Oilers win by a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
My thoughts from the game:

Yak was playing not only like he had something to prove, but like he was happy to be out there. This is the first time all season I've seen that vibe from him on the ice, which is a really good sign.

Belov is quite easily our best D man. This guy has stepped into the NHL seamlessly, and looks like a real snag of a pickup. He constantly wins board battles, is a presence in front of the net, and has an amazing calmness with the puck.

This waz also a really well played game by RNH. He was doing a ton of quite, simple things right, like his backchecking, positioning, and passing, he looked like a veteran out there. Again, something I haven't seen from him and hope to see more of.

Perron obviously had a great game too.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
That was a beauty saucer pass over a sprawling guy. Gagner had two great chances to score, he does seem off in that respect but I do not think you break up that line.

Over the sprawled out man for sure. But it's not a high percentage goal to knock it in mid air.

... He was probably going for Belov. ;)

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Watching this game gave me so many mixed emotions. The elation of the win and SO, and the snapping of the slump and break-out game for the kids.. and then I look at the standings... I don't know how to react.. this about sums up my feelings about now:

losing-it.gif

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
SWM Seeking LMHF Report.

My name is Mowzie, I am 29 years old, chubby, balding and haven't been on very many planets. I am looking to have a casual encounter with a LMHF Game Report tonight. Nothing serious.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Did they really? Any description, cause that's awesome that they did.

It looked like Yak was talking to him after his goal from the bench when he came to bump fists. I noticed in the Calgary game they were kinda jostling each other during the warm-up skate before the game, and looked chummy.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
See, have a picture perfect game like this and all the pressure comes off, right Jordan? Now we still got about another three-quarters of a season left, we can still make something of it!

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Man awesome game to be live at. Havent heard that much noise in rexall for a long time

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
OK I'm sold on Gagner turning it up any time now. He should have had 2 goals there. He's got the least amount of puck luck in the entire NHL. If I were him I'd be laughing my ass off and partying it up tonight.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nothing to complain about tonight. Probably should have been 8 or 9 nothing.

Grossly outshot and outplayed the Blue Jackets tonight. Dubnyk solid, in what had to have been the easiest game of his career. Even situations where the Blue Jackets were in scoring spots they didn't seem to get good shots off.

Never a bad thing to get a 7-0 win lol.

Easily Yakupov's best game of the year. AINEC. Kid looked like a different player out there than the first 15 or 16 games.

Yeah yeah yeah, the Blue Jackets are garbage, win doesn't really mean anything.

But it sure feels good man.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Watching this game gave me so many mixed emotions. The elation of the win and SO, and the snapping of the slump and break-out game for the kids.. and then I look at the standings... I don't know how to react.. this about sums up my feelings about now:

losing-it.gif

Yup, they're in a huge hole and a two game win streak isn't much to get excited about. Still, the way the season has been going, I'll take it. It just makes you wish Dubnyk hadn't played so terribly against the Jets or the Leafs earlier in the year.

Realistically, a full 60 minute effort and a point against Chicago next week will have me feeling more optimistic than a three game win streak against the Flames, Bluejackets and (hopefully) Panthers. Regardless of our place in the standings, those are all games that this roster should win handily; Chicago is a truer test.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Nothing to complain about tonight. Probably should have been 8 or 9 nothing.

Grossly outshot and outplayed the Blue Jackets tonight. Dubnyk solid, in what had to have been the easiest game of his career. Even situations where the Blue Jackets were in scoring spots they didn't seem to get good shots off.

Never a bad thing to get a 7-0 win lol.

Easily Yakupov's best game of the year. AINEC. Kid looked like a different player out there than the first 15 or 16 games.

Yeah yeah yeah, the Blue Jackets are garbage, win doesn't really mean anything.

But it sure feels good man.

Yeah, personally I got some hope back in the tank.

Feels nice.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Yea exactly, we need around 57 points in the next 38 games to make it interesting down the stretch. I know its a long shot, but we still have a chance. Especially with us still having a lot of games vs the division and conference.

lol, you really think this team can go 19 games over .500 in the next 38 games? No offense, but that is preposterous. And yes, in order for them to get 57 pts in 38 games, they have to go 19 games over .500 to achieve that, if you don't believe me, just do the math....here are some examples in case you don't believe what i'm saying...

if they go 25-6-7 in 38 games, they would have 57 pts in that span

if they go 26-7-5, same as above

if they go 24-5-9, same again...

In any case, it adds up to 19 games over .500, not even close to being possible with this team, right now, that's barely even a pipe dream. You have better odds of winning the lotto.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
My thoughts:

* Perron is a phenom - personal career record-high 4 points... he loves to shoot from anywhere and is gritty as hell... adds a ton to this Oiler team that's been missing for a while

* J. Schultz - after the first minute of play, I thought, "here we go again" because of his atrocious play in our zone... after that, he showed his true colours, which is offensive contribution.

* RNH/Eberle/Hall - good game by the first line... second game in a row, where they actually look like a first line!

* Hemsky/Gags/Yak - this line clicks, and tonight, it was all because of Yak. Wow, when this guy has confidence, he can really take over a game. I think him and Hall are our potentially most impactful players. Love the fact that he celebrates his teammates' goals just as much as his own goals.

* Defence core didn't look like **** tonight. Probably because the Blue Jackets were terrible, but, hey, we'll take it

* Dubnyk didn't let in a softie. I honestly didn't think he'd hold the shutout, and I'm happy for him... I think Bryzgalov being here smartened him up

* Smitty - good to see you in old form tonight... after last season, you've actually managed to play well in several games this year

* 4th line - they got playing time and only had two bad shifts... that's a win!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Finally feels good to be an Oilers fan again. This is 3 games in a year where thing's have looked mostly positive. I still think a lot of the losses this year can be pinned on goaltending rather than poor effort or poor coaching.

First game Dubnyk's had over a .900 save percentage all year and it ends up being a shut-out. Good for him, but he's not out of the dog house yet. Need way more performances like this to even begin to scrub off the display of suck this year.

MacT's press conference seems to have lit a fire under the Oilers' *****. Who knew, showing your players you have confidence in them DESPITE their sucking would instill confidence and effort. Good on MacT.

Perron was a beast tonight. Also, good on MacT. Dubnyk playing better with REAL competition behind him, makes the Bryzgalov signing look like genius so far. It just sucks that it had to come to trading Smid to get this message to Dubnyk.

Every line performed well tonight. If we can roll 4 lines more often we will see better rested offensive lines, and that WILL translate to more goals.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Does it ever man. Feels good, I got out of bed, shaved my beard and changed my PJ's. What day is it? Life as an Oilers fan just might work after all.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I just want to be in the race, i can live without playoffs if we're close to it by the end of the season. O didn't expect playoffs, thought it was possible, but not expected. I think if we ended up fighting for a wildcard it would be a relatively successful season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Someone said it earlier, but wins > losses.

Random notes:

- Belov absolutely jacked someone in front of the net. Letestu maybe? Sent him flying in the 2nd.
- The expression on Smyth's face when he batted that puck in on the PP... warmed the heart. Christ Gagner, where's that pass going? Really wouldn't mind Arcobello taking Gagner's place. He just hasn't looked right this season since the jaw.
- Yak was flying out there.
- So... Hall whiffs on the breakaway and scores. Can't write this stuff. How audible was he in the 2nd after the 3 non-calls? Come on ref. Wish he buried that one-timer from Hemsky after his goal. Would have been so nice.
- Perron... dat snipe.
- Getting a win is awesome. As is when everyone above us wins as well. Breaking Blad!
- Bring on the Cats.

He's also still brutal on the FO. I'd like to see Arco taking his place at centre, and moving Gagner to RW. Trade Hemsky at the deadline for as much as we can get--or maybe even trade him ASAP before he gets injured and he's worth nothing. I know there's at least a few teams looking for a scoring winger right now--why not capitalize on that, when we have a guy who's proven he can play and produce, play defense and win face-offs in the NHL sitting in the PB in Arco.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
lol, you really think this team can go 19 games over .500 in the next 38 games? No offense, but that is preposterous. And yes, in order for them to get 57 pts in 38 games, they have to go 19 games over .500 to achieve that, if you don't believe me, just do the math....here are some examples in case you don't believe what i'm saying...

In any case, it adds up to 19 games over .500, not even close to being possible with this team, right now, that's barely even a pipe dream. You have better odds of winning the lotto.

Doesn't have to be exactly 57 points but they need around that. Even if they're at 54 points in Febuary 27th we would have enough time to push down the stretch. Do I think the club can do it probably not, but I also think its foolish to think the club is thinking they can't make it right now.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
It was a fun game to watch seeing a team playing like a team with heart, drive and chemistry. It made the walk from Rexall to the parking lot in -25 C wind chill a whole lot more bearable. I can see them winning against Florida and if they brought this "same" team against Chicago, they have a great chance of winning against them as well.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton

He said he knows it's a long shot...

We're all well aware that the Oilers have been terrible so far this year. What's wrong with hoping for a miracle?

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
I am quite impress with how skilled Perron is. He plays a feisty game with a lot of drive and passion. Yakupov was showing not only his shooting but passing skills as well. This kid needed this game to shine and boy did he ever. He has chemistry playing with both Hemsky and Gagner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad