Oilers Unlucky

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
While the OP posed a silly argument, there are something in this thread I want to address.

The people saying that Hall has better drive than Tavares. I don't really agree with this. Just because someone is flying around the ice doesn't mean they are more driven. They just play a different game. Tavares has never struck me as "well hopefully he shows up tonight". I think he's as driven to win as anybody.

If I had the choice, I'd take Tavares over Hall, but that's not putting Hall down. I think he's going to be a great player, and he already has shown that he can be. I would just take Tavares over a lot of players in this league.

Even though Tavares has already had to deal with concussion issues.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
While the OP posed a silly argument, there are something in this thread I want to address.

The people saying that Hall has better drive than Tavares. I don't really agree with this. Just because someone is flying around the ice doesn't mean they are more driven. They just play a different game. Tavares has never struck me as "well hopefully he shows up tonight". I think he's as driven to win as anybody.

If I had the choice, I'd take Tavares over Hall, but that's not putting Hall down. I think he's going to be a great player, and he already has shown that he can be. I would just take Tavares over a lot of players in this league.

To be Tavares seems to be one of the most driven players in the NHL. People said he was a puck hog, he refined his playmaking. People said he couldnt skate, he improved drastically there. (Still a bit to go there). People said he didnt play defence, and hes doing much better in his own end. I think we will see consistent improvements from JT, which will make him one of the elite players in the world.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't get why people say RNH is a weak 1st overall. He dominated the WHL as 17 year old in a 164 pound frame. Once he fills out, he'll be a hell of a olayer for us. Out of most the recent 1st overall picks, he has to most room for improvement.

I think the Oil are pretty lucky to potenially draft a prolific duo in RNH and Hall in back to back years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get why people say RNH is a weak 1st overall. He dominated the WHL as 17 year old in a 164 pound frame. Once he fills out, he'll be a hell of a olayer for us. Out of most the recent 1st overall picks, he has to most room for improvement.

I think the Oil are pretty lucky to potenially draft a prolific duo in RNH and Hall in back to back years.

And he has said himself that he is 6'1" 172 lbs now. He will probably be in the 175-177 lb range by draft time, size is becoming less and less of an issue and this was supposed to be his biggest weakness. As an Oiler fan, i feel so "unlucky" that we will most likely draft this kid.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
The NHL should implement a rule that would prevent a team from drafting number one in consecutive years.

RStar*

Hall ceiling isn't higher then either of those guys, and both are a lot closer to reaching it. Hall has a better chance of flopping than being better than those guys...

:laugh:

You've run to the thread and every post I've seen is blind Hall hate.

Pathetic.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
As a Flames fan, I'd take Hall over Patrick Kane all day long. I think he's going to be way better. His passes won't be as pretty but his overall effect on the score sheet will be greater.

I also would take RNH over Kane, and his passes will be prettier.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The chances of being unlucky with back to back 1st picks is extremely low lol. At least one of rnh or hall will become very good players and higher one would think.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The chances of being unlucky with back to back 1st picks is extremely low lol. At least one of rnh or hall will become very good players and higher one would think.

Depends what you consider really good. I think Hall will end up being a possibly PPG player and same with RNH. The 2010 draft was pretty bad imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As a Flames fan, I'd take Hall over Patrick Kane all day long. I think he's going to be way better. His passes won't be as pretty but his overall effect on the score sheet will be greater.

I also would take RNH over Kane, and his passes will be prettier.

Very classy post from a rival. I agree, IMO RNH will be a bigger and grittier version of Kane but probably not as good of a goalscorer. As for Hall Vs. Kane, I also agree on that front. Tavares is up in the air and Sid and Stamkos are on much higher levels than RNH and Hall.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Depends what you consider really good. I think Hall will end up being a possibly PPG player and same with RNH. The 2010 draft was pretty bad imo.

:huh: Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Skinner, all were solid this year, meanwhile we have yet to see Gudbranson, Nino, Gromley, etc. make an impact in the league which they undoubtedly will.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
:huh: Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Skinner, all were solid this year, meanwhile we have yet to see Gudbranson, Nino, Gromley, etc. make an impact in the league which they undoubtedly will.

Seguin only had 22 points this year playing with decent line-mates (may have been on the 3rd and 4th line but Bruins were pretty deep). Fowler was like -22 and Skinner was my pick for 1st overall last year so I wasn't suprised (rangers fan here). Not sure about Gudbranson as an elite player especially developing in florida.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hall has the potential to be better then Kane and Tavares aswell.

Long term

Crosby
Stamkos
Hall
Kane
Tavares
EJ

This works both ways. JT has the potential to be a 50goal-100 point player. Hall is in a much better situation than JT is. Hall has better talent surrounding him while Tavares still awaits a top line player and a sell out crowd at home

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This works both ways. JT has the potential to be a 50goal-100 point player. Hall is in a much better situation than JT is. Hall has better talent surrounding him while Tavares still awaits a top line player and a sell out crowd at home

Until JT leaves the Isles to play in Toronto with Kadri or somewhere that has money and space for him and some team that has fans that sell out a crowd.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Yeah..... because Kadri is soooo much better than Niederrieter. It doesn't matter how much you want to speculate (read:wish) for John Tavares to leave the Isles to sign with the mighty Leafs. It's not going to happen.

And spending money has done wonders in Toronto too BTW....

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Yeah..... because Kadri is soooo much better than Niederrieter. It doesn't matter how much you want to speculate (read:wish) for John Tavares to leave the Isles to sign with the mighty Leafs. It's not going to happen.

And spending money has done wonders in Toronto too BTW....

Never said he was soooo much better than Niederrieter. Kadri was his line-mate and good friend in juniors. And Tavares was a Leaf fan I am pretty sure and grew up in the Toronto area and has family there.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The NHL should implement a rule that would prevent a team from drafting number one in consecutive years.

Well, you do realize that the team finishing last actually has a better chance of picking 2nd than 1st, right?

So, the lottery odds in themselves are more than enough to ensure that more often that not a team won't pick 1st again.

Of course, since it's basically a coin flip, it can happen where a team picks a few times in a row, but it's pretty unlikely.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Never said he was soooo much better than Niederrieter. Kadri was his line-mate and good friend in juniors. And Tavares was a Leaf fan I am pretty sure and grew up in the Toronto area and has family there.

He played with Kadri for a whopping 24 games. He's played with Matt Moulson (a childhood friend) for 161.

Just because he's from the area, doesn't mean he's going to sign there. The Isles are going to pay him handsomely to extend his contract before FA. That is, when Kadri holds out on the Leafs to sign here so he can play with his friend Tavares.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He played with Kadri for a whopping 24 games. He's played with Matt Moulson (a childhood friend) for 161.

Just because he's from the area, doesn't mean he's going to sign there. The Isles are going to pay him handsomely to extend his contract before FA. That is, when Kadri holds out on the Leafs to sign here so he can play with his friend Tavares.

:laugh: Yeah, because who wouldn't want to play in Long Island. All 2000 fans cheering you on every night, great ownership and GM, etc.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
:laugh: Yeah, because who wouldn't want to play in Long Island. All 2000 fans cheering you on every night, great ownership and GM, etc.

Who would want to play for the Leafs? Where the fans come in droves to pelt you with waffles, and Stanley Cups are as rare as unicorns.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Stop trying to highjack this thread because you're jealous of NYI.

Sorry :cry:

I just miss watching Tavares play in London. I was mostly joking about him signing with TO and was playing around. Not sure what the Isles fan's intentions are though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad