Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win 4-2: Started from the bottom now we're here

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So night after getting a goal Yak looks dangerous picks up assist... imagine that... does well a) when given ice time b) played with skilled players

I humbly put forth we rechristen him Neil from Halifax. When guys like Gregor and Rishaug see he's not Russian anymore they'll lay off.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
Big 2 points, gut check time yada yada... Corey Potter two games in a row has set the other team like effing Xmas tree. Fedun offensive upside is way better than this boneheaded plays. Finally Ference shows some Captain like traits

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A fairly meaningless stat considering he handed the puck away easily ten times tonight, was horrible between the facesoffs, and didn't contribute anything all night. Also took a bad, selfish penalty. This is in a word another horrible game against a horrible club by the number one pick in the world.

Its high time for some of these guys to boot themselves in the ass. There was no misfortune in the first period, no hard luck, no excuses, simply didn't skate, didn't compete and the first line with speed to burn somehow looked slow as molasses for the first half of the game and couldn't complete a pass, couldn't complete a rush.

Hard to understand how 18m bucks can't motivate itself to even break out a sweat.

Disgusting effort. Amazing really that theres any praise for a club that laid down for the first 30mins of a game. They should ride the bus home from Calgary for that.

Hey...it doesn't take much to critique this win. The deficiencies couldn't be more obvious. I have written about the deficiencies on this team for years now and it was no different tonight.

Change of pace...I made a decision to just enjoy a little snippet of success.
Dont worry there will be plenty of time to critique this team this season...the team still stinks.

That said its not always necessary to be such a Buzz kill. :D

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'll see you this story and raise you my girlfriend and I saying to hell with this at the end of the 2nd, having 'alone time', me checking the score afterward (not IMMEDIATELY afterward), telling her it was 3-2, and agreeing that the hockey gods are pervs.

Long story short I'm getting lucky when the oilers suck from here on in ;)

those two goals came in less than 5 minutes...
poor guy. maybe it will get better for you with practice

;)

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't catch the game, but watched some highlights. I was liking what I saw on some of the chances where we DIDN'T score, namely getting the puck on goal, and then crashing the net for the rebounds. This team has been terrible at that all season long.

Always feels good to get a road win against Calgary. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hey...it doesn't take much to critique this win. The deficiencies couldn't be more obvious. I have written about the deficiencies on this team for years now and it was no different tonight.

Change of pace...I made a decision to just enjoy a little snippet of success.
Dont worry there will be plenty of time to critique this team this season...the team still stinks.

That said its not always necessary to be such a Buzz kill. :D

heh. Its just shocking how far south Ebs, RNH, Hall have gone.

You look at a hopeless club like Calgary and 3 guys have scored more goals than any Oiler. One of them is a raw rookie 18yrs old with more jam than any of the ballerinas here.

Really bad work habits got reinforced tonight. That was possibly the most brutal first period any team in the NHL has played this year.

more buzz kill, haha

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Hall - Arco - Eberle (Hall & Ebs seem to need each other)
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky (Was effective early on, gives us a legitimate line to play against other top lines)
Gagner - Nuge - Yak (Soft minutes, but could kickstart Nuge)
Joenssu - Acton/Smyth - Smyth/Gazdic (Ach)

aseef26

Mar 20, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, I hope so too. That line had some strong shifts.
I was hoping to see Yak with Gags and Perron, but Gagner and Hemsky is OK too. Those guys will look after him.

Gagner was a well deserved third star tonight for all his fans who may have missed that :sarcasm:

Perron never passes to yakupov. I really wanted to see Perron with gags and eberle as the 2nd line with Yakupov on the top line, but keeping the units consistent is equally important. This is one of the better lineups Eakins has put together outside of the PP, so let's ride it out

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Dubnyk played well tonight. Bryzgalov also played well tonight. We beat the Flames/Heat at both levels. A little bit of Heaven. Let it soak in a bit. Have to enjoy a win. Relish in it. Let it soak in.

Columbis next game and Florida after that...Have to turn this into a roll now.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Hall - Arco - Eberle (Hall & Ebs seem to need each other)
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky (Was effective early on, gives us a legitimate line to play against other top lines)
Gagner - Nuge - Yak (Soft minutes, but could kickstart Nuge)
Joenssu - Acton/Smyth - Smyth/Gazdic (Ach)

Other than Smyth, I'd be perfectly happy if that 4th line never pulled on an Oilers jersey ever again, actually.

Smyth-Lander/Horak-Jones

Please. Put some guys out there who can take a pass, make a pass, play defense, and cycle the puck. Cuz neither of Acton nor Gazdic are capable of it.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I just can't help but smiling after watching that Hemsky goal.

Yakupov's excitement is infectious.

Even with how terrible this year is it's always great to beat the Flames.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I just can't help but smiling after watching that Hemsky goal.

Yakupov's excitement is infectious.

Even with how terrible this year is it's always great to beat the Flames.

despite the overall poor quality of hockey, I will never complain about the oilers beating the flames. I for sure was not one of the people from earlier who were hoping for such a result.

still not much to be excited about. 3 pts behind the next team, and they have two games in hand.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Other than Smyth, I'd be perfectly happy if that 4th line never pulled on an Oilers jersey ever again, actually.

Smyth-Lander/Horak-Jones

Please. Put some guys out there who can take a pass, make a pass, play defense, and cycle the puck. Cuz neither of Acton nor Gazdic are capable of it.

I don't get the Gazdic hate, he throws his weight around and goes hard, sure he doesn't have the best hands but he puts in 110% effort all the time.

Plus you're saying you don't want to see Joensuu. When he's healthy, he's better than anyone that you have on your fourth line. He was playing amazing before getting hurt...
what has Jones does this year.... absolutely nothing. Give me Joensuu and/or Gazdic throwing their weight around, going hard and playing the body over Jones everyday.

MacT and Eakins WILL have a fighter on the team (MacT always did when he was a coach and he's a hard nosed type of guy) and Eakins is from the Toronto system (look at their 4th lines lol). Gazdic is a serviceable player, provides energy and can hit... I'd take him on our roster over most other options out there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
despite the overall poor quality of hockey, I will never complain about the oilers beating the flames. I for sure was not one of the people from earlier who were hoping for such a result.

still not much to be excited about. 3 pts behind the next team, and they have two games in hand.

I called the win tonight but not too impressed with how they went out and got it.

Oh well, take the two pts, move on.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't get the Gazdic hate, he throws his weight around and goes hard, sure he doesn't have the best hands but he puts in 110% effort all the time.

Plus you're saying you don't want to see Joensuu. When he's healthy, he's better than anyone that you have on your fourth line. He was playing amazing before getting hurt...
what has Jones does this year.... absolutely nothing. Give me Joensuu and/or Gazdic throwing their weight around, going hard and playing the body over Jones everyday.

MacT and Eakins WILL have a fighter on the team (MacT always did when he was a coach and he's a hard nosed type of guy) and Eakins is from the Toronto system (look at their 4th lines lol). Gazdic is a serviceable player, provides energy and can hit... I'd take him on our roster over most other options out there.

In yesterdays game Gazdik made one of the worst passes seen this year. He's really been not noticeable lately except when making the odd brutal play or getting owned on shifts. I thought he was going to be a bit better player than Brown but hasn't really shown that. I still Eager is way more talented and should probably be here instead in a 4th line role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad