Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 6-4

The Perfect Human*

yes, like they overpaid for iginla.... I'm not sure the market is what you think it is. We got a 1st, Teubert and 3rd for a signed Penner. I would argue we'd get around the same for Hemmer. To me, that is a pathetic return and will only set our franchise back.

I actually would do something else. I move Eberle for a Duncan Keith/Shea Weber. I'm not saying those guys are available, but the perceived value between Eberle and Hemsky is much larger than the actual difference between the two.

Here are the premises:

1. I don't think Eberle is as good long term as he was last year. If he is a 76 point player year in, year out, I would be VERY surprised. I think he is more like the player we saw this year (minus the last two games). He has some moments, but is soft and doesn't back check as hard as he should. He also needs Hall on his line to be good. To me, that's the litmus test - a good first line player will stand out on his one and won't need a Taylor Hall to look like a star.

2. Eberle is perceived to be MUCH more valuable than Hemsky. Is the value enough for a # 1 D man? I don't know, but I definitely don't think Hemsky can net us that. So as a manager, I would move Eberle (who I argue is overvalued) to fill our biggest need.

I know this will be attacked on this board, and that we want to run Hemsky out of town. It's just not the approach I would take.

Excellent post. This is exactly what I've been trying to articulate for the last 2-3 weeks now.

Although I don't think Eberle's "average" will be how he's performing this year. He's a bit better than that. I think he'll be a 60-70 point scorer for the rest of his career. That's not much better than Hemsky, definitely not worth $6M a year, and the return he'll bring will be much better than dealing Hemsky.

The Perfect Human*

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=231241

Check out #91 on Hemsky's goal. Drives right to the net, ends up on his bum. Didn't get a point on the play, but #91 of years past would stop in the slot and wait for a pass, or a rebound. This time, he takes Jack Johnson, Columbus's best Dman, with him to the front of the net and forces JJ to take him down. This leaves Hemsky to get around the other defender, and have a clear lane to slide it home.

Love the evolution of MPS's game.

You spelled Fedor Tyutin wrong.

The Perfect Human*

Did Hall actually get benched? Kind of a dumb move in an offensive shootout isn't it?

The Perfect Human*

The guy who has the most EV goals scored against when he is on the ice is Columbus' best D man?

Fedor Tyutin: -3
Jack Johnson: -8

Are you actually trying to tell me that Jack Johnson is a good defenseman? The guy gets lost more than Ryan Whitney in his own zone.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
@ people slagging Eberle lol Lets look at this guys career from junior up CHL player of the year Oilers leading scorer rookie season Oilers leading scorer 2nd Season top 20 in Nhl scoring Now this season he has struggled at times but still shows what he has first 2 seasons. Guess Avalance should move Duchene now before he regresses back to a 28 point player. Next year when he is above a ppg I will gladly bump this sheeesh

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Fedor Tyutin: -3
Jack Johnson: -8

Are you actually trying to tell me that Jack Johnson is a good defenseman? The guy gets lost more than Ryan Whitney in his own zone.

Tyutin EV goals against - 23
Johnson EV goals against - 22

You know, the numbers that actually matter for something?

The Perfect Human*

Tyutin EV goals against - 23
Johnson EV goals against - 22

You know, the numbers that actually matter for something?

That's cute, those numbers are very similar. Maybe because they play on the same damn pairing. Which means that Johnson screwing up would add to Tyutin's total

Now, if you actually WATCHED CBJ play for more than their 3-4 games a year vs the Oilers, you'd notice that Jack Johnson is far and away the worse defensive player on that pairing.

It's remarkable because Tyutin doesn't have the flashy offensive skills of Johnson (fast skater, big shot) - but he's a good passer, good thinker of the game, and more polished. Has more points than Johnson as well thanks to that skillset.

Hands down their best defenseman.

Johnson is a career -93. He has been a - player every year of his career - including while being sheltered on a good LAK team.
Tyutin is a career -47. He's taken a big hit here since coming to a terrible CBJ team. But on NYR, while sheltered behind the Staal pairing, he was a + player in multiple years.

Again - you don't need numbers to prove anything here. Just watch Jack Johnson play.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Did Hall actually get benched? Kind of a dumb move in an offensive shootout isn't it?

I was at the game I think it was an equipment issue. He was checking his skates on his last shift if I can recall. Your right Jack Johnson is not very good. Didn't notice him at all and a few shifts he looked lost out there. Kinda funny Wiz and Tyutin were on the ice on most of the goals tonight :laugh:

That was a very entertaining game :). The atmosphere was great tonight. Columbus got robbed IMO on the no goal. I wish the Oilers had a guy like Anisimov, He was very impressive. Great game by Hemsky (Besides that one awful turnover) and Paajarvi! Loving his game especially now that hes driving to the net. Was brutal goal tending by Khabi tonight, That goal 10 seconds in was soft. Good job on the boys for battling back.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Paajarvi has 5G 3A 8Pts in his last 13 GP
I'm glad we didn't give up on this kid

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

I was at the game I think it was an equipment issue. He was checking his skates on his last shift if I can recall.

Yeah ... he got benched. Its in the post game show interviews from CHED - both Krueger and Hall spoke to it. Hall said he "had a few giveaways and got sat down". He didn't seem upset about it or think it was unwarranted.

Krueger thought the benching was effective and said Hall played much better after.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Brown played his role perfectly tonight, and to claim that the fourth line was at it's best with him in the box is complete ********.

You're never going to convince him. Once he gets his hate claws into a player, he rarely lets go.
I thought Brown did exactly what he was supposed to do last night. He energized that whole line and the building as well with his fight and overall tenacious play.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
How many fights in how many games for the Oilers has Brown had now? The guy is just awesome for our 4th line. Seems to inspire the other guys on his line a bit.

I don't know how many fights he's been in, but I was thinking last night that he sure has a super-duper knack for timing them in a game. He doesn't seem to drop them until just the right moment....which is a very good thing.

He's going to be a top shelf freebie pickup similar to Jones for the Oilers, and dare I say that Tambo, or at least someone on the staff, has a really good eye for these type of role players.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
That's 2 games with strong efforts, last game with holding the lead against a strong and chippy STL team, this game beating a hot competitor.

And let's be honest, last year we wouldn't have come back from 4 one-goal deficits, particularly the 4th in the 3rd period.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
How many fights in how many games for the Oilers has Brown had now? The guy is just awesome for our 4th line. Seems to inspire the other guys on his line a bit.

I don't think he's particularly good at anything. Two of the best cycles shifts for his line tonight came with him on the bench for fighting. Then he loses a fight to Jared Boll, who actually shows some resemblance to a hockey player, and Mike Brown is somehow -4 over the last 5 games with 40mins of EV toi. **** takes effort.;)

Krueger on Brown "His first hit in the 1st period was a game changer...an emotional lift we needed"

I love what Brown can do for me, and this Oiler team. He brings it every shift, which is exactly what this team needs...whether or not he wins the fight.

Exciting game.

Can we trade Nick Schultz AND Ryan Whitney though, pretty please.

Fixed it for you :) If we re-sign Smid (with Schultz money) then I think this teams priority on D should be a top pairing LH puck mover. Fistric should be in the bottom pairing with Potter for now.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I see him sign a 6 year 24 mill contract

hahahahaha good luck.

That would be great, but Hall/Eberle contracts set the trend. If he's under $5 million per year I will be shocked.

me too.

And if he gets the $6 M per year that Hall and Eberle got yet another reason to fire Tambo.

It's a new CBA. $4.5M per year for five or six years.

If he can get more, so be it. The averaged value for an RFA that gets you a 1st, 2nd and 3rd s/b right around $5M per year.

the rfa arguement is pretty weak on gagner though, hes 1 year from UFA and has arbitration rights.

no way gagner takes anything under 5M with term, and if he finishes the year leading the team in points/ppg it will be impossible to negotiate below hall/eberle, youll pretty much have to appeal to his emotions to take less.

even if he regresses to 50 points next year, he'll get 6M as a UFA after that.

My guess is 6 yrs..27.6 mill......4.6 per cap hit

not a chance.

IMHO, they HAVE TO trade Hemsky--precisely because he's been playing better lately. Yes, he has that game breaking ability, but he's got considerable flaws in his game and on this team he's a bit of a luxury commodity. But they have to be smart about it. We can't afford to lose him for picks and prospects.

what exactly do you think we'd be getting for him? another fistric?

Well if the return isn't good, then don't do it obviously.....
Hemsky is just not gonna be here longterm unfortunately. As much as we don't want to believe it, getting rid of Eberle or even Yakupov would kinda frustrate the hell out of Hall/Nuge/Schultz, if not many other young guys in the room.

I've always been a huge Hemsky fan, but he does not fit in the team's plans past next year. I personally am not trying to run him out of town, I just see the longterm gain by doing it before he gets hurt again or is not re-signed next summer.

You know what else might frustrate the hell out of them? losing for a couple more seasons because we have no top-pairing Dmen, eberle could be used to acquire a solid #2, hemsky doesn't even get you close.

what team is better:

Hemsky
Yakupov
#2 Dman

or

Eberle
Yakupov
Futures.

yes, like they overpaid for iginla.... I'm not sure the market is what you think it is. We got a 1st, Teubert and 3rd for a signed Penner. I would argue we'd get around the same for Hemmer. To me, that is a pathetic return and will only set our franchise back.

I actually would do something else. I move Eberle for a Duncan Keith/Shea Weber. I'm not saying those guys are available, but the perceived value between Eberle and Hemsky is much larger than the actual difference between the two.

Here are the premises:

1. I don't think Eberle is as good long term as he was last year. If he is a 76 point player year in, year out, I would be VERY surprised. I think he is more like the player we saw this year (minus the last two games). He has some moments, but is soft and doesn't back check as hard as he should. He also needs Hall on his line to be good. To me, that's the litmus test - a good first line player will stand out on his one and won't need a Taylor Hall to look like a star.

2. Eberle is perceived to be MUCH more valuable than Hemsky. Is the value enough for a # 1 D man? I don't know, but I definitely don't think Hemsky can net us that. So as a manager, I would move Eberle (who I argue is overvalued) to fill our biggest need.

I know this will be attacked on this board, and that we want to run Hemsky out of town. It's just not the approach I would take.
Excellent post. This is exactly what I've been trying to articulate for the last 2-3 weeks now.

Although I don't think Eberle's "average" will be how he's performing this year. He's a bit better than that. I think he'll be a 60-70 point scorer for the rest of his career. That's not much better than Hemsky, definitely not worth $6M a year, and the return he'll bring will be much better than dealing Hemsky.

I agree with these two posts, i think eberle will consistently score in the 60's, and at 6M not necessarily an overpay, but not a bargain either, and like they've said, is more of a complimentary player than the one driving his line, similar to gagner (who is only 1 year older).

i don't think you can get a #1 like keith or weber though, more of an up and coming #2 like Larson, McDonaugh, Bogosian, Kulikov.

@ people slagging Eberle lol Lets look at this guys career from junior up CHL player of the year Oilers leading scorer rookie season Oilers leading scorer 2nd Season top 20 in Nhl scoring Now this season he has struggled at times but still shows what he has first 2 seasons. Guess Avalance should move Duchene now before he regresses back to a 28 point player. Next year when he is above a ppg I will gladly bump this sheeesh

were not slagging on eberle, we like eberle, but we think he is the best chip to use to upgrade our team (D).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's cute, those numbers are very similar. Maybe because they play on the same damn pairing. Which means that Johnson screwing up would add to Tyutin's total

Now, if you actually WATCHED CBJ play for more than their 3-4 games a year vs the Oilers, you'd notice that Jack Johnson is far and away the worse defensive player on that pairing.

It's remarkable because Tyutin doesn't have the flashy offensive skills of Johnson (fast skater, big shot) - but he's a good passer, good thinker of the game, and more polished. Has more points than Johnson as well thanks to that skillset.

Hands down their best defenseman.

Johnson is a career -93. He has been a - player every year of his career - including while being sheltered on a good LAK team.
Tyutin is a career -47. He's taken a big hit here since coming to a terrible CBJ team. But on NYR, while sheltered behind the Staal pairing, he was a + player in multiple years.

Again - you don't need numbers to prove anything here. Just watch Jack Johnson play.

This is confusing. Should we watch him play, or base every opinion on the player off of his +/- rating like you are doing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You're never going to convince him. Once he gets his hate claws into a player, he rarely lets go.
I thought Brown did exactly what he was supposed to do last night. He energized that whole line and the building as well with his fight and overall tenacious play.

He is the exact 4th line player that this team has been lacking for YEARS. Maybe there is an old video of Brown making a harmless joke to a teammate somewhere.I dont see why there is any reason to hate the player. He is a great teammate and is doing things that are helping the team win.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Eberle and RNH will be fine. I wish people would stop slagging on them because it's getting annoying. I know HFOil is a "what have you done for me lately" type of place, but Eberle really isn't having that bad of a season. RNH's numbers are down a bit, but I guarantee you his shoulder is bugging him and he'll get surgery done in the offseason.

pizmo

Mar 27, 2013
New Brunswick
Agreed. Anisimov made a great play on that goal but Hemsky needs to be safer with the puck there.

I know a lot of people are down on him but to my eye Hemsky has been flat out flying lately. I don't know if he's truly healthy again or what is going on but he's really got another gear in the last couple weeks. It'd be a mistake to trade him now.

Hemsky has been in the trade talks because of inconsistancy in play and injuries. The time to trade him is now when his value is perceived as being high. Don't wait for an Iginla type trade and get screwed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Eberle and RNH will be fine. I wish people would stop slagging on them because it's getting annoying. I know HFOil is a "what have you done for me lately" type of place, but Eberle really isn't having that bad of a season. RNH's numbers are down a bit, but I guarantee you his shoulder is bugging him and he'll get surgery done in the offseason.

What ever man. Eberle had 3 points and two beauty goals the game before last, Gagner did it last night! Therefore we can only conclude that Hemsky should be kept and Eberle traded:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00