Oilers Unlucky

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Hall is going to be an absolute stud. He just got better and better as the season went on. The guy is a winner, plain and simple. Filled with intensity and never quits. He created scoring chances on his own as a 18/19 year old rookie. Add 20 pounds to his frame and he'll be a beast.

He's never going to be Crosby though. Does that simple fact make the Oilers unlucky? :help:

And say what you will about this upcoming draft having no top end 1st overall pick waiting but neither did '07. Kane has proven that was wrong. Who's to say RNH(he'll be the Oilers pick) won't?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
RNH maybe you can debate he is a weak first overall pick but no way in hell is Hall. He will be a multiple 40 goal scorer in the NHL. Everyone can see the skill, will and athletics that will make him a superstar.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
So out of the previous five first overall picks:

Tavares (2009)
Stamkos (2008)
Kane (2007)
EJ (2006)
Crosby (2005)

You'd take Hall over 3 of those players? :eek:

What am I misreading? Lol

EJ/Taveres/Kane... easily too... you're massively underating hall because he has played 3/4 of a season, at from what we've seen from all four of these guys he has the most talent, most ability to score, and best chance to be the best player...

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
RNH maybe you can debate he is a weak first overall pick but no way in hell is Hall. He will be a multiple 40 goal scorer in the NHL. Everyone can see the skill, will and athletics that will make him a superstar.

He's only a solid PP away from being a 35 goal scorer next year as a 20 year old IMO. If he didn't get hurt, he probably gets 27-30 as a rookie, so over the next few years I see him really improving those totals with a better PP, getting bigger and more physically mature, and just learning the NHL game even more with experience.

vezna*

hall has good potential, but i don't see how people are saying he'll be better than tavares

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Hall ceiling isn't higher then either of those guys, and both are a lot closer to reaching it. Hall has a better chance of flopping than being better than those guys...

After reading through this entire thread I felt this post wins "Dumbest Post" by a country mile. Not even close to making any argument as to why Hall couldn't be as good - if not better - than the 3 not named Crosby or Stamkos. Every one of the remaining players has a certain skill set that puts them ahead of Hall just as Hall has a skill set that puts him ahead of them. So that said, wouldn't that mean he is right at home among his peers of 1st overall picks, thus making the OP's point completely asinine?

Secondly, people are looking at the upcoming draft at the wrong angle all together. They harp on every player being weak because scouts have called this a weak draft year. It is a weak draft year, but the reason it suffers in comparison to previous drafts is due to depth rather than top end talent. I believe the top 8 of this draft is as good as the top 8 of most of the previous years. RNH will almost certainly be given one more year of developmental time in the CHL but mainly due to physical development. I don't see why he can't become something close to the players he's compared to (somewhere in between Datsyuk and B.Richards).

Ultimately, its pretty clear the OP is talking out of his rectum.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
After reading through this entire thread I felt this post wins "Dumbest Post" by a country mile. Not even close to making any argument as to why Hall couldn't be as good - if not better - than the 3 not named Crosby or Stamkos. Every one of the remaining players has a certain skill set that puts them ahead of Hall just as Hall has a skill set that puts him ahead of them. So that said, wouldn't that mean he is right at home among his peers of 1st overall picks, thus making the OP's point completely asinine?

Secondly, people are looking at the upcoming draft at the wrong angle all together. They harp on every player being weak because scouts have called this a weak draft year. It is a weak draft year, but the reason it suffers in comparison to previous drafts is due to depth rather than top end talent. I believe the top 8 of this draft is as good as the top 8 of most of the previous years. RNH will almost certainly be given one more year of developmental time in the CHL but mainly due to physical development. I don't see why he can't become something close to the players he's compared to (somewhere in between Datsyuk and B.Richards).

Ultimately, its pretty clear the OP is talking out of his rectum.

Wow, I stated my argument later but you just stated vague facts... You make it sound like choosing between the three is like choosing between the three starting Pokemon. It really isn't that simple...

And what is between a Datsyuk and Brad Richards, they are very different players? Have you seen him play or did you just see the title to his prospect thread?

:laugh: I think someone else is talking out of his rectum...

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
He said 3 of the 5 previous...but I guess some people only read what they want to.
Obviously not Crosby.
He could very easily break out like Stamkos did in his 2nd season(he has the speed, and the shot). Although at this moment no way would I have TH over Stamkos.
Hall is faster, bigger and a better goal scorer than Kane, but definitely lacking Kanes vision.
Tavares and Hall are good comparables and way to early to tell who would be better. I'd toss a coin if I had to choose.
Yes, I'd easily take Hall over EJ.

EJ is the only one I'd say yes to, mostly because EJ is taking a long time to develop.

Hall is not a better shooter than Stamkos, and not faster either.
Hall faster than Kane? :help: Not seeing that one.
Tavares has a better overall skill set in my eyes. Hall will be an elite goal scorer, but Tavares strikes me as an elite offensive player in the long run. Hall is definitely a better skater, but I'd give Tavares an edge defensively.

Outside of EJ, I can't see how Hall could be better than the rest.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why cant they? What has Tavares done to prove Hall cant touch him?

No doubt, I love Tavares' game and he's one of my favorite players in the NHL. That said it's not as if he had a Stamkos-like sophomore season. Tavares has better hands IMO, but Hall has speed and drive on Johnny T. I for one echo some of my fellow Oilers fans sentiments that Hall could be behind only Crosby and Stamkos in terms of the last 5 1st overall picks. RNH is up in the air, he might end up being in Kane's class or he might be the weakest forward drafted 1st overall in the last 6 years. Even if he is it's not as if we're talking a garbage hockey player here. Besides there's more to building a team than high picks, they have done well with lower picks like Paajarvi, Eberle, Hartikainen, etc. We add RNH this year and maybe a top 5 pick next year and we're still sitting pretty long term.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
EJ is the only one I'd say yes to, mostly because EJ is taking a long time to develop.

Hall is not a better shooter than Stamkos, and not faster either.
Hall faster than Kane? :help: Not seeing that one.
Tavares has a better overall skill set in my eyes. Hall will be an elite goal scorer, but Tavares strikes me as an elite offensive player in the long run. Hall is definitely a better skater, but I'd give Tavares an edge defensively.

Outside of EJ, I can't see how Hall could be better than the rest.

Well, there's no point comparing any of the 3 to Stamkos, because none of them are on that level yet. When it comes to JT, Kane, and Hall, they are all very different players with high upside, so preferring one over the other isn't really a stretch.

Kane is the most proven of the 3, but he is also the smallest. Not sure if you've seen Hall play, but he has ridiculous speed, and is definitely not slower than Kane or Stamkos. He has a great shot to work with as well.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
just before he got hurt Hall was absolutely dominant. He can take over a game, to me he plays like a smaller Rick Nash. Hall is gonna be a top forward in the game for a long time, not to mention he is 6'1 now and still putting on weight. I would take Hall over Pat Kane for future potential, possibly over Tavares as well and definately over EJ.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wow, I stated my argument later but you just stated vague facts... You make it sound like choosing between the three is like choosing between the three starting Pokemon. It really isn't that simple...

And what is between a Datsyuk and Brad Richards, they are very different players? Have you seen him play or did you just see the title to his prospect thread?

:laugh: I think someone else is talking out of his rectum...

Datysuk and Richards have some differences, but I'd hardly call them "very different players." And wouldn't you need some difference in playing styles to say a player is in between one and another when comparing? Why else would I say in between then? "Player X is somewhere in between Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin." See how ****ing Pejorative Slured that sounds.

And yes, I've seen 7 Rebels games as well as the top prospects game (in which RNH was a step ahead of everyone). He has the shiftiness, back-checking and compete level that resembles Datsyuk's style and decision-making/playmaking that resembles Richards.

However, I wasn't able to make a Pokemon reference, so I guess I lose this argument as well. Are you in grade school AND a lawyer? You're awesome. Wanna trade lives?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Datysuk and Richards have some differences, but I'd hardly call them "very different players." And wouldn't you need some difference in playing styles to say a player is in between one and another when comparing? Why else would I say in between then? "Player X is somewhere in between Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin." See how ****ing Pejorative Slured that sounds.

And yes, I've seen 7 Rebels games as well as the top prospects game (in which RNH was a step ahead of everyone). He has the shiftiness, back-checking and compete level that resembles Datsyuk's style and decision-making/playmaking that resembles Richards.

However, I wasn't able to make a Pokemon reference, so I guess I lose this argument as well. Are you in grade school AND a lawyer? You're awesome. Wanna trade lives?

Even though I'm on your side, let's tread lightly when talking about Pokemon, because when I was trying to catch 'em all that was awesome!

vezna*

Why cant they? What has Tavares done to prove Hall cant touch him?

he was 3 pts away from a 70 pt season in his 2nd year in the NHL in a crappy team like the isles

what has hall done that proves he'll be better than tavares?

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
he was 3 pts away from a 70 pt season in his 2nd year in the NHL in a crappy team like the isles

Well that proves it! Hall got 0 points in his second year, you got me there!

I never said hall would be better. I just dont think either of them has done anything to separate themselves, potential wise, from the other as of yet.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

That's the point though. Hall hasn't played his 2nd year in the NHL yet, but their rookie years were very similar, so it's not exactly surprising to see Hall put up similar numbers to JT in his 2nd year next year.

Since the Oilers have Hall and the fans love the kid, even if their potential is very similar, it's not shocking that NYI fans want JT and Oiler fans want Hall. The attachment you have to that player is tough to break, unless you're getting a player back clearly better, i.e. Stamkos.

Jul 10, 2010
i would actually take hall over the past 4 1sts.

i like him more then stamkos, simply because he has almost the same skill, (slighty less) but has more grit and physicality.
taveras will become a hell of a player, who i feel is underrater simply because he has **** all on his line, but is not as good as hall.
kane is not a first overal in any draft other then his own since 2002.
EJ also shouldnt of gone first, toews should of.
crosby, id obviously rather have then hall.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
i would actually take hall over the past 4 1sts.

i like him more then stamkos, simply because he has almost the same skill, (slighty less) but has more grit and physicality.
taveras will become a hell of a player, who i feel is underrater simply because he has **** all on his line, but is not as good as hall.
kane is not a first overal in any draft other then his own since 2002.
EJ also shouldnt of gone first, toews should of.
crosby, id obviously rather have then hall.

You're a sharks fan? GO SHARKS!!! :laugh:

No one can call you a homer at least, since you're not an Oilers fan. Comes down to personal preference when everyone has a ton of skill.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com
They were bad at the worst possible time, is it me or did they get stuck with some unlucky 1st overall pick years? Hall and (probably) Hopkins are good but, not on the level of most other 1st overalls and now they are probably gonna miss out on an actual 1st overall talent in Yakupov next season, sucks to be an Oilers fan having to settle as those 2 as your picks for the future.

The above is a pretty foolish statement from someone who doesn't seem to really understand the game of hockey. What's important is whether the Oilers are going to get quality players who can contribute to winning a Stanley Cup. Not whether or not they are the best available first overall picks of the last decade.

Hall is already an outshooter as a rookie against top opposition. Power-on-power players who outscore by large margins are some of the best players in the league (see Datysuk). Hall is a guy who had a higher PPG rate in the CHL playoffs than in the regular season - we have not seen the best of him yet, and 'predictions' of his 40 goal ceiling are premature at best.

People usually get all caught up in who the 'best' is - best draft pick, best prospect, best first overall of the last decade. Fortunately hockey is a team game. What defines their career and our enjoyment is team success, rarely individual accolades. If you are focusing on individual accolades it usually means it's because you don't have a Stanley Cup to talk about instead.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Hockey's Future... where potential is more valuable and more guaranteed than current NHL talent

...except the 1st overall of course, it's the holy grail of hockey

Tavaresmagicalplay*

They were bad at the worst possible time, is it me or did they get stuck with some unlucky 1st overall pick years? Hall and (probably) Hopkins are good but, not on the level of most other 1st overalls and now they are probably gonna miss out on an actual 1st overall talent in Yakupov next season, sucks to be an Oilers fan having to settle as those 2 as your picks for the future.
The same thing could have been said about Stamkos and Tampa if you recall. It's too early to tell really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad