not bashful about making another move to fix a mistake either. The best case scenario is what happened in Pittsburgh in 16 and 17. He retooled that team on the fly and made them into a juggernaut. The flip side is the slow decline that happened afterwards. Slow degradation of the on ice product and the war chest in an attempt to complete every year.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I would do that without hesitation, especially as it does not subtract from our defense. I’m not saying there’s an issue with the value, but rather than the Pens are nearing the end of their window.

I think if we're trading Miller, we need that D-man in return. Which is why NYR makes more sense for him.

Boeser is the other expendable, but not sure if the Pens have interest. I imagine the price would be a bit lower than Kapanen + 1st given Boeser's slow year and upcoming high QO.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
"Okay, Jim is getting ready"

Canucks fans...

06ef79b3ee0be9f0e243c462356bdd53.gif

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Rutherford is a "High Event" GM. Makes a lot of great moves, and a fair amount of bad ones. He's not bashful about making another move to fix a mistake either. The best case scenario is what happened in Pittsburgh in 16 and 17. He retooled that team on the fly and made them into a juggernaut. The flip side is the slow decline that happened afterwards. Slow degradation of the on ice product and the war chest in an attempt to complete every year.

In his opening presser he did mention that he's not in a rush and will be looking to get younger/faster. Also said today that he wants to create some cap room.

That should suggest that he won't be gunslinging, at least not when it comes to "win now" moves.

Who knows though, with gunslingers lol.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
JR is very transparent with the media. He's going to make big trades. That's what he does. Hurricanes fans and Penguins fans can guarantee you that. We can also tell you he pays premium prices for guys that he wants.

Sometimes that's him getting prime of career point a game Phil Kessel for a 1st pick and a top prospect. Sometimes it's getting Jason Zucker for the same price.

He’s not a buyer though, he’s a seller. He’s not out chasing a guy, he’s looking to move Miller and possibly others to retool the team. There’s a big difference here.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I feel like Canucks fans insisted I was wrong when I said Rutherford was actually going to be calling the shots and the idea that he'd purely be a "mentor" would end up false, just like it was when he signed on with the Penguins.

Good luck, Canucks fans. Welcome to JR's wild ride :laugh:

Hey, if Grandpa Jim brings 1 stanley cup let alone back to back cups I could care less what he does to the team. At the end of the day it wouldn't matter who is GM, fans will always dislike moves the GM makes...its how the world turns, whining and bitching makes us all feel better no!?!? Haha!

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
He’s not a buyer though, he’s a seller. He’s not out chasing a guy, he’s looking to move Miller and possibly others to retool the team. There’s a big difference here.

GMJR is always looking for a deal. That's what makes him a fun GM. When he gets locked on to a player he want, he usually gets them even if he has to give up more than you like. He did a great job with the Pens for years but managed us into a situation where he couldn't manage out of it anymore. He was the right GM for us at the right time.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lmao you guys are hilarious and so uninformed. JR was in hardcore buy now win now mode with the Pens. Of course he chased guys he wanted to win the cup. The man has won 3 of them. He’s selling players so he’s not going to chase players you goofballs. He’s a very intelligent hockey mind that has won 3 cups. Keep chirping though.

PS no matter what he does he’s better than Benning

Reactions: bh53 and Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad