Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win 4-2: Started from the bottom now we're here

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Great 3rd period tonight and a huge win... take that Calgary. :D

However, I think Nuge played bad tonight. Lost faceoffs, gave away the puck often and wasn't able to create much offense. Philip Larsen also was sluggish, and Will Acton and Corey Potter are playing in the wrong league. Just have to point out the negative things, what would a PGT be without complaining? :laugh:

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Brian Mcgratten= real life Doug Glatt

Was just going to post something similar. I usually don't get a chance to watch After Hours (connection in Indonesia is *****), but McGratton is a classy fella in the interview. The odd time I have caught interviews it's just the lame "Gotta go out and give 110%" crap - this is refreshing.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames fan coming in peace.

Welp. Nothing much to say other than well done to your Oilers. You staked your claim early in the third and it was all downhill from there for the Flames. Oilers deserved this win. Grats.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wasn't a great effort from us, they're not a great team either, but I'm glad all the Flames fans obsessed with hounding us this year (seriously like half the top threads at CP on any given day are threads about the Oilers ... OMG Bryzgalov allowed 5 goalz vs teh Abborstferd!) and lapping it up got a nice middle finger handed to them in the 3rd.

It looks like Dubnyk is finding his groove, the Bryzgalov move already paying dividends. Looks like Smid brought the suck to Cowtown.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
6qznyx_zpseec25d2d.gif

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
It was great to see the team finally show a pulse.

I know that since the playoffs are already a virtual impossibility some people would prefer to just bomb out the rest of the way and land another high draft pick. Hate that philosophy with a passion.

While seeing the Oilers flounder gives me some hope that changes will happen, the truth is that I would much rather see them win. Who knows, maybe this will inspire them. Maybe this will be just what they needed to get out of the quicksand. It's not likely, but at least it's something.

We need to keep some perspective... the Flames dumped all of their top players last year and are 20 games into their rebuilding process.

Still, some positives. Hemsky and Gagner looked life-like for the first time in a long time. They actually managed to protect a lead for the first time in ages. Once they got going, they were buzzing around inside the Flames end and cycling the puck like Sedins on crack.

It felt good watching the team play well for once, even if it was just for a period.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was great to see the team finally show a pulse.

I know that since the playoffs are already a virtual impossibility some people would prefer to just bomb out the rest of the way and land another high draft pick. Hate that philosophy with a passion.

While seeing the Oilers flounder gives me some hope that changes will happen, the truth is that I would much rather see them win. Who knows, maybe this will inspire them. Maybe this will be just what they needed to get out of the quicksand. It's not likely, but at least it's something.

We need to keep some perspective... the Flames dumped all of their top players last year and are 20 games into their rebuilding process.

Still, some positives. Hemsky and Gagner looked life-like for the first time in a long time. They actually managed to protect a lead for the first time in ages. Once they got going, they were buzzing around inside the Flames end and cycling the puck like Sedins on crack.

It felt good watching the team play well for once, even if it was just for a period.

The bolded cant be stated enough. They were also without 2 of their best players tonight.

That said this team has had NOTHING in terms of positives all season until this game. If a win against a rival team in the early stages of their rebuild is what it takes to give the fans a bone thats okay.

Oiler fans have witnessed suckage long enough. Even little victory's matter at this point.

bigguy13

Nov 16, 2010
Edmonton
the turning point of the game was Ference punching Stepniak a few on his nose. Finally somebody shows some passion on this team, we need more from our captain

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Great 3rd period tonight and a huge win... take that Calgary. :D

However, I think Nuge played bad tonight. Lost faceoffs, gave away the puck often and wasn't able to create much offense. Philip Larsen also was sluggish, and Will Acton and Corey Potter are playing in the wrong league. Just have to point out the negative things, what would a PGT be without complaining? :laugh:

RNH definitely had his struggles but he was the best FO man on the team this game. Gordon had a rare bad game on the dot.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The score should've been 4-0 Flames after the first period and I think we all know that.

The first line is brutal right now. I remain with that impression because they were beyond hopeless in the first period, nearly got scored on in the first shift, and did get scored on in the first with the brutal giveaway by RNH.

I thought this was the year and time that our first line was going to take the bull by the horns. They didn't even show a pulse until half way through the game.

Now explain how they can play so bad in the first half of the game and then own the 3rd period?

Everybody on the first line should be made to explain that to the entire club. But yeah, you actually scored a goal in the 3rd. A line composed of two number 1 drafts and a former 74 pt player actually manages to score a goal for the first time in several games. I should be doing backflips.
Every one of the kids has been brutal this year. No excuses.

Good thing we got some support scoring because this first line thinks its a big deal when they manage to score one goal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The score should've been 4-0 Flames after the first period and I think we all know that.

The first line is brutal right now. I remain with that impression because they were beyond hopeless in the first period, nearly got scored on in the first shift, and did get scored on in the first with the brutal giveaway by RNH.

I thought this was the year and time that our first line was going to take the bull by the horns. They didn't even show a pulse until half way through the game.

Now explain how they can play so bad in the first half of the game and then own the 3rd period?

Everybody on the first line should be made to explain that to the entire club. But yeah, you actually scored a goal in the 3rd. A line composed of two number 1 drafts and a former 74 pt player actually manages to score a goal for the first time in several games. I should be doing backflips.
Every one of the kids has been brutal this year. No excuses.

Good thing we got some support scoring because this first line thinks its a big deal when they manage to score one goal.

Losing so often breaks your confidence. Hopefully this win spurs the first line.

SchultzSquared*

So night after getting a goal Yak looks dangerous picks up assist... imagine that... does well a) when given ice time b) played with skilled players

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RNH definitely had his struggles but he was the best FO man on the team this game. Gordon had a rare bad game on the dot.

A fairly meaningless stat considering he handed the puck away easily ten times tonight, was horrible between the facesoffs, and didn't contribute anything all night. Also took a bad, selfish penalty. This is in a word another horrible game against a horrible club by the number one pick in the world.

Its high time for some of these guys to boot themselves in the ass. There was no misfortune in the first period, no hard luck, no excuses, simply didn't skate, didn't compete and the first line with speed to burn somehow looked slow as molasses for the first half of the game and couldn't complete a pass, couldn't complete a rush.

Hard to understand how 18m bucks can't motivate itself to even break out a sweat.

Disgusting effort. Amazing really that theres any praise for a club that laid down for the first 30mins of a game. They should ride the bus home from Calgary for that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Losing so often breaks your confidence. Hopefully this win spurs the first line.

Lack of confidence doesn't tell you to stop working, stop skating, stop doing anything. When are you struggling the first thing you do is play physical, get involved, and get in the game. The first line was hopelessly tentative the first half of this game, had not pace, none of them were moving, they were just standing around getting covered, and wondering why they had no open ice. :shakehead

These guys are either amotivational or dense as 2X4's

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So night after getting a goal Yak looks dangerous picks up assist... imagine that... does well a) when given ice time b) played with skilled players

I think we should just stick with these lines

Hall RNH Eberle
Hemsky Gagner Yakupov
Smyth Gordon Jones
Joensuu Arcobello Gazdic

Would love to have Pitlick back. Any word on him?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

yep, it was a travesty burying him on the 4th line. Gagner and Yak work well together. This was obvious last year. Does Eakins not know that? Half the board would've figured out to keep Yak with Gagner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad