Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Tobias Rieder (1 Year $2M)

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
#1 ranked goalie in NA.

Bunch of curmudgeons in here.

I think the scouting staff has earned a bit of leeway.

Definitely had a rough start after being sent to junior, but I think you're overrating how bad it actually was.
He played 12 games before the world juniors, and then struggled throughout the tournament.
When he came back, he was locked in and continued it for over two months.
Not sure how a two month span of quality play is worth less than a month of struggles.

He was pretty much non existent in the World Juniors - and he was locked in for about 5 weeks shortly thereafter, then his point production diminished. To but another way, the World Junior tournament is about 3 levels below the AHL - so my opinion still stands. He's not an NHL player yet, and I saw nothing last year that had me thinking 'yeah, he's ready to play here'. Not sure what you or others are seeing. Now if he was top 5 in ppg, if he had a great playoff, if he was solid at the WJ, then you'd have something.

But like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I do know this, given his size, he has to be brilliant. He's bumped off the puck way to easily at this level. He has to dazzle. If he's ready, then great. Most people tend to forget little Johnny Hockey had three years of Uni hockey to hone his craft and he started in the NHL at 21 years of age.

I'm not suggesting he won't be an NHL player, but I did not see anything last year from him whether it was here, at the WJ, or in the WHL, that had me thinking he was a step away.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I think they make us better but they alone aren’t going to move the mark much.

The deals may seem relatively small and simple at first glance but I actually think Chiarelli probably made some of the better underated moves today compared to other GM’s. There was some brutal deals signed today. The beagles, roussels, reaves, komarovs etc. A ton of wut? Signings.

I have been pretty hard on Chiarelli lately but considering the cap situation he had as good of day as anyone could expect imo.

Oh definitely - just responding to some here that think these signings all of a sudden propel us to a playoff position. They won't hurt us in that regard, but we aren't going anywhere if these guys are leading us. McDavid will be fine, but Drai, Talbot, Lucic, RNH (continues where he left off) and all our defencemen have to be quite a bit better next year or these signings won't matter

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Oh definitely - just responding to some here that think these signings all of a sudden propel us to a playoff position. They won't hurt us in that regard, but we aren't going anywhere if these guys are leading us. McDavid will be fine, but Drai, Talbot, Lucic, RNH (continues where he left off) and all our defencemen have to be quite a bit better next year or these signings won't matter

I think it really just depends on how the majority of the forwards respond outside of McDavid, Drai, RNH and Khaira?

Pretty much the entire defense had a down year besides maybe Nurse and Russell.

Then theres Talbot.

Who really knows how they will respond.

I think it will depend on how JP and Yama ( if hes on the team ) responds as well. If JP and Yama have good years then all of a sudden our wingers look pretty solid.

Theres a lot of uncertainty with the roster at this point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it really just depends on how the majority of the forwards respond outside of McDavid, Drai, RNH and Khaira?

Pretty much the entire defense had a down year besides maybe Nurse and Russell.

Then theres Talbot.

Who really knows how they will respond.

I think it will depend on how JP and Yama ( if hes on the team ) responds as well. If JP and Yama have good years then all of a sudden our wingers look pretty solid.

Theres a lot of uncertainty with the roster at this point.
You call it uncertainty, I call it excitement ;)

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
The best part about this is that tweeners like Caggiula and Aberg get pushed internally by a proven veteran. We added 2 legit veteran NHLers that aren't older than the hills today.

Absolutely. The competition for ice time should, theoretically, increase the compete level of not just those two, but everyone on the forward lines not named RNH, McJesus or Drai.

That being said, I’ll puke in my mouth a little if they gift wrap Lucic any time on the first line to ‘get him going’.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This is a great signing Looking at what the Oilers got in this draft these new free agent singings, and the prospects they have from the last 3 draft years Oilers are looking strong on paper.

Reactions: kurtcobang

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's a good stop-gap signing, as I see it. It means the team has some flexibility regarding Yamo and Pulju. If one or both break out: great. If not, you've got some backup depth on RW with Rieder.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I wouldn't count that kid out. For instance, I don't think Rattie and Cagguila should be locks to make the roster. Even Puljujarvi shouldn't be a lock if he can't outplay Yamamoto in preseason.

I think it's plain stupid if there's only one spot for either Yamamoto or Puljujarvi. Everyone else (with a few exceptions) should have to fight for the spots as well as there's no reason to think Yamamoto and Puljujarvi would automatically be the two worst wingers. I actually believe Yamamoto will be one of the best players in the preseason games, but I don't know about the real games.

Last season Puljujarvi was ahead of Reider in all of goals/60, points/60, esg/60 and esp/60. Reider may be a solid option for one winger, but he should be made to fight for his roster spot just like the others.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Cast off from a bottom feeder. Don't see this as a good signing. At least get someone from a decent team.

At least Chiarelli didn't give away anybody this year.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Cast off from a bottom feeder. Don't see this as a good signing. At least get someone from a decent team.

This is incredibly short sighted. 25 year old who had a down year offensively on a team that doesn't play an offense friendly game.

He has speed, skill and is great on the PK. He and Brodziak (along with new coaching) will completely turn our PK around.

He and Drai may also find chemistry.

Given the cap space that we had to work with, I think Chiarelli honestly deserves credit for what he accomplished.

Not by leaps and bounds, but the team is better today than it was this time yesterday.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017

Hall, Petry, Schultz and ROR were all dumped from a bottom feeder.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So how can Rieder be a UFA this year but is RFA next year?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So how can Rieder be a UFA this year but is RFA next year?
Because LA did not qualify him he signed with Oilers he is only 25 with only 5 years of service Ufa is 7or 27 . If La qualified him he would still be a RFA, if Oilers don't qualify him after this season he becomes a UFA again

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He was pretty much non existent in the World Juniors - and he was locked in for about 5 weeks shortly thereafter, then his point production diminished. To but another way, the World Junior tournament is about 3 levels below the AHL - so my opinion still stands. He's not an NHL player yet, and I saw nothing last year that had me thinking 'yeah, he's ready to play here'. Not sure what you or others are seeing. Now if he was top 5 in ppg, if he had a great playoff, if he was solid at the WJ, then you'd have something.

But like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I do know this, given his size, he has to be brilliant. He's bumped off the puck way to easily at this level. He has to dazzle. If he's ready, then great. Most people tend to forget little Johnny Hockey had three years of Uni hockey to hone his craft and he started in the NHL at 21 years of age.

I'm not suggesting he won't be an NHL player, but I did not see anything last year from him whether it was here, at the WJ, or in the WHL, that had me thinking he was a step away.

Form Dec 12 onward he had 54 points in 28 games. That's 1.92 points per game. That pace would have put him second in PPG. He had 15 points in his last 10 games as well which over the course of the WHL season would have been 108 points.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it's plain stupid if there's only one spot for either Yamamoto or Puljujarvi. Everyone else (with a few exceptions) should have to fight for the spots as well as there's no reason to think Yamamoto and Puljujarvi would automatically be the two worst wingers. I actually believe Yamamoto will be one of the best players in the preseason games, but I don't know about the real games.

Last season Puljujarvi was ahead of Reider in all of goals/60, points/60, esg/60 and esp/60. Reider may be a solid option for one winger, but he should be made to fight for his roster spot just like the others.

Oh Rieder will, he's a hard and tireless worker with plenty of pace. The immediate difference for Oilers fans is seeing a player that brings it every shift vs one that doesn't. Plus Rieder understanding how to play with Draisaitl or topsix assignments and being adaptable to that. Rieder provides a mix of a good pace forechecker that will stretch opponent D and scrum for puck until help arrives. He's a useful player particularly in configurations where there is no PMD. He deals with garbage break outs pretty well. To that extent he's a very adaptable player. What Rieder does is help out a lot with puck retrieval and retention. Which benefits the talented Centers the Oilers have.

Also too much weight is put on what a player did just last year. The same player put up a combined 71pts the two prior seasons combined. That being with up and down use, and playing on a really bad team that just lacked offensive punch. So that Rieder has had to punch above his weight with little help.
Of significant note is that Rieder played on two clubs last year and played well on both of them. He was a good pickup for LA, certainly not the reason they struggled. The Kings hit the wall last year. They spent every bit of energy just ekeing out a playoff spot and had little left. The Carter almost year long injury put immense strain on their GF production. The rest of the team had to work tirelessly to try to produce.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is incredibly short sighted. 25 year old who had a down year offensively on a team that doesn't play an offense friendly game.

He has speed, skill and is great on the PK. He and Brodziak (along with new coaching) will completely turn our PK around.

He and Drai may also find chemistry

Given the cap space that we had to work with, I think Chiarelli honestly deserves credit for what he accomplished.

Not by leaps and bounds, but the team is better today than it was this time yesterday.

Rieder had stated he and Draisaitl already have some chemistry going having played on a line together in international competitions in the past. I'm thinking he'll be riding shotgun on Drai's wing.

FEATURE: Rieder's reunion

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Oh Rieder will, he's a hard and tireless worker with plenty of pace. The immediate difference for Oilers fans is seeing a player that brings it every shift vs one that doesn't. Plus Rieder understanding how to play with Draisaitl or topsix assignments and being adaptable to that. Rieder provides a mix of a good pace forechecker that will stretch opponent D and scrum for puck until help arrives. He's a useful player particularly in configurations where there is no PMD. He deals with garbage break outs pretty well. To that extent he's a very adaptable player. What Rieder does is help out a lot with puck retrieval and retention. Which benefits the talented Centers the Oilers have.

Also too much weight is put on what a player did just last year. The same player put up a combined 71pts the two prior seasons combined. That being with up and down use, and playing on a really bad team that just lacked offensive punch. So that Rieder has had to punch above his weight with little help.
Of significant note is that Rieder played on two clubs last year and played well on both of them. He was a good pickup for LA, certainly not the reason they struggled. The Kings hit the wall last year. They spent every bit of energy just ekeing out a playoff spot and had little left. The Carter almost year long injury put immense strain on their GF production. The rest of the team had to work tirelessly to try to produce.

Wow, you're happy about a Chia signing? He must have done well!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow, you're happy about a Chia signing? He must have done well!

I was waiting for this post;)

I don't mind the Graval signing either albeit nothing at this point is a splash. I would feel better if we had managed to keep Maroon around. Small additions can be helpful but..

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Apparently him and Drai play alot together internationally and Rieder was putting up decent numners with him. Imo Draisaitl RW spot is his to lose.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rieder had stated he and Draisaitl already have some chemistry going having played on a line together in international competitions in the past. I'm thinking he'll be riding shotgun on Drai's wing.

FEATURE: Rieder's reunion

My first exposure to Draisaitl was when he and Rieder played on the German WJHC team in 2012-2013. Rieder was my favourite prospect back then (being a Ranger) and what I saw of the two of them made me a big Draisaitl supporter as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad