Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win 4-2: Started from the bottom now we're here

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I didn't watch the game tonight unfortunately... looking at the box score and the comments. It looks like we had 1 good period.

Being outshot 35-23 by Calgary isn't very good... good thing they have just as bad of goaltending as we do (though Dubnyk has been better lately, I'm hoping he's coming around and can play like he did last year).

And from some of the comments, sounds like the top line wasn't anything special again... they need to split those guys up.

I really wonder what our record is the past 2 years when all 3 are in the lineup and they play together, and what are record is when all 3 are in the lineup and they play on separate lines.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
heh. Its just shocking how far south Ebs, RNH, Hall have gone.

You look at a hopeless club like Calgary and 3 guys have scored more goals than any Oiler. One of them is a raw rookie 18yrs old with more jam than any of the ballerinas here.

Really bad work habits got reinforced tonight. That was possibly the most brutal first period any team in the NHL has played this year.

more buzz kill, haha

Hyperbole much?

Yes, there are still issues. Yes, there were some awful plays. Yes, we're still not going to be finishing anywhere but near the bottom...

but for ****'s sake, be a ****ing fan, and enjoy a win...

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I don't get the Gazdic hate, he throws his weight around and goes hard, sure he doesn't have the best hands but he puts in 110% effort all the time.

Plus you're saying you don't want to see Joensuu. When he's healthy, he's better than anyone that you have on your fourth line. He was playing amazing before getting hurt...
what has Jones does this year.... absolutely nothing. Give me Joensuu and/or Gazdic throwing their weight around, going hard and playing the body over Jones everyday.

MacT and Eakins WILL have a fighter on the team (MacT always did when he was a coach and he's a hard nosed type of guy) and Eakins is from the Toronto system (look at their 4th lines lol). Gazdic is a serviceable player, provides energy and can hit... I'd take him on our roster over most other options out there.

What garbage. Gazdic only plays 3 minutes a game. Precisely because he isn't good enough to play more. He's an average AHL 4th liner, nothing more. He doesn't belong in the NHL. Can't pass, can't shoot, can't defend, is not as bad at skating as some enforcers but still can't hit anybody skilled. Can't cycle. Gets peppered with shots against in the limited time he spends out there. He's god awful. If we *need* a fighter, I'd rather have Stortini back over SMac or Gadzic. At least Stortini could play 5-10 minutes, not bleed chances against, and sustain pressure in the offensive zone. Couldn't fight, but who cares, Gadzic isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in that department anyway.

Joensuu? He's meh. He had a good pre-season. Most of the team did. Has done bupkis since the start of the regular season both pre and post-injury. Also bleeds shots against.

Jones? Yeah, he sucks. He just doesn't suck as bad as the rest of the aforementioned buttplugs.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I didn't watch the game tonight unfortunately... looking at the box score and the comments. It looks like we had 1 good period.

Being outshot 35-23 by Calgary isn't very good... good thing they have just as bad of goaltending as we do (though Dubnyk has been better lately, I'm hoping he's coming around and can play like he did last year).

And from some of the comments, sounds like the top line wasn't anything special again... they need to split those guys up.

I really wonder what our record is the past 2 years when all 3 are in the lineup and they play together, and what are record is when all 3 are in the lineup and they play on separate lines.

The first line was brutal in the first... but I truly believe these guys are playing like **** for psychological reasons. They have all lost their confidence, are trying to do much, and not playing "smart". In the third, they looked dangerous - had some great cycles, and scored. Their potential is amazing on paper, and I think we'll start seeing that playi out when they start scoring again.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
What garbage. Gazdic only plays 3 minutes a game. Precisely because he isn't good enough to play more. He's an average AHL 4th liner, nothing more. He doesn't belong in the NHL. Can't pass, can't shoot, can't defend, is not as bad at skating as some enforcers but still can't hit anybody skilled. Can't cycle. Gets peppered with shots against in the limited time he spends out there. He's god awful. If we *need* a fighter, I'd rather have Stortini back over SMac or Gadzic. At least Stortini could play 5-10 minutes, not bleed chances against, and sustain pressure in the offensive zone. Couldn't fight, but who cares, Gadzic isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in that department anyway.

Joensuu? He's meh. He had a good pre-season. Most of the team did. Has done bupkis since the start of the regular season both pre and post-injury. Also bleeds shots against.

Jones? Yeah, he sucks. He just doesn't suck as bad as the rest of the aforementioned buttplugs.

Gazdic is awful. He had three tries on three different shifts to clear the puck, and he can't do it. The job of the 4th line is to keep the puck in the offensive zone - they can't do it... and then ice the puck when they touch it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hyperbole much?

Yes, there are still issues. Yes, there were some awful plays. Yes, we're still not going to be finishing anywhere but near the bottom...

but for ****'s sake, be a ****ing fan, and enjoy a win...

I guess you're enjoying it so much you had to get upset and mouth off another fan.

think about that one a bit.

You're the one mouthing somebody off. I did nothing of the kind.

I actually expected this club to fight for an 8th playoff spot. So yeah, how they've played and again being last in league is a big disappointment.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
I don't understand why people feel the need to complain about a win. Especially when wins are few and far between.

In the context of this season as we are pretty much out of the playoffs 22 games in. More wins = Lowe appears to have some competence to Katz and we are stuck in endless rebuild. Lose games = disappointed fans. We lose both ways

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Attended the game. Quietest hockey game I've ever been too.

Mainly because the BOA is now contested by arguably the two worst clubs in the entire league.

Alberta, where NHL hockey isn't played..

This is like a relegation province. We probably deserve better considering how hard we all work.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In the context of this season as we are pretty much out of the playoffs 22 games in. More wins = Lowe appears to have some competence to Katz and we are stuck in endless rebuild. Lose games = disappointed fans. We lose both ways

The reality is beating the Abbotsfield Heat NHL version wasn't going to feel like a W one way or the other. Feels more like a consolation prize. Except in the standings were still behind the sold out Flames.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why people feel the need to complain about a win. Especially when wins are few and far between.

We're just out of 30th. I suppose if we string 3 or 4 together you can make this comment and not expect people to disagree with you.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I guess you're enjoying it so much you had to get upset and mouth off another fan.

think about that one a bit.

You're the one mouthing somebody off. I did nothing of the kind.

I actually expected this club to fight for an 8th playoff spot. So yeah, how they've played and again being last in league is a big disappointment.

I get upset at your constant negativity. We haven't won much during this season, so it's nice to just talk about the positives once in a while. We can continue with the negativity during the next upcoming 5-game skid.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
In yesterdays game Gazdik made one of the worst passes seen this year. He's really been not noticeable lately except when making the odd brutal play or getting owned on shifts. I thought he was going to be a bit better player than Brown but hasn't really shown that. I still Eager is way more talented and should probably be here instead in a 4th line role.

IMO Gazdic is an upgrade over Brown as a player.

As for Eager, one he doesn't/can't really fight anymore so MacT/Eakins wanting a fighter on the team doesn't work if you have Eager there instead of Gazdic. Unless you're hoping we play SMac every other game or so.

Also I don't follow the Barons to closely, but I don't think Eager has really been much of a contributor for them. From what we saw in the preseason, Gazdic > Eager. The Eager of 2 years ago is no more, just like the Jones of 2 years ago isn't around anymore. Injuries should have pushed both of those guys off of any teams NHL roster.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was just reading the footnotes from the game's article on TSN...it said the Oilers have taken 5 of the last 7 games in the BoA. :amazed:

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Hall and Eberle sitting on the bench finger popping eachother's *******s, ignore Yak as he flies by for a high five.

Any evidence of this? I went back and rewatched the celebration because of your post, and what you stated was far from the truth. Hall and Ebs were the first two on the bench to touch gloves with the boys, and both looked as excited as one would expect for their teammates. The camera stayed on Hemmer the whole time, never showing an exchange with Yak and the boys.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Gazdic may be an improvement over Brown, but that's like saying getting punched in the left testicle is better than being punched in both testicles.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think Eakins should consider lines where Arco gets some usage not on the 4th. Then he can keep inglorious Acton in.

Hall - RNH - Ebs
Yak - Arco - Gags
Perron - Gordon - Hem

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Hall - Arco - Eberle (Hall & Ebs seem to need each other)
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky (Was effective early on, gives us a legitimate line to play against other top lines)
Gagner - Nuge - Yak (Soft minutes, but could kickstart Nuge)
Joenssu - Acton/Smyth - Smyth/Gazdic (Ach)

What I wanna see once/if we get healthy.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Yakupov-Arcobello-Hemsky
Perron-Gagner-Pitlick
Smyth-Gordon-Joensuu

Ference-Petry
Belov-Larsen
N.Schultz- J.Schultz

Dubnyk
Bryzgalov

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just saw the title of the thread and said to myself:

"God Damned.......wish I would have watched the 3rd". :(

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I get upset at your constant negativity. We haven't won much during this season, so it's nice to just talk about the positives once in a while. We can continue with the negativity during the next upcoming 5-game skid.

You get upset because you chose to get upset.

I don't take any responsibility for that and in no way does it effect your appreciation of the win and I'm being completely appropriate and not making flaming posts at other fans.

This is a moderated message board. Please respect that if nothing else.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
A little confidence goes a long way. When Ebs scored that goal, the game changed. We dominated the 3rd. I just hope they keep it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad