Oilers Unlucky

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
A lot of people really underestimating both Hall and RNH, I think they will both be superstar players in this league.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I wont comment on some other players.. but from watching Hall last year I dont think there is any chance he will be a letdown for the Oilers. He creates so many scoring chances it's ridiculous. He could have had a lot more goals than he did last season.

There is not many 40 goal guys in the league.. and i think he has a real good chance at being one of them. If that isn't 1st overall worthy.. then i don't know what is.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Bryan Berard was an elite defender who absent his eye injury would have put up big numbers for a long time - he oozed offensive skill. He was also traded for Wade Redden, who was an olympian on Team Canada's 2006 squad and up until his complete regression in recent years, was regarded as an outstanding puck moving defenseman.

Chris Phillips never lived up to his #1 billing, but he's been a solid #2 defender with the franchise since he was drafted - and is likely going to retire a Senator. While not necessarily a perfect #1 pick, he was the best available in a weak draft year. Up until Zdeno Chara in the 3rd round, there's really nobody in 1996 in the first 3 rounds who has done anything significant (lesser lights like Zyuzin or Dumont, sure, but I'd pick Phillips over them).... and Chara was a throw-in when the deal got made for Yashin in 2001, showing just how little he had developed in the 5 years since his draft date. It was a fine pick, all things considered.

Daigle was a bit of a miss, but sometimes it happens.

A real miss would be Lawton in 1984. :)
Daigle also would not have the first pick overall if it hadn't have been Randy Sexton picking him for Ottawa. It's a while back but it seemed to me that Daigle was ranked #1 early in the year, but by the last ranking I don't believe he was still rated #1. The problem was that Sexton was touting this kid so much early in the year with his plan for a "personal services contract" to make a lot of money on his marketing rights that he wasn't about to change his mind by the time the draft rolled around.

Daigle being overall no.1 pick was widely questioned even before it was made because of the progress that Pronger and Kariya made during that year compared to Daigle, who didn't progress after the midpoint of that year.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
They were bad at the worst possible time, is it me or did they get stuck with some unlucky 1st overall pick years? Hall and (probably) Hopkins are good but, not on the level of most other 1st overalls and now they are probably gonna miss out on an actual 1st overall talent in Yakupov next season, sucks to be an Oilers fan having to settle as those 2 as your picks for the future.

Interesting post.. I think the Oilers are actually lucky to have the first overall pick (2) years in a row. The Oilers had serious injuries the past 2 years that if they were a fairly healthy team they would not have been the worst team (2) years in a row. These draft picks will set the re-build up in warp speed.

arsmaster*

The Oilers arent unlucky at all.

Hall and RHN/Larsson both have potential to be 1st team NHL all stars in their prime.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
The Oilers arent unlucky at all.

Hall and RHN/Larsson both have potential to be 1st team NHL all stars in their prime.

That might be stretching things. Both would have to be the best in the NHL at their respective positions, which just doesn't seem like a good bet to make.

And to throw my irons into this fire, I'd take Hall over Kane and Johnson. Tavares vs. Hall is for all intents and purposes a coin toss for me, so both Oilers fans and Islanders fans are probably better off keeping their guy. Their not just great players, they're our great players, a subtle distinction that makes all the difference from a fan's point of view.

I feel those discounting Hall may be falling into the same trap I did with Stamkos after his first season. I didn't see much of his actual play and thus had no idea how good he really was. His play, from the accounts of TB fans I remember, was much better than his 40-something points would suggest, and the same thing is happening with Hall.

Hall's counting numbers last year don't do justice to just how dominant he was on the ice, especially in those final 10 or so games before the injury. He's a truly special player, one greater than the sum of his collective skills. He just has "it," that superstar look and feel. Normal rules of what's possible and not fly out the window. I'm never going to bet against Taylor Hall accomplishing something, whatever it may be, and that says a lot.

Last edited:

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
As a draft eligible prospect, Kane wasn't viewed *that* highly. Hall definitely would have graded better than him on the average scouting report.

Kane was a coinflip with Turris and JVR at the time, no?

That being said....

Crosby is on a completely different level than Hall. Stamkos can catch Crosby once he becomes consistent - in fact, he could be better with consistency. Ovechkin is on par with Stamkos right now, I'd say. Hard to call a 2a/2b.

I think the general consensus is that Crosby, Stamkos and Ovechkin are unquestionably better than Hall.

The questions come when we get into the Tavares/Kane range. Frankly, as a Rangers fan, I get all Isles games and I see a ton of Tavares. He's magical. The kid is amazing and horribly underrated solely because he plays on an abysmal team. I find it very difficult to see Hall over Tavares right now. As a goal scorer, yeah, Hall's going to be better, but Tavares is like a more skilled Toews out there for NYI

I'd put Hall on par with Kane at this point.

Something we all need to remember is that even Crosby and Ovechkin are still not in their primes. We have no idea what kind of animals these guys will be at their peaks - for all we know in 15 years we might be singing the praises of Erik Johnson - greatest American to ever lace them up.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Hall-RNH-Eberle... Watch its gonna be one of the top lines in NHL history:yo:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

That being said....

Crosby is on a completely different level than Hall. Stamkos can catch Crosby once he becomes consistent - in fact, he could be better with consistency. Ovechkin is on par with Stamkos right now, I'd say. Hard to call a 2a/2b.

I think the general consensus is that Crosby, Stamkos and Ovechkin are unquestionably better than Hall.

The questions come when we get into the Tavares/Kane range. Frankly, as a Rangers fan, I get all Isles games and I see a ton of Tavares. He's magical. The kid is amazing and horribly underrated solely because he plays on an abysmal team. I find it very difficult to see Hall over Tavares right now. As a goal scorer, yeah, Hall's going to be better, but Tavares is like a more skilled Toews out there for NYI

Something we all need to remember is that even Crosby and Ovechkin are still not in their primes. We have no idea what kind of animals these guys will be at their peaks - for all we know in 15 years we might be singing the praises of Erik Johnson - greatest American to ever lace them up.

I dunno about Stamkos becoming better than Crosby. Crosby was on an amazing pace this season and even if Stamkos was consistent it would have been hard for him to keep on par. Also, Stamkos arguably isnt even the ebst player on his team. Setup man St-Louis had more pts than him and is a hart nominee. Crosby had virtually nobody and led his team in scoring by 16 despite playing 41 games. Don't get me wrong Stamkos will be a star in the league for years to come, but crosby could become the next generational talent in the league, which IMO he is already close to and hes only getting better. If you look at what he has accomplished at age 23 its amazing, I doubt Stamkos will have the same resume in 3 years.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

That being said....

I doubt Stamkos will ever catch up to Crosby. Don't get me wrong, Stamkos is a superstar, but I think their might be a slight drop in his production once MSL retires. As for Crosby, I don't think I need to indulge, the guy creates and finishes plays all on his own without a real scoring winger. Crosby is a generational talent, and the league can only pray that he recovers fully from his concussion.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Could you imagine what Crosby could accomplish with St. Louis AND Vinny/Malone/Downie on his line instead of guys like Dupuis, Kunitz, etc. and the occasional shift with Geno?

Anyways, I think we will be alright with Hall and RNH going forward, definitely nothing to complain about that's for sure.

Who knows, the better of JT and Hall may just end up being the player on the better team or better linemates.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Why is everyone hating on EJ on this board. Name a top 5 picked defensemen (Under the age 25) that is/has reached their potential and isn't playing with flaws. No way you take Taylor Hall of EJ in two years.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Why is everyone hating on EJ on this board. Name a top 5 picked defensemen (Under the age 25) that is/has reached their potential and isn't playing with flaws. No way you take Taylor Hall of EJ in two years.

I would take Taylor Hall over EJ in a heart beat in 2 years almost guaranteed. Not that EJ won't be a good player I just think Hall will be a star

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I'm not sure there's much Johnson hate, I'll take him on the oilers any day. I agree that it takes d-men longer to develop, but that's also the point. No one really has said anything bad about Johnson's game, just saying to date he's behind every other first overall pick post lockout IMO. If he explodes in 3-5 years, then it all changes.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Well being a player who has had a concussion might not bode well for his future.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
I'm not sure there's much Johnson hate, I'll take him on the oilers any day. I agree that it takes d-men longer to develop, but that's also the point. No one really has said anything bad about Johnson's game, just saying to date he's behind every other first overall pick post lockout IMO. If he explodes in 3-5 years, then it all changes.

I just didn't get how everyone was taking Hall over EJ this year. As an Av, Johnson looked like a completely new player and looked like he could carry his team. I don't think a lot of people saw him while he was here (as we were the worst second half team), but Hall hasn't finished a season and while he looked good he was still just a rookie.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I just didn't get how everyone was taking Hall over EJ this year. As an Av, Johnson looked like a completely new player and looked like he could carry his team. I don't think a lot of people saw him while he was here (as we were the worst second half team), but Hall hasn't finished a season and while he looked good he was still just a rookie.

Johnson has never played a full season either, he came closest to it in 09-10 with 79 games.

Stu Macher

Aug 9, 2008
Burke, VA
While the OP posed a silly argument, there are something in this thread I want to address.

The people saying that Hall has better drive than Tavares. I don't really agree with this. Just because someone is flying around the ice doesn't mean they are more driven. They just play a different game. Tavares has never struck me as "well hopefully he shows up tonight". I think he's as driven to win as anybody.

If I had the choice, I'd take Tavares over Hall, but that's not putting Hall down. I think he's going to be a great player, and he already has shown that he can be. I would just take Tavares over a lot of players in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad