Oilers Unlucky

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Drafting Hall is bad luck? Oh please.... Beyond Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos out of the recent #1's, i would take Hall before all the other ones and maybe even Tavares and Kane, he is at least on their level as far as top end potential is concerned.
This year was probably a bad year to tank but RNH is no slouch either. He could surprise and be better than people think, players with top end hockey IQ and elite vision tend to do very well at any level.

Exactly.

We drafted Stepan in the 2nd round and he did pretty well (45pt +8) this, his rookie season, and I wouldn't put his skills on an elite level, very very good, but not elite.

RNH has arguably better raw skills and his vison/IQ will translate well to the pro game wether its in a few years or if he wow's the Edm brass in camp. And the core of wingers you guys have will only help him ease in that much faster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You'd take Hall over...

Crosby
Patrick Kane
Eric Johnson
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos

:help:

LOL okay buddy.

Why is it so unbelievably far fetched that somebody would take Hall over Tavares, Kane and EJ? Are some of you guys for real? This place is like the Twilight Zone sometimes.

the word*

You'd take Hall over...

Crosby
Patrick Kane
Eric Johnson
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos

LOL okay buddy.

I'd already take him over two players on that list easily, very close to 3, and you never know, he just might keep chipping away, buddy. :laugh:

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
He's faster and has a much higher compete level than John Tavares, stronger and goes harder to the net than Kane. His shot is world class, he's incredibly difficult to contain. He requires no "set-up" man to generate scoring chances and he's constantly drawing penalties. Nobody in the NHL drew more penalties per game played than Taylor Hall.

Mostly, though, he played the worst team in the NHL - nearly led the team in scoring even though he missed 20 games, put up a pace of nearly 30 goals, even though the team went almost a month without scoring a PP goal.

He's not a 100 point player because he won't be getting 60 assists. Doesn't matter. The impact he has on every game he plays is star calibre.

Only thing I can say to you is watch him play for a few games.

He might be faster but doesn't neither has neither the hockey IQ, nor nasty offensive upside. He might be more gritty than Kane, but doesn't have his playmaking ability and skill.

Hall did not lead the league in penalties drawn per game. Actually he didn't even lead his rookie class, Skinner did.

He did have a good rookie season, reminded me of Jason Arnott in his rookie season at Edmonton little bit from what I saw. (Hall has higher potential though)

He looks like he has an awesome future ahead of him, but hasn't shown anything that would make him better then Kane or Tavaras.

zeus3007*

He has huge offensive upside, like JT, and his hockey IQ is pretty damn good as well. and he has a ton of skill, so him having slightly less skill than Kane is negligible (skill in certain areas counts for more, Hall will certainly have a better shot). And I didn't see much of Arnott in him, Hall was much more explosive than Arnott was in his rookie season. Its his intensity that looks like it will seperate him from Tavares and Kane. They are similar in skill, but Hall looks like he has the type of intangibles that makes him especially valuable. I wouldn't do Hall for Kane straight across in trade right now. And certainly not Hall for Tavares.

He might be faster but doesn't neither has neither the hockey IQ, nor nasty offensive upside. He might be more gritty than Kane, but doesn't have his playmaking ability and skill.

Hall did not lead the league in penalties drawn per game. Actually he didn't even lead his rookie class, Skinner did.

He did have a good rookie season, reminded me of Jason Arnott in his rookie season at Edmonton little but from what I saw. (Hall has higher potential though)

He looks like he has an awesome future ahead of him, but hasn't shown anything that would make him better then Kane or Tavaras.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Original poster is correct. The Oilers can still do well in the end if they hit on their other picks but no sure fire total franchise guys there for us the last two years. I wouldn't write the Oilers off for a 3rd in a row if they get a few injuries.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Original poster is correct. The Oilers can still do well in the end if they hit on their other picks but no sure fire total franchise guys there for us the last two years. I wouldn't write the Oilers off for a 3rd in a row if they get a few injuries.

That doesn't make the Oilers unlucky though, like the OP was suggesting. It makes the Capitals & Pens extremely lucky for getting Ovie/Crosby. Drafting very good players, but not super-stars, with the top pick is par for the course when it comes to the NHL draft.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Dumb thread. They would have been unlucky if they lost both lotteries and picked second.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Not at all. Hall is/will be an all world talent.

Furthermore, while this year is most definitely not a good year to have the #1, they'll still come away with a top notch prospect.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You'd take Hall over...

Crosby
Patrick Kane
Eric Johnson
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos

LOL okay buddy.
He said 3 of the 5 previous...but I guess some people only read what they want to.
Obviously not Crosby.
He could very easily break out like Stamkos did in his 2nd season(he has the speed, and the shot). Although at this moment no way would I have TH over Stamkos.
Hall is faster, bigger and a better goal scorer than Kane, but definitely lacking Kanes vision.
Tavares and Hall are good comparables and way to early to tell who would be better. I'd toss a coin if I had to choose.
Yes, I'd easily take Hall over EJ.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Call me crazy but I'll take a line of Hall-RNH-Eberle over Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis and over most 1st line out there. And don't tell me you guys don't drool seeing that line while having a second line of MPS-Gagner-Hemsky.

Last edited:

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Dumb thread. They would have been unlucky if they lost both lotteries and picked second.

Exactly. The oilers have been really lucky imo.

Hall is easily in the same realm of talent as the last few #1. I don't think any oiler fans would have been disappointed in his rookies season (despite the injury). He was great.

The reason RNH is not rated as highly as past #1's, is because he is not a surefire franchise player. He has the potential though.

So unless the op can read the future, imo this thread is like 5 years too early...

XO

Nov 4, 2009
would anyone really take Hall over Kane? I wouldnt, but maybe it's because I love his swag and the way he plays the game. One of my favorite players.

NeedMoreJam

Bachelors of Tanking
Jul 27, 2010
Kelowna
The oilers will probly suck next year, but likely not finish last. This is actually lucky because 2012 is stacked with elite talent. They could still get a franchise player even if they pick as worse as 4th.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He hasn't done anything that either of those guys haven't. Kane put up 72 points in his rookie season, helped team USA to a silver and, was a beast in a stanley cup run.

Tavaras showed extremely high level potential by putting up over 70 goals in the OHL as a 16 year old. Had a similar rookie season to Hall, but he played dominantly in the 2nd half of his season this year and then at the World Championships.

It's just ridiculous how people overrate potential. Some have Hall written in as a 100 point 50 goal scorer.

Now do you have any actual reason why Hall had the potential to better than both these guys?

He has similar potential because he's following an identical path to those guys. He's shown that he can dominate games at the NHL level. Are you punishing Hall and calling him a lesser talent because he hasn't had a chance to do what JT did this year? Tavares and Duchene have a full year of development on him right now, so of course they are ahead of him at the moment, but Hall is not very far behind.

I'm not one of the people saying he's an auto 100 pt player, but Tavares and Duchene haven't even put up 70 points either, so it's not like we are comparing a rookie to an established superstar.

Hall would have been at or near 30 goals if he could have finished the last 17 games this year. The guy was playing ridiculous hockey, and I don't blame you for thinking it's a lopsided battle if you have never seen him play, but for those who have seen him play 65 times last year and seeing a ton of JT I firmly believe he has as much potential as JT and Kane.

You can't punish kids just because they're young. Of course they haven't proven as much as a kid that's had 4 seasons in the NHL, but I doubt anyone would argue that Gagner has as much potential as Hall because he had more points in his draft year and has a better NHL career year. Hall just needs time to develop.

As for anyone saying he gets hit with his head down 'a lot' should probably watch him play, because it's 100% false. Over 65 games, he probably took 2-3 bigger hits all year. Everyone saw the Doughty hit and pretend that it's an occurence every game, but it's not.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
would anyone really take Hall over Kane? I wouldnt, but maybe it's because I love his swag and the way he plays the game. One of my favorite players.

I would. I think Hall is the better scorer and I would rather the guy that will play in the NHL at like 6'1 210 as opposed to 5'10 180. Kane is a lot more proven, sure, but the Oilers have a huge vested interest in Hall, he is the face of our franchise, and we think he has that much upside to be an equal offensive player, but more physical and better when the play gets rough.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

He did have a good rookie season, reminded me of Jason Arnott in his rookie season at Edmonton little bit from what I saw. (Hall has higher potential though)

And you're arguing IQ? How does he not have the hockey IQ? What are you possibly basing this on? The kid only knows hockey, and he always knows how to be effective on the ice. IMO in his prime he will score just as well as Tavares, better than Kane (in terms of goals), but he will add the speed and physicality that neither of those players have.

IMO there still is a lot to be proven, but he has the tools to join the Ovechkin/Stamkos class (I feel Crosby this season made a class of his own before his injury).

I personally don't see the point in this thread at all, the comments are clearly coming from people who didn't watch a single Taylor Hall game.

Frankly, at the end of the day, we don't care if you find it funny that we think Hall will become a better player than Tavares or Kane, we're very very very happy with the prospect we have, and we're excited that we're adding a potential elite play-making center to the mix too.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
One reason I feel Hall has a higher chance of flopping is because I think he might become a little injury prone. He's always gettin smoked with his head down and unless he learns to keep his head up he's gonna be getting hurt out there.

Can you find me these hits please? He has honestly taken about 2 really big hits all year, the Doughty hit being the worst one.

He has adjusted very nicely and isn't getting hit nearly as much as you make it seem.

Also, everyone kept saying Ovy would get hurt because of his reckless style of play, and that is one reason that Sid would have a better career, yet it's pretty clear anyone of any size and stature can get hurt, and there is nothing to suggest those players will be hurt more than others.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Hall had 38 drawn when he got hurt, Skinner 32(?). In terms of Draws/60 they were even.

Can't comment on Skinner, but there could have been at least a dozen more for Hall that the refs let go. No veteran benefits for either of them from the refs I'd bet.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Hall is easily in the same realm of talent as the last few #1. I don't think any oiler fans would have been disappointed in his rookies season (despite the injury). He was great.

The reason RNH is not rated as highly as past #1's, is because he is not a surefire franchise player. He has the potential though.

So unless the op can read the future, imo this thread is like 5 years too early...

Pretty much this. FAAAR to early to be complaining about being unlucky. None of the posters on here know what the future holds. 5 years from now we might be comparing Kane and RNH, Hall and JT, etc. and they may all have similar season totals, or one of the 2 may be clearly better, but it's far too soon to tell.

Anyone debating the potential though needs to tune into some games.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Very well said. I think the difference this year, is people weren't talking about RNH for years as 'the guy' of his draft. With Tavares, Hall and Stamkos, they were #1 for years, and people were talking about that for years. Sure the media tried to make it interesting the last couple years with Hedman and Seguin, but the reality is, as great as those prospects were, there was always a clear #1.

This year there actually seems to be a clear #1 again... he just has a little more to prove (like Kane did)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad