Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 6-4

The Perfect Human*

Is it possible to buy-out Horcoff and re-sign him for 2.5M/year?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think you can trade for a buyout and use an amnesty buyout on them. I believe you have to have had the contract since before the lockout.

I think this is right.

We could always buy out Horcoff and ask another team to sign him and trade him back to us for a pick or something ;)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We're going to need more than depth defesemen.

It'll be a complete failure if we go into next season with a top 4 of Smid-Petry, Klefbom/Schultz-Schultz.

What do you see as our defense for next year? You've got us re-signing Smid and giving Dekeyser $3M. Klefbom seems like a lock and 4 of the current Oiler D are under contract next year. That leaves you with these 7:

Smid
J.Schultz
N.Schultz
Petry
Klefbom
Dekeyser
Potter

Who else are you adding (not to mention, where are you going to find these guys), and where are you putting them? Keep in mind, there's probably a good chance Fistric is also re-signed. So if you're adding defensemen, then one or two of the above names (and their cap hits) go away.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
What do you see as our defense for next year? You've got us re-signing Smid and giving Dekeyser $3M. Klefbom seems like a lock and 4 of the current Oiler D are under contract next year. That leaves you with these 7:

Smid
J.Schultz
N.Schultz
Petry
Klefbom
Dekeyser
Potter

Who else are you adding, and where are you putting them? Keep in mind, there's probably a good chance Fistric is also re-signed. So if you're adding defensemen, then one or two of the above names (and their cap hits) go away.
dekeyser is in detroit

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Last nights game was actually quite entertaining. Lol

I enjoyed watching the entire game..

Lets kill the Orcas tomorrow!

Crack the 3 game win streak for once!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Smid
J.Schultz
N.Schultz
Petry
Klefbom
Dekeyser
Potter

Who else are you adding (not to mention, where are you going to find these guys), and where are you putting them? Keep in mind, there's probably a good chance Fistric is also re-signed. So if you're adding defensemen, then one or two of the above names (and their cap hits) go away.

If we're going into next season with Smid, Petry, Klefbom and Schultz, ideally I'd like to add two NHL defensemen for the second pairing.

Smid-Petry
xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Potter/Fistric

Nick Schultz and Peckham should be long gone. I don't care how.

I'm not sure who we could add. Probably could get Kuba for next to nothing. And maybe pick up Niskanen or someone similar for Hemsky.

Smid-Petry
Kuba-Niskanen
Klefbom-Schultz
Potter/Fistric

Depending on how well Klefbom and Schultz play, they could move up/mix and match with Kuba/Niskanen.

Personally I would rather use Hemsky to get an NHL caliber D core than have a little extra secondary scoring on the 3rd line for $5M.

Simpleheart

Sep 15, 2009
guys we desperately need to buyout our bad contracts because. we need to hit the cap floor because. trade our vets away because.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Surprised they took away Hemsky's assist on Paajarvi's goal. I didn't think any Columbus player had full possession after Hemsky touched it.

Also, shouldn't Dubnyk get an assist on Hemsky's goal? He made a save and then Nuge cleared the rebound up to Hemsky.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think this is right.

We could always buy out Horcoff and ask another team to sign him and trade him back to us for a pick or something ;)

What's the point? He's still a useful player; we have cap space for the duration of his contract (2 more years). Unless fans care about Katz's money, Horcoff's contract is completely a non-issue.
I would imagine, they will use the amnesty buy-out on Eager.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If we're going into next season with Smid, Petry, Klefbom and Schultz, ideally I'd like to add two NHL defensemen for the second pairing.

Smid-Petry
xxx-xxx
Klefbom-Schultz
Potter/Fistric

Nick Schultz and Peckham should be long gone. I don't care how.

I'm not sure who we could add. Probably could get Kuba for next to nothing. And maybe pick up Niskanen or someone similar for Hemsky.

Smid-Petry
Kuba-Niskanen
Klefbom-Schultz
Potter/Fistric

Depending on how well Klefbom and Schultz play, they could move up/mix and match with Kuba/Niskanen.

Personally I would rather use Hemsky to get an NHL caliber D core than have a little extra secondary scoring on the 3rd line for $5M.

N.Schultz won't be going anywhere. He's having a down season, but we won't find better players in free agency and they can't trade for two top 4 d-men without giving up significant assets.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Looks like we're at 2/12 to getting into the playoffs. I really hope something comes out for that hilarious no goal call though. Basically costed the BJ's a point tonight and might turn out to be huge for their playoff chances.

The Oilers seem ready to play themselves right into 10place, so I suppose we're improving not going to get a good draft pick.

Gags has great value right now, I think it would one hell of a good time now to trade him, I think we could set us up for next year pretty well.

Yes lets trade him for a later first rd pick and wait for another 5 years for them to be a 50 point producer :shake head . We only should trade for upgrades

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
What's the point? He's still a useful player; we have cap space for the duration of his contract (2 more years). Unless fans care about Katz's money, Horcoff's contract is completely a non-issue.
I would imagine, they will use the amnesty buy-out on Eager.

Can't the amnesty buyouts only be used on players with a cap hit of $3 million or more?

Even if we have enough cap space to keep Horcoff around at $5.5 million, I'd rather find a way to retain him for $2.5-3 million and use the saved cap space to improve the team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
N.Schultz won't be going anywhere. He's having a down season, but we won't find better players in free agency and they can't trade for two top 4 d-men without giving up significant assets.

Then they need to trade some significant assets.

If we go into next season hoping Nick Schultz and Klefbom can handle 18+ minutes a night, it's going to be no different than this season.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If we go into next season hoping Nick Schultz and Klefbom can handle 18+ minutes a night, it's going to be no different than this season.
Or the season before that, or the one before that etc etc.
Its been forever since this team actually had six NHL defenceman on the roster at the same time.
I totally agree with you on N Schultz. What a terrible terrible hockey player. And small and weak to boot.
Can't believe Tamby gave up Gilbert for this turd. Well actually I can, but you know what I mean ....

In other news Souray played 22 minutes tonight, scored the winning goal and was first star of the game. What a cancer :sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This might surprise everyone around here, but Horcoff likely could sign a better contract than 2.5/year right now.

This. $5.5M might be too much but $2.5M is too low.

Also I don't think he'd be that thrilled for a buy-out / re-sign for lower cap-hit move by the Oilers. Buyout means bye bye Horcoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->