Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Corey Perry (775k AAV, 225k for 10GP, 50k for winning Round II, 50k for winning Round III)

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Great first game back... Gonna enjoy watching that 3rd line grow. You can see how he is a true competitor and just loves playing the game.
He still has good skills. Definitely a legit NHler and upgrade on Gagner or any AHL tweeners they may put onto the 4th line.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
And the good thing about signing Perry as a free agent is they can use the assets (1st and 2nd round picks in 2024 adn 20025, Broberg, Bourgault, Broberg) to create more depth. They could probably add a solid player or two by getting other teams to retain salary and sending the likes of Gagner and Ryan the other way. A third line center is the greatest need. But a No.4-5 d-man (an upgrade on Ceci/Kulak) would be nice too.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And the good thing about signing Perry as a free agent is they can use the assets (1st and 2nd round picks in 2024 adn 20025, Broberg, Bourgault, Broberg) to create more depth. They could probably add a solid player or two by getting other teams to retain salary and sending the likes of Gagner the other way. A third line center is the greatest need. But a No.4-5 d-man would be nice too.

No way. Gags is coming along for the ride. We could just send him down to create cap space, he wouldn’t need to be moved.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
yeah, i think an upgrade on Ceci or Kulak is probably what one should expect. not sure who will be available though.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm just glad they won with Perry playing his first game, had such a bad feeling and so glad I was wrong. He definitely looked good for not playing a game in over 2 months. Not as good as Brown, but he will get there

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm just glad they won with Perry playing his first game, had such a bad feeling and so glad I was wrong. He definitely looked good for not playing a game in over 2 months. Not as good as Brown, but he will get there
I get the feeling the boys really wanted to win this one for Perry too. I think his addition to the lineup today really sparked the energy of the team and the crowd

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
You can bet a lot of people had posts in draft mode talking about how Perry was a bad move if we had lost today lol

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's crazy how much flack Ceci gets, he faces the best NHL players every game, is a +10 and part of the most epic defensive showcase in NHL history.

He's not perfect, no one is but he's a warrior and has been a solid piece of this team.

I'm far from being a ceci fan but I agree that he's been solid.

Ekholm +16

Bouchard +11
Nurse +10
Ceci + 10

Desharnais +2

Kulak - 1

Seems pretty clear to me that the guy making 2.75M that faces the easiest competition , and doesnt produce any offence should go before Ceci does.

How do people feel about a Seeler for Kulak swap to free up cap space?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Perry's spin into a back pass, to Holloway, was one of the prettiest passes I've seen in a long time. The old-timer still has some tricks.
A lot of people forget Perry was a 1st round pick back in the day, number 28 overall in a stacked 2003 draft, a former hart Trophy winner and 50 goal scorer, so there is some serious pedigree there. I think we should expect some really skilled plays from him, and his first game went pretty well. During the post game, I don't think he could wipe that sloppy grin off of his face. After what happened with the Hawks and missing time, I think it will help him appreciate the game even more and motivate him going forward, knowing he doesn't have a lot of kicks at the cat left.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

Ekholm +16

Bouchard +11
Nurse +10
Ceci + 10

Desharnais +2

Kulak - 1

Seems pretty clear to me that the guy making 2.75M that faces the easiest competition , and doesnt produce any offence should go before Ceci does.

And Ceci makes 3.25, not sure what else we could ask for. I'm not going to buy a Ceci jersey or anything but I don't think he deserves so much hate

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A lot of people forget Perry was a 1st round pick back in the day, number 28 overall in a stacked 2003 draft, a former hart Trophy winner and 50 goal scorer, so there is some serious pedigree there. I think we should expect some really skilled plays from him, and his first game went pretty well. During the post game, I don't think he could wipe that sloppy grin off of his face. After what happened with the Hawks and missing time, I think it will help him appreciate the game even more and motivate him going forward, knowing he doesn't have a lot of kicks at the cat left.
Corey Perry is, or should I say was, one of my most disliked players of the last decade plus. I couldn't be happier having him on the Oilers. I think this addition will mean as much off the ice as it will on the ice. A guy like Holloway for example could benefit greatly.

One of the reasons why I liked the Gagner signing is because he shows that being a role player has value and that regardless of your pedigree team success is more important than individual needs. Perry has the pedigree you list but over the last 5 years or so he has been more than satisfied playing whatever role the team needed him to play. He can still take dumb penalties and he is obviously not the player he was but it would shock me if he did not give the Oilers 100% of what he has left in the tank.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Corey Perry is, or should I say was, one of my most disliked players of the last decade plus. I couldn't be happier having him on the Oilers. I think this addition will mean as much off the ice as it will on the ice. A guy like Holloway for example could benefit greatly.

One of the reasons why I liked the Gagner signing is because he shows that being a role player has value and that regardless of your pedigree team success is more important than individual needs. Perry has the pedigree you list but over the last 5 years or so he has been more than satisfied playing whatever role the team needed him to play. He can still take dumb penalties and he is obviously not the player he was but it would shock me if he did not give the Oilers 100% of what he has left in the tank.
He'll take penalties for sure, but he's the type of guy that actually might generate more PP's for us, for retaliation due to his sneaky fouls. Not to mention getting in the heads of certain players on other teams and throwing them off their games. That's the part of his play that is very subtle and has implications.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Draft position is irrelevant (Yakupov was 1st overall), but Perry did score 50 goals in the nhl and in his prime was considered one of the best goal-scorers in the league

Monahan also looks like Stifler, so if we get him at the dead it’ll be a meme for sure
Monahan comes with Calgary's baggage--at best he's Stifler's mom.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Draft position is irrelevant (Yakupov was 1st overall), but Perry did score 50 goals in the nhl and in his prime was considered one of the best goal-scorers in the league

Monahan comes with Calgary's baggage--at best he's Stifler's mom.
My point about draft position is that typically guys that are drafted in the first round tend to have more skill than others drafted in later rounds. Thus the term - pedigree. Yes, there are obviously going to be exceptions and Yak was likely a prominent one, but if you get ranked that high, obviously you have some serious skills. Not all guys can transfer those into the NHL and also, a few lower ranked ones manage to get overlooked.

Reactions: tiger_80

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Ekholm +16

Bouchard +11
Nurse +10
Ceci + 10

Desharnais +2

Kulak - 1

I don't think any of them need to go they are all playing lights out tight defense

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
My point about draft position is that typically guys that are drafted in the first round tend to have more skill than others drafted in later rounds. Thus the term - pedigree. Yes, there are obviously going to be exceptions and Yak was likely a prominent one, but if you get ranked that high, obviously you have some serious skills. Not all guys can transfer those into the NHL and also, a few lower ranked ones manage to get overlooked.

Plus, he wasn't a first rounder in just any draft, but that 03 draft that was arguably the best draft of all time.

Basically every team in the league except us and the rags got a franchise player or two out of that draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00