Oilers win by a touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I wish you guys could've seen how pumped up Yakupov was when he was announced as the second star of the game.

Edit: He took an extra long skate and waved his stick up and down at the crowd to get them to cheer.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
Doesn't have to be exactly 57 points but they need around that. Even if they're at 54 points in Febuary 27th we would have enough time to push down the stretch. Do I think the club can do it probably not, but I also think its foolish to think the club is thinking they can't make it right now.

Yeah, I get that people have optimism after a good game like that, but i'm just being realistic. Sure, they should still be thinking about the playoffs, but really, they have to play more for pride right now than anything else.

I sure wouldn't be putting any money on them in Vegas to make the playoffs right now, that's for sure (unless you have more money than brains, I guess). :sarcasm:

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
Great game and one of the few I have been able to attend this year. However I was sitting 3 rows behind some moron who was wearing a paper bag over his head for the first half of the game. Is this a thing now or something? It looked like he was constantly taking pictures of himself and crumpling the bag up to be able to see what was happening on the ice. Myself and everyone around me were wondering why someone would spend the money on seats in the club zone and then wear a paper bag over their head for half the game. What a complete and utter moron.

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
He said he knows it's a long shot...

We're all well aware that the Oilers have been terrible so far this year. What's wrong with hoping for a miracle?

Oh, I understand what he said, I was just showing the math that it would take to get that many points in 38 games (just as an example).

And there's is nothing wrong with hoping for a miracle, except that instead of hoping for one, they need to rely on a miracle right now, kind of like my retirement plan, which includes winning lotto max. :sarcasm: :naughty:

Anyways, not trying to be a negative nancy in here on a good night for the team, good for them and hopefully this game gives them the kick in the a$$ that they needed, but we thought the same thing after the NJ game, and after the other 2 game win "streak" earlier in the year, and it didn't work out then either.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Great game and one of the few I have been able to attend this year. However I was sitting 3 rows behind some moron who was wearing a paper bag over his head for the first half of the game. Is this a thing now or something? It looked like he was constantly taking pictures of himself and crumpling the bag up to be able to see what was happening on the ice. Myself and everyone around me were wondering why someone would spend the money on seats in the club zone and then wear a paper bag over their head for half the game. What a complete and utter moron.

Meh I would have been wearing a paper bag to start the game too. The team had 1 win at home before tonight. Plus who really cares, we live in a free country and people can do what they want.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
lol, you really think this team can go 19 games over .500 in the next 38 games? No offense, but that is preposterous. And yes, in order for them to get 57 pts in 38 games, they have to go 19 games over .500 to achieve that, if you don't believe me, just do the math....here are some examples in case you don't believe what i'm saying...

if they go 25-6-7 in 38 games, they would have 57 pts in that span

if they go 26-7-5, same as above

if they go 24-5-9, same again...

In any case, it adds up to 19 games over .500, not even close to being possible with this team, right now, that's barely even a pipe dream. You have better odds of winning the lotto.

19 games over .500 out of the next 38 would be a perfect record there, mathlete. 38-0-0. (Y'see, because wins are worth two points.) ;)

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
It has to be said, I'm REALLY digging that 3rd line. Yeah they aren't huge and yeah they don't hit or fight but they are winning battles, scoring goals and making **** happen!

I mentioned that to my wife tonight at the game. I really like this line, plenty of experience and savvy. NOt many mistakes made when they're on the ice and they do know how to make those little extra plays to keep the puck alive. Smitty & Perron seem to like it to!

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Finally feels good to be an Oilers fan again. This is 3 games in a year where thing's have looked mostly positive. I still think a lot of the losses this year can be pinned on goaltending rather than poor effort or poor coaching.

First game Dubnyk's had over a .900 save percentage all year and it ends up being a shut-out. Good for him, but he's not out of the dog house yet. Need way more performances like this to even begin to scrub off the display of suck this year.

Since you're on it, presumably you are aware that there is this thing called the internet, where facts can actually be checked, right? So just making up nonsense stats to suit your little rant doesn't really fly, yeah?

But, no, you're right. The team has been playing super, super awesome all year. All the losses were Dubnyk's fault.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Not sure why someone figures we need to go 19 games over 0.500 in the next 38 games to have a shot at the playoffs.

If the cut line ends up in the 92-95 point range, then to get from 6-15-2 to roughly 43-31-8, we need to go roughly 21 games over 0.500 over the next 59 games. Not an easy task and unlikely to happen but we don't need to make up all that ground in 38 games...we have 59 games to do it.

38 games is just under 2/3 of our remaining 59, so to be on pace for a playoff spot we would really need to be more like 13 games over in our next 38, not 19 games over.

Contrary to what the standings are shaping up like, it will NOT take even close to 110 points to make the playoffs, it won't even take 100. Some of the higher end teams will start to come back down to earth as the schedule becomes more based on inter-conference play.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
High Point of the game: Taking part in the well deserved "Standing O" at the end of the game.

Feel Good Moment: When Yakupov was named 2nd Star and did his thing on the ice. Clearly a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders

Coolest part of the game: Seeing Brezgalov dressed on the bench; wearing an Oilers touque instead of a ballcap!

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
19 games over .500 out of the next 38 would be a perfect record there, mathlete. 38-0-0. (Y'see, because wins are worth two points.) ;)

Lmao, wow, you really need to take a math class there mathlete....38-0 would give you 76 pts in 38 games, and the post that I was referring to said he figured we would need 57 pts in 38 games to be in the hunt.

And in order to get 57 pts in 38 games, you would need to be 19 games over .500 in order to achieve that, that's all I was saying. And AGAIN, it wasn't me giving the 57 pts in 38 games example, it was another poster, in other words, IT WASNT ME WHO SAID WE NEED THAT AMOUNT OF PTS IN THAT AMOUNT OF GAMES, I was just pointing out to him that in order for that to happen, we would have to go 19 games over .500 to achieve 57 pts in 38 games. (Y'see, because 38-0 record means you have 76 pts in 38 games, not the 57 that he was referring to) ;)

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hemsky and Yakupov showed some very nice chemistry today and I think that's a solid solid second line, provided they don't get boxed out too much against bigger teams. Man it was good to see Yakupov flying out there, making smart plays and making passes tape to tape. He could have had about 4 out there.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Yak starts bringing that kind of game consistently this team instantly becomes better. This was the first time this season that I've seen him drive the play in the right direction for the full 60. Really encouraging to see. Wouldn't be surprised if despite his early struggles, he still leads the team in goals.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not sure why someone figures we need to go 19 games over 0.500 in the next 38 games to have a shot at the playoffs.

If the cut line ends up in the 92-95 point range, then to get from 6-15-2 to roughly 43-31-8, we need to go roughly 21 games over 0.500 over the next 59 games. Not an easy task and unlikely to happen but we don't need to make up all that ground in 38 games...we have 59 games to do it.

38 games is just under 2/3 of our remaining 59, so to be on pace for a playoff spot we would really need to be more like 13 games over in our next 38, not 19 games over.

Contrary to what the standings are shaping up like, it will NOT take even close to 110 points to make the playoffs, it won't even take 100. Some of the higher end teams will start to come back down to earth as the schedule becomes more based on inter-conference play.

I calculated it using 96 points as the cutoff to get in. In order to be on pace for 96 points at the end of the season we should be around 71 points after 61 games which brings us to TDD. The reason I used TDD as the marker was because we can make a decision if we'll go for it or not on that day depending where the team is in the standings.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You'd be looking at something along the lines of going 35-40 - 15 - 5 or something..

Good luck Oiler fans, hopefully the drought ends..

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Lmao, wow, you really need to take a math class there mathlete.
Yes, but you did say 19 games over .500 over the next 38 games.
What you said doesn't make sense because in 38 games, a .500 record would be 19 wins.
If you then went "19 games over .500" (like you said) it would mean that you would win all 38 games.

I have no idea why 38 games was even mentioned since there are more than 38 games remaining in the Oilers season.

stevenmeier

Feb 11, 2013
as much as I like seeing the boys win I want them to lose until that whole ridiculous management team as well as that joke of a coach are gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->