Pre-Game Talk: Oilers VS Jets -Oiler fly home for 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Heading to the game today, and I don't have a very good feeling about it.

I just hope we see some secondary scoring, we'll need it.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Wouldn’t want Puljujarvi to think that he’s actually earned a shot at anything that resembles an offensive opportunity in the lineup. Even if it’s just pretend.
Well, everybody on the Jets' PP unit speaks English, so how could he possibly be a part of that drill?

Reactions: PulYou

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What I expect:
lot's of standing around and sitting back, next to no forechecking, terrible special teams and McDavid having to do whatever it takes to keep the team in it.

What I want:
That said hard work, a strong forecheck and to just look like they give a damn on a nightly basis. But this team is allergic to hard work.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hoping for losses until McLellan fired. Need someone open to change for things like this embarassing pp.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: mouz135

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I also know that Caggiula gets a lot of hate around here but if he keeps on playing like the last 2 games. He is a perfect 4th liner that can maybe play up the line-up when injuries come.

Also I know Yams has some issues right now but he drew 2 penalties last game and I think he did very good in that department last season in his 9 game stint. I think he adds value in that way because as a team we don't draw a whole lot outside of McDavid. Part of our issue with our Power-Play last year the team would only get 0/1/2 pps per game and I think its hard to really get a good power-play going when you have such few chances.

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
Jets look mediocre to start the season. Possibly feeling the weight of expectations like the oilers did last year. 3 - 0 Oilers. Drai heats up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
WPG with 6 goals in their last 4 games. Would be the time to take advantage of that. Although the last game was a 3-0 win with Brossoit making a lot of saves I believe.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
WPG with 6 goals in their last 4 games. Would be the time to take advantage of that. Although the last game was a 3-0 win with Brossoit making a lot of saves I believe.

And the Oilers have 5 Goals in 3 games where Mcdavid has been involved in 100% of goals. They're probably thinking the same thing.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I also know that Caggiula gets a lot of hate around here but if he keeps on playing like the last 2 games. He is a perfect 4th liner that can maybe play up the line-up when injuries come.

Also I know Yams has some issues right now but he drew 2 penalties last game and I think he did very good in that department last season in his 9 game stint. I think he adds value in that way because as a team we don't draw a whole lot outside of McDavid. Part of our issue with our Power-Play last year the team would only get 0/1/2 pps per game and I think its hard to really get a good power-play going when you have such few chances.

I think the biggest problem with Cagguila comes from the coach. The coach puts him in situations where he shouldnt. The guy is not a good penalty killer, yet TM puts him out there no matter how much he fails. He also puts him higher up in the lineup than he should play. People see this and crucify Cagguila (myself included at times). But honestly its more of the coaches fault than the players fault.

I think hes good as a 4LW, which means that hes likely paid too much.

Not to defend TM too much but Chiarelli hasnt given him much to work with in terms of wingers. But honestly TM is so set in his ways, its obvious he loves Cagguila, and doesnt put him in positions to succeed. TM just doesnt do much to find players on the team, defined roles. Especially players in the bottom 6.

Yamamoto has been ok. Hes not as noticeable as I would like but he finds ways to make plays and make some difference. I just dont think he has a lot of chemistry with Draisaitl and Lucic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm real torn since I think this season is about development and I just don't see that happening under this coach. Mind you, the coach in waiting is pretty mediocre too and there's no chance in hell they do an actual search. Basically we're doomed no matter what so let's at least hope it's an entertaining 7-6 game.

Reactions: PulYou

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is a horrible matchup for a team struggling with identity.

I think the team of early last season had a shot against that team (which is much better than the version we've seen in the first 3 games) but I can't see this game being competitive unless a lot of players who have been ghosts all of a sudden appear.
They are capable of being a lot better but I haven't see any signs of it happening yet.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm real torn since I think this season is about development and I just don't see that happening under this coach. Mind you, the coach in waiting is pretty mediocre too and there's no chance in hell they do an actual search. Basically we're doomed no matter what so let's at least hope it's an entertaining 7-6 game.

Gultuzan cant be any worse but I agree ... coaches are rarely hired from outside the organization, during the season. And the way they set up the coaching staff it seems inevitable that Gulutzan will take over from TM if hes fired. Season already seems like a loss, I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->