Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If the rules are the same as the Vegas draft, they'll have 72 hours to sign Barrie when no other team can talk to them. If Barrie has a big season on that PP, I can definitely see Seattle attempting to make him a core part of their day 1.

West coast guy, I can totally see him winding up in Seattle. But also waiting that 72 hours+ after taking a young d-prospect from the Oiler's area of strength (did I really just say that after a decade) and maximizing tradable assets and their own organizational depth. Build from the backend out ... the opposite of two+ failed Oiler rebuilds.

Anywho, this is an amazing day. Holland's killed it with the Barrie signing and the Oil finally have an elite PP quarterback and puck mover.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
giphy.gif

Thats like Drai reacting right now, somewhere.

good get!

The amazing thing is that McD and Drai will produce even more now possibly. That they've done what they have without ever having a bonafide offensive D is astounding.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Thats like Drai reacting right now, somewhere.

good get!

The amazing thing is that McD and Drai will produce even more now possibly. That they've done what they have without ever having a bonafide offensive D is astounding.
I can only imagine how ecstatic Drai / McDavid are knowing they finally have someone who can move the puck up to them.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I didn’t think we’d get him, what a relief. Holland did better this year than last, now about that goalie...

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I was and have been against signing Barrie, because I thought he'd come in at the very least at $5.5M... Love him at $3.75M. Same reaction I had for Turris to be honest, first WTF!? Then seeing the caphit :thumbu:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I wouldn't bet on that. If a guy comes in and clicks with your team in a crucial role. You don't just let those guys walk. Also theres no guarantee Bouchard is even a top 4 nhl dman. I have concerns with his apathetic play at times.

I agree on Bouchard but think Barrie is just using this opportunity to pump his numbers. Even if the Oilers want to re-sign him at a reasonable number, chances are that he'll sign elsewhere after next season to get the big pay day that Holland probably won't give him IMO. Regardless, this is a great signing for next season, worry about the other stuff later.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Lets go! What an awesome FA period for Kenny H with such limited space. To add Barrie, Turris, Puljujarvi and Ennis for the price he did is just fantastic.

Barrie should be an excellent option on PP1 and hopefully can contribute some 5v5 offense as well! Super stoked, low caphit and no risk in term. Love it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Posted this in another thread, but this is a smart move by Barrie.

Barrie's time in Toronto was a trainwreck for all parties involved. Between Toronto being a bad fit and Babcock destroying his confidence and trying to make him change his game it was the worst case scenario. It'll be interesting to see if Barrie can bounce back to his peak with Colorado both offensively and defensively. Don't get me wrong Barrie isn't some defensive stalwart and he does make some questionable decisions, but overall his defensive game was average.

His 2018-19 playoffs he played 24 minutes a game in the playoffs and was our #1 defender that run. He isn't a #1 defender but in the right system he still can be a great #2/3. I will say this, don't expect Barrie to provide amazing great stretch passes because that isn't his game. He'll still be a huge boon the transition game, but the majority of his transition game is skating with the puck or making simple passes.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I agree on Bouchard but think Barrie is just using this opportunity to pump his numbers. Even if the Oilers want to re-sign him at a reasonable number, chances are that he'll sign elsewhere after next season to get the big pay day that Holland probably won't give him IMO. Regardless, this is a great signing for next season, worry about the other stuff later.
Tyson Barrie showing some maturity....its a good omen for the team and himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad