Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I agree on Bouchard but think Barrie is just using this opportunity to pump his numbers. Even if the Oilers want to re-sign him at a reasonable number, chances are that he'll sign elsewhere after next season to get the big pay day that Holland probably won't give him IMO. Regardless, this is a great signing for next season, worry about the other stuff later.

Why would he sign anywhere else if he comes in here puts up 60-80 points, and the team goes deep in the playoffs? I'm sure he knows if he re-signs and that continues it could change the whole outcome for his career. And Holland will give him the money if the team is winning. 7x7 is probably what we'd be looking at.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I will say one thing, I don't think the PP will be better in numbers. Last year was a historic PP, that will not happen again, but I think it'll still be very good. This would have been the same with klef on the PP

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I will say one thing, I don't think the PP will be better in numbers. Last year was a historic PP, that will not happen again, but I think it'll still be very good. This would have been the same with klef on the PP

But now we could have a first and 2nd unit pp again. The new players allow that more. So that McDrai are less tired and frankly its also dangerous having McDrai unit out there first minute, sitting on bench the next, and then throwing them out on next shift after PP when opponent top D unit is spent.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You need to expose a guy who is signed beyond the upcoming season, and who has played a certain amount of games over the past 2 years ( I think 70)
You can still expose Klefbom but yeah you’d need to expose another guy.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Another bonus to this deal is that I bet Seattle will claim him in expansion. He has an opportunity to put up major points here, and sign a big contract with a team who will need to hit the cap floor. Seattle would be a good spot for him as a BC guy. We may be able to keep guys like Jones and Benson.

They can't, as he'll be a UFA

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My question is: who will be his partner? Ideally you'd play a veteran D who is strong defensively to get the most out of Barrie. But with Klefbom out we don't have that guy. I guess you could play him with Nurse but I'd rather have Nurse and Bear take the tough minutes and give the Barrie pairing an offensive zone start push. But who does he play with? Russell I guess is one option but certainly not my preferred one. If Russell is playing meaningful minutes on a second pairing this team is still going nowhere. But I guess it depends on exactly how long Klefbom will be out. If he's only out for a bit it's not the end of the world to play Russell as a stop-gap but if he's out long-term we need another left D.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Holland has certainly demonstrated some skill and again--superior intelligence and calm.

If it had been Chia:

--Qualify AA and Benning

--Trade Puls for a 5th round pick

--Sign Bodie to an 8 year $56M contract

--Call the league to ask what this year's salary cap actually is

--Trade Bouchard away for a 4th liner because he heard he didn't clean up his room when his Mom told him to

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We have two D men who can move the puck on the breakout now. Him and Bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad