Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win 4-2: Started from the bottom now we're here

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But Ference wasn't sticking up for his teammates. He was lashing out because he didn't like being hit hard. That was literally his explanation post game.

Also, this narrative that the win was somehow all down to Ference jumping Stempniak is ... odd. True, the Oilers came out and had a better second period, but didn't have anything to show for it, and then Wideman blew one by Dubnyk and the wind went out of their sails. They went into the second intermission down by two and came out a fractured group of individuals trying to make things happen with one-and-done displays of skill in the third. 10 seconds before Eberle scored on just such an effort, the broadcasters were saying just this, remarking that the team didn't look anything like they did in the second, were reverting back to old habits and .... Oh, how about that, it worked. :laugh:

You can say the win is Ference's if you like, but to me that sounds like butterfly wings flapping in China eventually causing a hurricane. To me, the team was giving up and playing like crap in the third until Eberle scored a goal and reinvigorated the whole group. The win is a heck of a lot more Eberle's than Ference's.

Do you remember Vandermeer destroying Pouliot?

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Vandermeer was on the Flames and he messed up MA Pouliot bad.

Ah, geez, that's right! Poo scored a goal and Vandy just went ape on him and cut him open? I never saw the game or the fight, but I remember hearing about it at the time. Was the game even televised? Can't find a video anywhere.

How'd that go over with the Oiler fan base? (Like I need to ask).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ah, geez, that's right! Poo scored a goal and Vandy just went ape on him and cut him open? I never saw the game or the fight, but I remember hearing about it at the time. Was the game even televised? Can't find a video anywhere.

How'd that go over with the Oiler fan base? (Like I need to ask).

Pouliot didn't even hit him from what I recall. I remember the fight but I couldn't find it earlier tonight either.

PikNailAndWeWontFail

Jun 16, 2012
Haha, well, fair enough. I did say I couldn't think of a single Oiler injured, though. Eberle was fine after the Torres hit, Hall didn't miss a shift after Weise's headshot, RNH bounced right back. I have no recollection of the Hemsky hit, but that guy gets put through the boards so often, they all kind of blur together. ;)

Carcillo on Tom Gilbert

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
I actually disagree on the PP point. He moves the puck much better and has much lower risk shots, that get through on average than either J.Schultz or Belov. Belov has a shot, but he almost always makes a completely terrible rushed pass, or looks off the open man to shoot it a million miles wide or right into a player in front of him.

J. Schultz can't maintain the pressure from the point, and it is almost always lost at the blue line.

IMO, Larsen is much better at QBing it from the point.

I didn't say anything about Belov, because I hate him on the point just as much as Larsen for the PP. And there is absolutely no f-ing way he gets more shots through than JS. Not even close. He consistently puts his shot into the SINGLE place he can't...often when there is only ONE guy in the shooting lane. I honestly cannot fathom someone watching the games and concluding that Larsen gets more shots through from the point- and I haven't even mentioned how many times his shot selection is just plain stupid i.e. nobody in front, too impatient, etc.

In conclusion: not sure if serious?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The ference thing was long long overdue coming from an oiler. I could care less of hits are 'legal' or not. This team has such a soft rep that even mid to non physical You may guys think they can toss their weight around. You may not deter the heavyweights from being physical but you can certainly curb other teams feelings that you can get away with anything.

Next time someone lays a huge 'clean' hit on any of our players the same thing should happen. This is 10 years overdue.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Ference mans up in a game where the Flames were taking liberties and controlling the game physically in every exchange with the Oilers looking like limp noodles. Ference gets angry, takes issue to an overzealous hit (and the flames were being overzealous, talking trash, etc) and Regehr messes up Stempniak pretty good with the collective faithful in Calgary looking at the bloodied flame face and noting that the atmosphere and tone of the game had changed right there. introduce intensity, ill will, and its suddenly game on.

This fight was a player sending a message to both benches. A real player, not a prizefighter or a staged clownfighter. This was a real player, real captain saying thats ****ing enough.

Team responded in kind by replacing confusion and doubt with anger and passion.

This is Ference's Win.
I'll chime in a little late and say I agree as well.

Lol. Lot of tough guys in this thread. I know it's a pretty hard mental exercise, but imagine the roles are reversed. Perron goes in on the forecheck, lays a clean hit on Brodie. Brodie gets up and starts feeding Perron shots. Perron ends up with a busted nose, missing teeth and probably back on the LTIR with another concussion.
Well, at some point you may get your wish. Perron plays a borderline game at times in the front of the net. He may get tuned up sometime this season. You live by the sword, you die by it.

Stempniak finished the game on Saturday and is playing in Winnipeg right now, so he's fine. he threw a big-boy check and had to fight a big-boy fight. If Stempniak just bumped with Ference, or just made a play on the puck, we all wouldnt be having this discussion. But instead he chose to hit like a tough guy, and if you hit like a tough guy, you sometimes have to fight like a tough guy. Thats hockey.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Can't believe people are complaining about Ference tuning in Stempniak. If more of the ballerinas on this squad would stick up for themselves , we might be able to actually start calling them a team.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I really think they should try Gagner on the wing instead of C. I know they want to get him going but Arco stuck on line 3 or 4 when he's a better C than Gagner makes little to no sense.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Yak - Arco - Gagner
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

I want to see something like that.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I really think they should try Gagner on the wing instead of C. I know they want to get him going but Arco stuck on line 3 or 4 when he's a better C than Gagner makes little to no sense.

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Yak - Arco - Gagner
Perron - Gordon - Hemsky

I want to see something like that.

agreed, seems obvious to everyone, when gagner first came back i thought there was some mention of eakins thinking gagner had earned the spot/shouldnt lose it to injury, but at this point hes had a go and been less effective than arco.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
agreed, seems obvious to everyone, when gagner first came back i thought there was some mention of eakins thinking gagner had earned the spot/shouldnt lose it to injury, but at this point hes had a go and been less effective than arco.

Every time I have seen Gagner on the wing I have been less impressed than I have been when seeing him at C. He's more effective with extra room and Cs generally plays less along the boards than wingers. Board work is not one of Gagner's strengths.

If his offense doesn't round back into form shortly though, I have no problem with putting Gagner on the 4th between Smyth and Jones(+ 2nd PP), while Arco plays top 6. At least until Gagner finds his game again.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Arcobello - Hemsky
Joensuu - Gordon - Perron
Smyth - Gagner - Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad