Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 6-4

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nobody considers trading him last year because nobody expected the oilers would end up drafting Yakupov. Most of us thought we would get Murray second overall, meaning our RW depth would have been Eberle and Hemsky. Now, one of them probably should be moved so the team can fill holes in a position of weakness. Hemsky has more value to the tema than he does in a trade, Yakupov is the best of the three so Eberle makes the most sense. No one is trying to throw him away, it's just smart asset management.

No Its stupid.

Hemsky has no trade value because management continually holds on to him thinking his value will improve. You dont imporve by trading your best and most consistant player for the last 3 seasons running.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
No Its stupid.

Hemsky has no trade value because management continually holds on to him thinking his value will improve. You dont imporve by trading your best and most consistant player for the last 3 seasons running.

You don't improve by trading a good player for another good player at a more favorable position?

Is it stupid to think of trading Eberle for a top pairing D man?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nobody considers trading him last year because nobody expected the oilers would end up drafting Yakupov. Most of us thought we would get Murray second overall, meaning our RW depth would have been Eberle and Hemsky. Now, one of them probably should be moved so the team can fill holes in a position of weakness. Hemsky has more value to the tema than he does in a trade, Yakupov is the best of the three so Eberle makes the most sense. No one is trying to throw him away, it's just smart asset management.

Yakupov hasn't proven a thing yet, how in the world is he the best of the three?
The only reason that Eberle is even being mentioned is because he's having a bit of a down year. If Eberle was the awesome Eberle of last season, the trade talk would be virtually non-existent.
So you would rather keep Hemsky over Eberle because Eberle has more trade value? I don't see the logic in that.
Lets trade RNH and keep Gagner because he has more value.
Lets trade Petry and keep Whitney because he has more value.
I don't see anything wrong with having Eberle and Yakupov anchor our top 6 RW position for the next several years at least. Yakupov and Hemsky as our top 6 RWers i would have a much bigger problem with.

I understand that holes need to be filled elsewhere but you don't trade a young stud like Eberle who happens to love playing here just to fill a hole.
Sure, if we can get an OEL, Pietrangelo type of defenseman, it's a no brainer but those guys won't be offered for a smallish winger.
The best that i can see for Eberle is probably Yandle and there is no way that i trade Eberle for Yandle.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
All I'm saying is something is going to have to give. Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle and Gagner in the top 6 will cost probably around 30 mil together when it's all said and done. Obviously Hemsky is going to go, but someone else in that top six will too. You can't spend all of your money on small forwards.

We all have a love affair for Eberle, I get it. But let's take off our homer goggles and realize he's a prime asset around the NHL that can net a massive return. No, I wouldn't trade him for a Yandle, but in a package he could probably net am OEL kind of D man.

Koto

May 3, 2011
lol @ trade gagner because he is unsustainable, keep eberle because hes our best player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
All I'm saying is something is going to have to give. Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle and Gagner in the top 6 will cost probably around 30 mil together when it's all said and done. Obviously Hemsky is going to go, but someone else in that top six will too. You can't spend all of your money on small forwards.

We all have a love affair for Eberle, I get it. But let's take off our homer goggles and realize he's a prime asset around the NHL that can net a massive return. No, I wouldn't trade him for a Yandle, but in a package he could probably net am OEL kind of D man.

Before you start trading away our 22 and under year olds, maybe we should be patient a bit and see how they turn out.:shakehead

Koto

May 3, 2011

how do people not see this, you love eberle because he was an oiler fan growing up and a team canada legend

these are not good reasons to never trade him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You're not going to get OEL with Eberle as the centerpiece, no way. There is nobody on our roster who can return a player of OEL's caliber, the guy is already approaching top 5 status so if Eberle is being traded, it will likely be for a player of lesser value.
Teams rarely get full value for young stars. It's not worth it.
Either draft a top pairing defenseman or sign one. Who knows, maybe Klefbom becomes that guy? It's probably a longshot but he has the ability. If Brodin can do it, Klefbom can too.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
lol it's always fun to compare the number of posts in the PGTs after a win vs after a loss. The perpetual complainers must be incredibly bored after a win.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
how do people not see this, you love eberle because he was an oiler fan growing up and a team canada legend

these are not good reasons to never trade him.

WTH are you talking about?
Yeah, THAT'S the only reason to love Eberle as a player.
How about we love Eberle because he's a damn good player. Jeez.
Him being an Oiler fan growing up is just an added bonus.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Krueger on Brown "His first hit in the 1st period was a game changer...an emotional lift we needed"

I love what Brown can do for me, and this Oiler team. He brings it every shift, which is exactly what this team needs...whether or not he wins the fight.

Fixed it for you :) If we re-sign Smid (with Schultz money) then I think this teams priority on D should be a top pairing LH puck mover. Fistric should be in the bottom pairing with Potter for now.

Brown is already taking periods, and games, off which doesn't bode well for an "energy" player with very little talent, that isn't a particularly good fighter, and adds nothing else to the table.

My concern with a player like Brown, and his role here, is he did absolutely nothing for two periods against Nashville, we lose that game, but he brings a solid 3rd period when the game was already decided. Brown did way more in the third period of that game then I've seen him bring in entire games.

When I hear stuff like perfect timing, brought it at the right moment, etc I'm noting that Brown, an energy player, probably had a talking to in the dressingroom from somebody between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

I would like it if Brown is a sparkplug but during his tenure here the Oilers have played at least 4 of their least inspired efforts of the season. WITH Brown in the lineup.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
lol it's always fun to compare the number of posts in the PGTs after a win vs after a loss. The perpetual complainers must be incredibly bored after a win.

There are certainly some posters who, in spite of all their complaints to the contrary, seem to thrive off of losses.

Last night was magnificent to watch, a real rollercoaster ride, and pretty indicative of Oiler games this year - either they're nights full of majesty and thrills, or real stinkers. These ones are sure fun, though. Almost makes you forget about the stinkers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No, it's ridiculous to even think about trading Eberle regardless of value. Nobody would have uttered any word about trading him last season but all of a sudden, he has a rough patch this season and he's expendable all of a sudden? It's ridiculous. Never mind the fact that he was an Oiler fan growing up and by many accounts, absolutely loves playing here.
Yeah, lets trade that guy.

Also, the talk of him being a 60's point player consistently in his prime. He's having an off year this season i'm sure you would agree and he's still on pace for 60+ points over an 82 game season. I highly doubt that we see too many seasons like this when Eberle is fully matured. I see him as a 70-80 point player who comes up big when the games matter the most. I'd rather hold on to that guy.

Yet just yesterday you were stating through several posts that the Oilers had to trade Hemsky and were urgently suggesting that they move him right now.

The inconsistency being odd.

Again, and I repeat to you a day later, whats wrong with keeping most of the good players we have on a hockey club?

Hemsky showed his value yet again yesterday and by making plays few if any other players on this club make.

The guy is healthy, flying, useful, wants to be here, and you want to trade him for whatever we can get. :amazed:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
nail yakupov is going to be a complete superstar in this league, the more passes he makes like last night the more dangerous he becomes as teams cant just play him for his shot. the way he moves and shoots and his compete level are going to make him comparable to Taylor hall in terms of the impact they have on a game. RNH and eberle are both fantastic players but i honestly feel like 3 years from now yak and hall will be a step above both of them.

Huge fan of his game and we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg from him right now. Hall and Yak will be the best players on this club going forward. No doubt in my mind about that at all. These two impact games as you say and find and make space in tight checking games. Theres an unstoppable beast residing in both of them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yet just yesterday you were stating through several posts that the Oilers had to trade Hemsky and were urgently suggesting that they move him right now.

The inconsistency being odd.

Again, and I repeat to you a day later, whats wrong with keeping most of the good players we have on a hockey club?

Hemsky showed his value yet again yesterday and by making plays few if any other players on this club make.

The guy is healthy, flying, useful, wants to be here, and you want to trade him for whatever we can get. :amazed:

You don't see the difference? Eberle is a young star who hasn't even hit his prime yet while Hemsky is on the downside of his prime years.
We have 3 RWers on the team. Eberle, Yakupov and Hemsky. It seems like a no brainer to me that Hemsky be the odd man out, don't you think?

While Hemsky provided a great offensive spark last night, he also had some awful gaffes defensively so while he's a good player (although maddeningly inconsistent), we need a more physical, 2 way player in his place. Trading Eberle now would be a big mistake.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I love this board. Trade Gagner, trade Eberle, trade Hemsky, trade everything that even reminds anybody of a losing team. Guilt by association. Were you at the scene of the crime? Woodrot!! Gut IT!!!! Gut the whole house, maybe we save these 2 X 4's over here.:sarcasm:

Whoever isn't being traded on this board is being fired or being booed resolutely on home ice.

I really can't fathom a board that waxes praise on insignificant players like Fistric and Brown and dressing that up as if their contributions make W's while saying Hemsky and Gagner absolutely don't fit (on an NHL club) and have to go. At the earliest possible opportunity. For anything we can get. Anything with size. Maybe Eagers not doing anything...

I think i might need new glasses or something. I just can't parse this stuff.

Conkanen*

We have a core of young stud forwards with an average age of 20. We have forever and a day to sign/draft develop a top pairing D-Man and for all we know we may already have that guy. We are years from contending so sit back and enjoy the ride. I understand the need to want to win now with all the years of losing but trading Eberle is not the answer.

And you never know, another Pronger-like deal could be had without trading anyone close to to Eberle's ilk. It happens.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You don't see the difference? Eberle is a young star who hasn't even hit his prime yet while Hemsky is on the downside of his prime years.
We have 3 RWers on the team. Eberle, Yakupov and Hemsky. It seems like a no brainer to me that Hemsky be the odd man out, don't you think?

While Hemsky provided a great offensive spark last night, he also had some awful gaffes defensively so while he's a good player (although maddeningly inconsistent), we need a more physical, 2 way player in his place. Trading Eberle now would be a big mistake.

Its amazing to me that you don't see the error and foolishness of trading one of our key useful players for years for whatever dreck Tambo could muster up at the bargaining table. Especially after watching the game last night.

If ever there was a timing moment of "whooops", Hemsky displayed that for all his detractors last night. But I guess trade Hemsky is the latest game in town.

Last I checked theres nothing wrong with having balanced scoring on either wing and having an abundance of seasoned talent. Why you think we have to jettison a skilled player because we have Eberle and Yak is beyond me. Hemsky is willing to play different assignments, is happy here, and why not let him.

This is an org that has accrued and retained precious little vet talent and the answer on the fan boards it to trade away the diminished amount of what we have.

Consider this. What actually happens to "team concept" when there is in fact no team, when your lineup is a continual turnstile with a very small vet nucleus of guys that have battled here for awhile.

Rebuilding the team every year and setting fire to everything and getting rid of players that are skilled isn't the answer. Unless what your trying to attain is fractured anarchy in a team sport. Do people even pay attention for one second that player lineage in jersey actually matters, that it actually has value.

Conkanen*

Its amazing to me that you don't see the error and foolishness of trading one of our key useful players for years for whatever dreck Tambo could muster up at the bargaining table. Especially after watching the game last night.

If ever there was a timing moment of "whooops", Hemsky displayed that for all his detractors last night. But I guess trade Hemsky is the latest game in town.

Last I checked theres nothing wrong with having balanced scoring on either wing and having an abundance of seasoned talent. Why you think we have to jettison a skilled player because we have Eberle and Yak is beyond me. Hemsky is willing to play different assignments, is happy here, and why not let him.

This is an org that has accrued and retained precious little vet talent and the answer on the fan boards it to trade away the diminished amount of what we have.

Consider this. What actually happens to "team concept" when there is in fact no team, when your lineup is a continual turnstile with a very small vet nucleus of guys that have battled here for awhile.

Rebuilding the team every year and setting fire to everything and getting rid of players that are skilled isn't the answer. Unless what your trying to attain is fractured anarchy in a team sport. Do people even pay attention for one second that player lineage in jersey actually matters, that it actually has value.

So which RWer do you intend on shipping out? Because none of the current ones are bottom 6 material.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So which RWer do you intend on shipping out? Because none of the current ones are bottom 6 material.

Good lord. You keep them all.

How the hell do hockey fans lament a surplus of top-6 forwards?!? You bloody well groom and nurture and support and develop your prospects for years and years and years in the hope that they become top-6 players! You don't trade them away to fill your bottom-6! You sign bottom-6 players during the summer, or trade other bottom-6ers for them! Talent acquisition and retention! It's not difficult to comprehend!

C'mon man!

Conkanen*

Good lord. You keep them all.

How the hell do hockey fans lament a surplus of top-6 forwards?!? You bloody well groom and nurture and support and develop your prospects for years and years and years in the hope that they become top-6 players! You don't trade them away to fill your bottom-6! You sign bottom-6 players during the summer, or trade other bottom-6ers for them! Talent acquisition and retention! It's not difficult to comprehend!

C'mon man!

If Hemsky was anything but a RWer then I could see your point. So you are comfortable playing one of Eberle, Nail, and Hemsky on the 3rd line? I'm not. How much $$ are we gonna tie up in Right Wingers?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Yes, yes, yes. A million times yes!!!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yakupov hasn't proven a thing yet, how in the world is he the best of the three?
The only reason that Eberle is even being mentioned is because he's having a bit of a down year. If Eberle was the awesome Eberle of last season, the trade talk would be virtually non-existent.
So you would rather keep Hemsky over Eberle because Eberle has more trade value? I don't see the logic in that.
Lets trade RNH and keep Gagner because he has more value.
Lets trade Petry and keep Whitney because he has more value.
I don't see anything wrong with having Eberle and Yakupov anchor our top 6 RW position for the next several years at least. Yakupov and Hemsky as our top 6 RWers i would have a much bigger problem with.

I understand that holes need to be filled elsewhere but you don't trade a young stud like Eberle who happens to love playing here just to fill a hole.
Sure, if we can get an OEL, Pietrangelo type of defenseman, it's a no brainer but those guys won't be offered for a smallish winger.
The best that i can see for Eberle is probably Yandle and there is no way that i trade Eberle for Yandle.

Eberle, just like Hall, recently signed a big long-term contract. Hemsky got a two year deal. This pretty much sums up how the management views their respective value to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad