Oilers Unlucky

WestCoast

Oct 25, 2006
They were bad at the worst possible time, is it me or did they get stuck with some unlucky 1st overall pick years? Hall and (probably) Hopkins are good but, not on the level of most other 1st overalls and now they are probably gonna miss out on an actual 1st overall talent in Yakupov next season, sucks to be an Oilers fan having to settle as those 2 as your picks for the future.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I would rather have Taylor Hall than 3 of the previous 5 first overall picks that came before him.

Just saying.

zeus3007*

Yakupov doesn't fit their organizational needs. With Hall, Eberle, MPS, Omark & Hemsky, the wing isn't a concern, center is.

If we get Yakupov, I would pack Omark and/or Hemsky's bags for them.

OMGaudreau

Jun 19, 2006
Well trade Hall and Hopkins to my Flames and you can stay in the basement for a few more years.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
They were bad at the worst possible time, is it me or did they get stuck with some unlucky 1st overall pick years? Hall and (probably) Hopkins are good but, not on the level of most other 1st overalls and now they are probably gonna miss out on an actual 1st overall talent in Yakupov next season, sucks to be an Oilers fan having to settle as those 2 as your picks for the future.

Avs have to settle for Duchene and Landeskog, so....

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I would rather have Taylor Hall than 3 of the previous 5 first overall picks that came before him.

Just saying.

So out of the previous five first overall picks:

Tavares (2009)
Stamkos (2008)
Kane (2007)
EJ (2006)
Crosby (2005)

You'd take Hall over 3 of those players? :eek:

What am I misreading? Lol

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yes...poor, poor Oilers...back to back 1st overall selections. How awful. It's too bad there's not a talent for them available like Lemieux or Gretzky. That franchise could really use a player of that caliber finally...all these years of never having sniffed a Stanley Cup Finals, let alone hoisting a Cup. For a franchise that always seems snake-bitten and having about as much success as the LA Clippers, it woud be nice to see them at long last get a super-star player to lead them to the promised land.

PS - Nobody feels sorry for Edmonton.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
What's wrong with Taylor Hall? As far as I'm concerned he has elite upside as a 40-45 goal scorer who can take over games. Like a healthy "prime performing" Gaborik.

RNH is a risk, but has absolutely massive upside, I seriously think he could be a top 10 center in the league if he pans out.

Two excellent prospects, and what makes Yakupov so much better than Hall? People hype up his rookie season, however he came to the OHL late,and at the same age Hall put up similar numbers. I also think Yakupov will be a very good player, we are talking about elite prospects but to say that it "sucks to settle" for two prime prospects is a little misguided. It's not like Yakupov is a surefire Ovechkin.

All this said, why should we believe the Oilers will be making huge strides next year? All signs point to a lottery pick again, IMO of course. With which they could take a fantastic prospect in Ryan Murray.

This posts seems like one of the many spoiled posters who think there will be a Crosby/Ovechkin in every other draft.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Why is Hall not on the same level as previous 1st overall picks? How is Yakupov a better prospect than Hall? I agree that Nugent-Hopkins has questions but his top end potential is quite high.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
So out of the previous five first overall picks:

Tavares (2009)
Stamkos (2008)
Kane (2007)
EJ (2006)
Crosby (2005)

You'd take Hall over 3 of those players? :eek:

What am I misreading? Lol

I'd say Hall is maybe better than Tavares, is better than Kane and Johnson.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I think Hall can be just as good as Stamkos, call me crazy (all our opinions are relatively worthless anyway).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Guys like Philips, DiPietro, Stefan and Daigle have gone 1st overall, I personally think Hall is a good/legit 1st overall talent, and I feel the same way about RNH. Neither are gonna be the next Crosby, but both elite talents IMO.

the word*

I don't know, Hall dominated games as an 18 year old at times. He just didn't put up decent points scored from the perimeter or power play either, he was pretty damn amazing on some nights. I think the OP underestimates him quite a bit.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Anyone saying that Hall doesn't have upside to be as dominant as Kane, Johnson, or JT was clearly not watching him at all this year. Those 4 guys + Duchene are all pretty close, all of whom are probably a level below Stamkos and may never catch up.

I have no idea why this thread was even made because it's clear what the outcome would be, but even though this draft has some question marks, to suggest Hall is not worthy of being 1st overall or compared to past top picks not named Sid, ovy, or Stamkos, is pretty ridiculous.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Drafting Hall is bad luck? Oh please.... Beyond Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos out of the recent #1's, i would take Hall before all the other ones and maybe even Tavares and Kane, he is at least on their level as far as top end potential is concerned.
This year was probably a bad year to tank but RNH is no slouch either. He could surprise and be better than people think, players with top end hockey IQ and elite vision tend to do very well at any level.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If you are given back-to-back two first overall picks, you can't say the team is unlucky. They are being given a gift

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I don't know, Hall dominated games as an 18 year old at times. He just didn't put up decent points scored from the perimeter or power play either, he was pretty damn amazing on some nights. I think the OP underestimates him quite a bit.

He basically had an identical rookie year to JT and duchene, and if he doesn't get hurt and we have a PP that was any less pathetic as it was this year, he would have put up a 30 goal rookie year.

The guy was dominating games, especially in the last 8-10 games, before his untimely injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad