Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Tobias Rieder (1 Year $2M)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dunno - I was hearing about this all week (Rieder/Brodziak, and Chimera has been rumored as well) so I wasn't surprised to read this when I got back home today. This is all depth signing, it doesn't make us a better team, it just replaces players that we let walk (like Pak and Camm). These guys don't make us a playoff team. Our top core players - and how they perform, will make (or break us) as a playoff team.

Oh, IMO - Yammamoto should not make this team. He will because our wing depth is so poor, but he had a terrible year last year save for about a 5 week stretch, including a terrible WJ tournament. He would need an outstanding training camp to change my mind on that.

Don't mean to be the pessimist - and I really hope I'm wrong, but we did have to do something today and at least we didn't lock ourselves into any dumb long term deals like some teams did today.
replacing pak and camm with these 2 players definitely make us a better team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno - I was hearing about this all week (Rieder/Brodziak, and Chimera has been rumored as well) so I wasn't surprised to read this when I got back home today. This is all depth signing, it doesn't make us a better team, it just replaces players that we let walk (like Pak and Camm). These guys don't make us a playoff team. Our top core players - and how they perform, will make (or break us) as a playoff team.

Oh, IMO - Yammamoto should not make this team. He will because our wing depth is so poor, but he had a terrible year last year save for about a 5 week stretch, including a terrible WJ tournament. He would need an outstanding training camp to change my mind on that.

Don't mean to be the pessimist - and I really hope I'm wrong, but we did have to do something today and at least we didn't lock ourselves into any dumb long term deals like some teams did today.
Without question Rieder and Brodziak make us better compared to Pak and Cammalleri. Not only do they provide superior scoring, but they also provide a lot more on the PK. I do agree though our top players performance has a big impact on how we do in the standings. Same goes for goaltending (both Talbot and Koskinen), and growth of younger players/prospects (i.e. Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Caggiula, Benning, Khaira, etc.).

To say that Yamamoto had a terrible season is laughable. His WJC's weren't great, but he made the NHL as a 19 year old and did not look out of place. He went back to junior and despite early struggles improved his ppg from his draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaPolice

Raekwon

Nov 28, 2011

Definitely had a rough start after being sent to junior, but I think you're overrating how bad it actually was.
He played 12 games before the world juniors, and then struggled throughout the tournament.
When he came back, he was locked in and continued it for over two months.
Not sure how a two month span of quality play is worth less than a month of struggles.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Like the deal can help us out on the wing depth with little risk. Just hope he doesn't have an amazing year and then we sign him long term. I mean I hope he does have a good year just hope that Chia isn't too trigger happy if he does.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I love this signing and the dollars sand years give younger guys like Caggiula and Puljujarvi a chance to earn more minutes.

Rieder and Brodziak help fix the PK. Give me a right shot defenceman who can anchor the powerplay and I feel good.

I think Chia is leaning on Bouchard to fill in that role, that's gambling a lot.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone watch much of him the last couple years? Seems like a guy that could mesh well with Drai

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Liking today's deals, nothing fancy but you need these kind of depth players to give yourself some options to find lines with good chemistry. I'd imagine Rieder is probably going to be pretty motivated to play well this year - with the talk that he might have been able to get a longer term deal elsewhere, it's safe to say him signing in Edmonton for just one is at least partially him hoping that he can earn a spot with Drai or McDavid, put up a career year and get a 3/4 deal at a much bigger price than he could get this year. Dude could stand to make a lot of money off becoming a reliable side kick to one of our top centers, certainly shouldn't hurt the effort level.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone watch much of him the last couple years? Seems like a guy that could mesh well with Drai

Nobody remember this?

Rieder HAS already meshed very well with Drasaitl for Germany.

Video: 2013 World Junior Championship - Tobias Rieder, Germany - Hockey's Future

"A key performer in the win over Latvia and through the entire tournament was forward Tobias Rieder. The Edmonton Oilers prospect scored the first goal of the game for Germany to even the score at one apiece, then assisted on Leon Draisaitl's two markers that helped seal the win. For the tournament, Rieder scored three goals and added two assists for the offense-starved Germans"

In fact the connection could ironically be how Draisaitl came to be so much on the Oilers radar.

Finally together again here.

Drasaitl and Rieder have played together for Germany multiple times since and have been on the same line.

People know this, right? ;)

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think Chia is leaning on Bouchard to fill in that role, that's gambling a lot.

Or he’s hoping with a different and better setup that a healthy Klefbom will return it to the top 5 PP it was two years ago with essentially the same players.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Knowing our coach he will see very limited time on Drai’s wing. Instead he will play with Strome and Caggiula and Aberg will drag Drai down.

I think McLellan is still upset with Aberg over missing practice or whatever he did to get suspended.

The depth isn't fantastic on the wing, but at least there will be some competition.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I have believed since last season that a complimentary player for Drai is our biggest need. I think Chia may have hit a homerun with Rieder and Puljujarvi will also find a home with them

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I think they make us better but they alone aren’t going to move the mark much.

The deals may seem relatively small and simple at first glance but I actually think Chiarelli probably made some of the better underated moves today compared to other GM’s. There was some brutal deals signed today. The beagles, roussels, reaves, komarovs etc. A ton of wut? Signings.

I have been pretty hard on Chiarelli lately but considering the cap situation he had as good of day as anyone could expect imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad