Oilers Unlucky

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Actually the last chart I found was late March, so I was wrong there. I imagine Skinner ended up with more in the last couple weeks.

Hall finished 3rd behind Skinner and D. Brown but was leading the league in the category before his injury (the info can be found in the link I posted above).

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Congrats to the OP on his successful thread trolling the Oilers fans on HF.

To fellow Oiler fans, just let this thread die. We know what kind of talent Hall is and the rest of HF will know soon enough. And RNH is nothing to snicker at either.

Trollmark*

Man... Now I gotta hate Sharks fans?
Can't cheer for anyone in the west. :(

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Congrats to the OP on his successful thread trolling the Oilers fans on HF.

To fellow Oiler fans, just let this thread die. We know what kind of talent Hall is and the rest of HF will know soon enough. And RNH is nothing to snicker at either.

I've resisted feeding most OP's, but I couldn't do it today.

And no, we don't need to hate Sharks fans to the poster above. Anyone but Vancouver, GO SHARKS!!!

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Oh, woe is us!!

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle in 3 years?

:cry:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yes, let's pass judgment on both Hall and a player who hasn't even been drafted yet.

Haven't you heard? This draft is awful. It's all downhill after 17 years old anyways. You guys should just give us your 6th overall pick because I doubt whoever you pick will be any good anyways :sarcasm:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Some Oilers fans in this are just...homers lol

He's better than Erik Johnson yeah for sure, but he's not better than Kane yet, and he might not be, and Tavares is ahread right now, and has best player in the league potential, at a Crosby level of dominance in a career season. Hall has huge potential but it's very diffucult for a winger to have best player in the league potential and IMHO Hall doesn't have that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

He's better than Erik Johnson yeah for sure, but he's not better than Kane yet, and he might not be, and Tavares is ahread right now, and has best player in the league potential, at a Crosby level of dominance in a career season. Hall has huge potential but it's very diffucult for a winger to have best player in the league potential and IMHO Hall doesn't have that.

In 3 years, I hope I can remember to bump this and just laugh!!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

You're calling us homers and then say that JT has Crosby potential? Come on man. The FACT is none of us know what these players are going to do in the future. Sure, JT could end up being a 100 point player, or he may end up a solid 80 point guy which is just fine as well.

Also, I don't think a single person in this thread said that Hall was better than Kane or JT right NOW. We simply said that we would take him right now over the other 2, and that's just personal preference.

I prefer Hall over Kane because he will play with 30+lbs and 2-3 inches on Kane and is a better scorer in the future IMO, which is what the Oilers need right now.

As far as JT goes, I think they have similar potential, and I'd put Duchene into that same category as well. I like Hall's speed advantage over JT and I think he will be more physical as well. IMO, JT is a better playmaker and has better vision, but to suggest one is vastly ahead of the other is not fair.

The only facts right now is that Hall is following a similar path to Tavares and Duchene in the NHL. All 3 of these guys could explode and leave the other 2 behind, but NO ONE knows what will happen.

In the end, there is no right answer, and it's at least a good debate.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You're calling us homers and then say that JT has Crosby potential? Come on man. The FACT is none of us know what these players are going to do in the future. Sure, JT could end up being a 100 point player, or he may end up a solid 80 point guy which is just fine as well.

Also, I don't think a single person in this thread said that Hall was better than Kane or JT right NOW. We simply said that we would take him right now over the other 2, and that's just personal preference.

I prefer Hall over Kane because he will play with 30+lbs and 2-3 inches on Kane and is a better scorer in the future IMO, which is what the Oilers need right now.

As far as JT goes, I think they have similar potential, and I'd put Duchene into that same category as well. I like Hall's speed advantage over JT and I think he will be more physical as well. IMO, JT is a better playmaker and has better vision, but to suggest one is vastly ahead of the other is not fair.

The only facts right now is that Hall is following a similar path to Tavares and Duchene in the NHL. All 3 of these guys could explode and leave the other 2 behind, but NO ONE knows what will happen.

In the end, there is no right answer, and it's at least a good debate.

Never said Crosby potential. I said a Crosby like dominance in a career year, which is a definitely possibility if his skating and conditioning continues to improve.

You can prefer a player over someone, but it's not a sure thing at all, and considering the way it's worded by most Oilers fans in this thread, they're acting like he'll definitely be better.

I definitely disagree with saying their potentials are similar, maybe close to eachother in the end because of how likely it is to reach it, but if they all reach potential to the max, I won't say a PC thing that "they'll all be great players", I'll be confident enough to say JT would be the best player, and quite easily.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Never said Crosby potential. I said a Crosby like dominance in a career year, which is a definitely possibility if his skating and conditioning continues to improve.

You can prefer a player over someone, but it's not a sure thing at all, and considering the way it's worded by most Oilers fans in this thread, they're acting like he'll definitely be better.

I definitely disagree with saying their potentials are similar, maybe close to eachother in the end because of how likely it is to reach it, but if they all reach potential to the max, I won't say a PC thing that "they'll all be great players", I'll be confident enough to say JT would be the best player, and quite easily.

Fair enough, I just don't think Tavares has 'best player in the league' potential right now, at least now from what we have seen from him so far.

I know a lot of people had ridiculously high expectations on him coming out of junior, and for good reason, I just don't see enough in his game to be significantly MORE dominant than Duchene or Hall.

I think there are lots of factors that could contribute to how much either of them dominate a game: physicality, leadership, drive, passion, etc., and I think it's safe to say that we just don't know how they will develop over the next 3-5 years.

Even the team they play on will dictate it to some extent. I'm not confident either JT or Hall will breakout like Stamkos right away because they don't have the PP to pad their stats and they don't have a St. Louis, Vinny, etc. to play with right now, and guys like RNH, Okposo, Eberle, Nino, etc. are not those types of players anytime soon.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
In the end, we still have the chance to take a player, for 2 years in a row now, that could be the best player in an entire draft class and better than anyone the other 29 teams get to choose, so unlucky doesn't seem like the right word.

And there is still a chance we take RNH, send him back to juniors, and end up a lottery team next year sadly, so we might just continue to get unlucky with a Murray, Grigorenko, Ebert, Galchenyuk, or Yakupov. :cry:

tarrin8

May 3, 2011
Canada BC
i wouldnt say there unlucky , in previous years:
1993 Alexandre Daigle - BUST (thats what you call unlucky!!)
1995 Bryan Berard - pretty much a bust
2004 Alexander Ovechkin - superstar
2005 Sidney Crosby - superstar
2006 Erik Johnson - probly shouldn't of gone 1st overall
2007 Patrick Kane - all star quality but not superstar
2008 Steven Stamkos - superstar/close to it
2009 John Tavares
2010 Taylor Hall

NOW i would say Ottawa is unlucky with there picks in 93 and 95 they never turned out be be anything great at all (but they did trade Berard before he could even play for ottawa for redden)

my point is that it could be alot worse just be happy with Hall and RNH,
if you really wanted to take a gamble Ottawa trades there 1st 2012 + 1st(21 2011) for EDM 2011 1st (1) + 2nd 2012
wont happen but ya just be happy with the 1st overall picks u have

zeus3007*

Crosby? No, Hall isn't close. Crosby is the best player of our generation, nobody is claiming that. Tavares? Sure, he isn't ahead of Hall by much now, and has a year of development on him, so its not so ludicrous to say that Hall could be better, and we'd prefer to have Hall. I don't see "best player in the world" potential there either. Kane is good, but I am hoping Hall will be a better scorer and his energy and attitude are awesome. Hall also has to develop still so he could end up at Kane's level, or above. Johnson, I would take Hall over today.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i would think of Hall as putting up similar numbers to Stamkos (eventually) once they really get going in Edmonton. Hall i think can take over a game though because he likes to have the puck more then Stamkos which could impact it alot more then Stamkos non PP

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Funny people are writing off 65 GP season as "I can see the future"

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He might be faster but doesn't neither has neither the hockey IQ, nor nasty offensive upside. He might be more gritty than Kane, but doesn't have his playmaking ability and skill.

Complete fiction from someone who has clearly never seen him play any significant amount of hockey.

His wrist shot is deadly. He drives into scoring lanes and generates constant scoring chances. He's quick to the puck, always on it and he gets it back - which is why, despite being a rookie on a bad team, he generated more scoring chance than the Oilers allowed while he was on the ice.

Hall did not lead the league in penalties drawn per game. Actually he didn't even lead his rookie class, Skinner did.

I don't think you understand what "per game" means.

Hall drew 38 penalties in 65 games (0.58 penalties drawn per game), which is the highest in the league. Considering ice time, he was pretty healthly outdrawing other top-six players.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...RW&f7=20-&f8=13-&c=0+1+3+5+41+42+43+44+45+46#

He did have a good rookie season, reminded me of Jason Arnott in his rookie season at Edmonton little bit from what I saw. (Hall has higher potential though)

Two very different players.

Hall has an incredible compete level. Never takes a shift off. That wasn't true of Jason Arnott in his early days, especially in his second year.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
Unlucky? Take a look at the 1999 draft. The Isles had 3 pick in the top 10 and 4 in the first round. What a crap draft year.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html

I was actually about to post about the 1999 draft. Quoted for truth.

The Islanders in this draft were unlucky to have so many good picks in a terrible draft.

The Penguins got lucky when they got 1st overall and picked Crosby.

The Oilers aren't really lucky or unlucky... they just have 1st overall picks and are getting 1st overall talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad