Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Tobias Rieder (1 Year $2M)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I like the idea of the player and the signing.

I don't actually like the player from viewings of him in the last 2 years, especially last year. He got demoted on the PK because he wasn't great anymore (and didn't play on LA's PK at all).

I like the idea because Chiarelli is trying to get value out of a young guy at least rather than do something dumb.

He's fast at least, and probably a bet to replace Cammalleri's offense, so that's fine.

It doesn't make us a playoff team, Chiarelli still needs to do more.

Interesting to note that RT (a long time HF poster on the Coyotes board) said he's had issues since his injury.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I like the idea of the player and the signing.

I don't actually like the player from viewings of him in the last 2 years, especially last year. He got demoted on the PK because he wasn't great anymore (and didn't play on LA's PK at all).

I like the idea because Chiarelli is trying to get value out of a young guy at least rather than do something dumb.

He's fast at least, and probably a bet to replace Cammalleri's offense, so that's fine.

It doesn't make us a playoff team, Chiarelli still needs to do more.

Interesting to note that RT (a long time HF poster on the Coyotes board) said he's had issues since his injury.
RT is a huge homer on any Coyote player till they're no longer a Coyote , the instantly become junk after being moved .

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Our bottom 6 is looking solid. Too many question marks in the top 6 though. Will Lucic have a bounceback season, will JP take a step forward, will Rattie remain productive on the top line, etc. I don't mind Rieder on a line with Drai, I just don't know how much I like Lucic+Rieder with Drai, both of those guys aren't known for having good hands as of late.

How I'd like it:
Nuge/McDavid/Rattie
Rieder/Draisaitl/Puljujarvi
Lucic/Strome/Aberg
Khaira/Brodziak/Kassian
13th F: Caggiula alternating with Aberg. Aberg is a nicer fit for that line due to better all around game... skating, shot, 2-way.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
"really enjoyed my time there"

- Toby reminiscing on his time as an Oiler, love it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Great signing Chia! Here's how I see it:

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto***
Rieder - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Khaira
Cagguila - Brodziak - Kassian

*** I sense that Yamamoto will really impress in camp again. If not, Rattie or Aberg can take that spot.

A very fast, skilled top-6, and a tough and hard-to-play-against bottom six. I like.

Between this and the draft, I think Chiarelli may be beginning to redeem himself.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Waiting for our resident Kings expert @Drivesaitl to give us his rundown of the current version of Rieder. Lots of people are saying that he hasn't been as fast or good since his injury 2 seasons ago.

I think he had some good looks, at times fit in, but Kings in general lack scoring depth and With the Carter injury and all it was tough sledding for everybody towards the end. The whole Kings team hit a wall during Rieders time there and he still did well enough.

I like the player, this is a good pickup and obviously could do something with Draisaitl and a better option than some of what we have been using.

Its got my thumbs up. I liked Toby in Phoenix as well. One of the few things they had to cheer for there.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Hmmph the narrative and excuse for the awful trade of hum was that he hated it here and would never sign here. so much for that.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hmmph the narrative and excuse for the awful trade of hum was that he hated it here and would never sign here. so much for that.

Well, the explanation was that he saw too many wingers infront of him and thought he'd have an easier path to the NHL with another organization. Don't know about any not liking Edmonton the city narrative.

This quote from him was just now from a interview on 630CHED. He backtracked a little explaining from development camps, but I laughed a bit when I heard that.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Good deal signing.
Low cap hit and only one year.
Reider can solidify the 3rd line wing spot and help out on the penalty kill.
Also, think there is a bit of untapped offensive potential there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol at a 1st or 2nd degree knee sprain "ruining" his skating. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe this if he had a full tear that required surgery, but I'm not buying it. For those wondering Taylor hall had a similar sprain to his knee and his skating did not change at all.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Great signing Chia! Here's how I see it:

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto***
Rieder - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Khaira
Cagguila - Brodziak - Khaira

*** I sense that Yamamoto will really impress in camp again. If not, Rattie or Aberg can take that spot.

I like you. You’ve cloned Khaira! Can you also clone Connor and Leon too? Pretty please?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Lol at a 1st or 2nd degree knee sprain "ruining" his skating. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe this if he had a full tear that required surgery, but I'm not buying it. For those wondering Taylor hall had a similar sprain to his knee and his skating did not change at all.

They're talking about an ankle injury suffered at the Worlds that caused him to have surgery and 8-12 weeks of inactivity.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They're talking about an ankle injury suffered at the Worlds that caused him to have surgery and 8-12 weeks of inactivity.
Oh my bad, I don't remember that. Thats even less concern than a knee injury though for me, and after looking that up it looks like it happened in 2017. Tissue remodelling can take place for a year or longer after something like that so he probably wasn't even 100% last year not to mention he missed out on a lot of offseason training. If his skating did take a hit last year I'd expect it to bounce back this season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yes! Really wanted this to happen. I was a fan of his since he was a prospect of ours back in the day. It sucked bad for me to see us let him go to begin with; I thought it was a big mistake at the time (some say he didn't want to sign, which I don't think was ever confirmed; I think Oiler brass just thought he was too small and wanted a bigger team thus didn't even really try to sign him). Glad he's back in the fold for hopefully a full season and maybe more. I think he's a fast, solid two-way guy who could really help improve our forechecking and put up 15-20 goals if he's on the right line. We need wingers, the UFA crop was thin, and our cap situation limits our options anyway. This is a very solid signing, IMO.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
WaqzHfy.gif
This gif has become as infamous as the Mac T/Vince McMahon gif.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A bit concerned about the reports of his speed taking a big hit, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. This was as good as we were gonna get for $2 mill.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
RT is a huge homer on any Coyote player till they're no longer a Coyote , the instantly become junk after being moved .

Nah. RT is a pretty good evaluator. Everyone is going to have those biases to an extent

When? Training or dev camps? Weird comment from him.

Maybe he’s just got a good sense of humour?

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I dunno - I was hearing about this all week (Rieder/Brodziak, and Chimera has been rumored as well) so I wasn't surprised to read this when I got back home today. This is all depth signing, it doesn't make us a better team, it just replaces players that we let walk (like Pak and Camm). These guys don't make us a playoff team. Our top core players - and how they perform, will make (or break us) as a playoff team.

Oh, IMO - Yammamoto should not make this team. He will because our wing depth is so poor, but he had a terrible year last year save for about a 5 week stretch, including a terrible WJ tournament. He would need an outstanding training camp to change my mind on that.

Don't mean to be the pessimist - and I really hope I'm wrong, but we did have to do something today and at least we didn't lock ourselves into any dumb long term deals like some teams did today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad