Sep 18, 2014
I just don't get why we can't split up the talent

------lucic------
Jp-------------Mcdavid
Bouchard-------Nurse

------strome/khaira/reider----
Rattie--------------Drai
Larsson----------- Klef

Because then we lost the symmetry of 5 LH on one unit and 5 RH on the other. You break that, the game automatically ends. Or so TMac's been told...

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Even a loss in WPG tomorrow doesn't mean that it was the worse thing. The bonding was something that hopefully yielded long-term benefits.

I.E. Guys getting to know each other more and if at some point someone is off personality wise maybe someone steps up and helps the other through it.

I agree. 1-3 when in how many time zones for 2 weeks to start the season isnt too bad.

Stick with the winning lineup and see what plays out. I commend Tmac for sitting the players he has. Broz then Benning and Kassian. That's what we wanted on here right?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
At first I was like omg finally a rh shot!... But he's playing the right point? As in McDavid can't say him up due to McDavid on the left?

So McDavid can pass to drai for one timers assuming he's on the right hashmarks.. and drai can set up rattie, but neither can set up a point man across ice?

Not only that let's put a skinny player with a bit of an injury history in the most punishing spot on the ice.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Well to be fair WPG was saved by Broissot (I know, I know) against CAR. Carolina looks incredible to begin this year, and carried most of the play vs the Jets

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
"I hope you enjoyed simulating a competent power play, boys. You will never experience that again."
TMac had us worried.. We thought he was trying to fix our PP..
Did he feel the need to say that just so it wouldnt offend Lucic?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Personally I find it a little bit odd that the oilers flew home after the Rangers game and are flying to the Peg the morning of the game

while the win was good-there are a few things that are of concerns

--McDavid has been in on 100% of the oilers goals
--only 6 players have pts
--5 goals in 3 games

They looked a little better against the rangers--but against the jets you are playing a better team
If McDavid, Larsson, Nurse, Draisaitl, Talbot come to play and are on top of their game, the Oilers will squeek one out. These are the 5 horses on this team. If any of these guys are off, or 2 + of them are off, It will get ugly quick. Jets are too good and are built the right way. I expect a 4 to 5 goal drubbing to be honest.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Well to be fair WPG was saved by Broissot (I know, I know) against CAR. Carolina looks incredible to begin this year, and carried most of the play vs the Jets

The Jets aren't exactly clicking to start the year and are definitely beatable right now. Are they beatable by the Oilers? Probably depends on whether Todd's gonna do Todd things. Judging by the simulated Winnipeg PP...Todd's gonna do Todd things.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
What changed in Todd's coaching from our miracle 2016-17 season ? Our powerplay was like 6th in the league that year was it not? He also oversaw very successful powerplays in SJ, with the help of his buddy woodcroft.

So why all the sudden is it so hard? What happened? Doesn't make sense to me.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
What changed in Todd's coaching from our miracle 2016-17 season ? Our powerplay was like 6th in the league that year was it not? He also oversaw very successful powerplays in SJ, with the help of his buddy woodcroft.

Letestu?

Put a right-handed shot on the PP and watch the unit produce.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Ya know, I don't mind the Oilers being bad that much. I mean, I'm used to it.

I do mind that they have the most exciting player in the world and are boring as hell to watch.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

It's not coaching. It's execution. We don't have the skill guys on the point to run an effective PP, and other teams learned how to stop a McDavid sideboards PP.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To all my peeps, A look down memory lane.

Its 1979, Avco cup final, Oilers/Jets last minutes. Jets won. Dave Semenko scores last ever WHA goal. RIP Sammy.

Then this one, 39yrs ago, almost to the day, The introduction to the Oilers first NHL game and some game footage;

Then just because 1979 was a very good year..

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Why Rattie? Wouldn't Bouchard be a more useful guy to do this? McLellan scared that the players might like what they see? So he chooses someone that clearly wouldn't make sense to do this so no one questions it.

Meh...this team is annoying.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Letestu?

Put a right-handed shot on the PP and watch the unit produce.

Letestu went on a heater and saved the PP that year. Then we wasted 17/18 hoping it would happen again and stubbornly refused to change anything.

In SJ McLellan and Woodcroft could ice a 1st PP unit that was basically 5 all-stars. Anyone could have got PP results with that team. They barely ever got a thing from their 2nd unit, but oh well, the 1st was stacked and always made up for it.

Basically we have to wait until we have a 5 man all-star unit that a blind chimp could get results from, or hope for 2 month magic runs by Letestu's for a good PP here.

Hope the SJ myth's of McLellan/Woodcroft die soon. They did nothing special in SJ. Just rode their top guys into the ground (like MCLellan does with McDavid now) and got good regular seasons thanks to having a stacked lineup. Then they got destroyed every playoffs because of being out-coached, and also because their top guys were exhausted from being run into the ground all regular season. Nothing special about these coaches. They are the Kevin Lowe equivalents of coaches. Building cred off lucky situations and then being exposed when they actually have to do work, adapt and made the best use of what they have in a situation that isn't stacked in their favour off the bat.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
It's not coaching. It's execution. We don't have the skill guys on the point to run an effective PP, and other teams learned how to stop a McDavid sideboards PP.

I think it helps if the guy running the PP from the half boards is a threat to shoot. RNH and McDavid aren't scaring the PKers by attacking the box so the PKers can focus on shutting down passing lanes.

Also if they moved the puck quickly and got some quick one-timers on net the PK would be forced to be more reactive. This usually results in PKers skating around more and getting tired, dropping to block shots, and opening up passing lanes. Let Klefbom or Puljujarvi or Bouchard rip a few one-timers and other options would open up.

It's like in baseball, a pitcher can't set up his off speed pitches if he's not effective with his fastball and this makes it a lot easier for the batter. On the PP, without shooting threats, a one-time option or attacking the box the PKers have it easier because they just have to focus on shutting down passing lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad