Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Corey Perry (775k AAV, 225k for 10GP, 50k for winning Round II, 50k for winning Round III)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't think any of them need to go they are all playing lights out tight defense

So you don't want to get better for the playoffs?

We can't be afraid to move guys in an effort to be better. At some point the streak will come to an end and we will wish that we would have been proactive in a trade. Other teams are going to load up up at the deadline and our roster will need to be able to beat those loaded teams.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Plus, he wasn't a first rounder in just any draft, but that 03 draft that was arguably the best draft of all time.

Basically every team in the league except us and the rags got a franchise player or two out of that draft.
Just as an aside, I'd argue that the 2015 draft has now turned out better. And thankfully, the Oilers got at least one thing right in that draft.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Just as an aside, I'd argue that the 2015 draft has now turned out better. And thankfully, the Oilers got at least one thing right in that draft.

Idk. Maybe I'm just old or I'm missing something, but I honestly think 03 was better.

Vanek - Getzlaf - Perry
Richards - Carter - Brown
Parise - Bergeron - Horton
Eriksson - Staal - Kesler

Suter - Weber
Phaneuf - Burns
Methot - Seabrook

Fleury

Vs

Crouse - McDavid - Marner
DeBrusk - Eichel - Rantanen
Connor - Barzal - Boeser
Svechnikov - Aho - Meier

Chabot - Provorov
Dunn - Cernak
Andersson - Hanifin

Montembeault

I guess 2015 maybe a little bit more talented offensively, but like the difference in size and defensive acumen is pretty ridiculous, and I think Montembeault doesn't come close to standing beside peak Flower. Definitely top end probably goes to 2015, but I think in terms of depth and two way play you go with 03 every time. One team has 3 selke trophy winners and three Norris trophy winners, and several more runner ups, and the other team is crickets on that side.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So you don't want to get better for the playoffs?

We can't be afraid to move guys in an effort to be better. At some point the streak will come to an end and we will wish that we would have been proactive in a trade. Other teams are going to load up up at the deadline and our roster will need to be able to beat those loaded teams.
sometimes changing chemistry is not good lets see how they play till deadline , I don't see Zub as an upgrade

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Idk. Maybe I'm just old or I'm missing something, but I honestly think 03 was better.

Vanek - Getzlaf - Perry

Suter - Weber
Phaneuf - Burns
Methot - Seabrook

Fleury

Vs

Connor - Barzal - Boeser
Svechnikov - Aho - Meier

Chabot - Provorov
Dunn - Cernak
Andersson - Hanifin

Montembeault

I guess 2015 maybe a little bit more talented offensively, but like the difference in size and defensive acumen is pretty ridiculous, and I think Montembeault doesn't come close to standing beside peak Flower. Definitely top end probably goes to 2015, but I think in terms of depth and two way play you go with 03 every time. One team has 3 selke trophy winners and three Norris trophy winners, and several more runner ups, and the other team is crickets on that side.
You make a good case for sure. The backend of the 2003 draft is fantastic.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Vanek - Getzlaf - Perry

Suter - Weber
Phaneuf - Burns
Methot - Seabrook

Fleury

Vs

Connor - Barzal - Boeser
Svechnikov - Aho - Meier

Chabot - Provorov
Dunn - Cernak
Andersson - Hanifin

Montembeault

You make a good case for sure. The backend of the 2003 draft is fantastic.

Yeah... you gotta go with 2003 here. That lineup would best any Stanley Cup winner in history and most national teams. You have some solid two way players on that team, including probably the best two-way center of all time (and he's playing on your third line!!!) and several other forwards/defensemen who could make legit claims to top-20 all time two-way players at their respective positions.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Didn't MAP have impressive stats from being Crosby's linemate in Rimouski? Or something like that?

Crosby didn't join the team until after MAP's draft year. He was a point per game kid (on a bad team) for the two years prior to Crosby. They liked his compete level if I recall correctly.

And you know, they might have got that part right... save for his well documented issues with confidence at the NHL level... as an adult, he ground out a pretty successful career in the Swiss-A from the looks of it, and still playing to this day at 38 years young. That doesn't happen by accident. Good for him!

Reactions: alanschu

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Plus, he wasn't a first rounder in just any draft, but that 03 draft that was arguably the best draft of all time.

Basically every team in the league except us and the rags got a franchise player or two out of that draft.
Exactly. He went 28, but in most other drafts he would have gone much higher.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
"Corey Perry is a winner and right now he is player with 3rd line legs and a first line brain."

Rob Brown with one of the best descriptions of Perry I have heard yet.
Wow, an absolutely perfect description. I tried my best, but Brownie captures it in one short sentence.:D

Reactions: guymez

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
one of the first rumours I heard was that Corey Perry ’hooked up’ with Chris chelios’ daughter , and that disappeared right away when the Bedard-gate fanfiction swept the nation. But with the renewed john Scott rumours about it being an nbc employee (apparently she’s one of their broadcasters), it seems like that early rumour might have had something to it
She's pregnant... I really doubt she hooked up with anyone.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
She's pregnant... I really doubt she hooked up with anyone.

Oh my sweet summer child... Tbh I think that makes her hooking up with someone more likely. 😂

Yeah... you gotta go with 2003 here. That lineup would best any Stanley Cup winner in history and most national teams. You have some solid two way players on that team, including probably the best two-way center of all time (and he's playing on your third line!!!) and several other forwards/defensemen who could make legit claims to top-20 all time two-way players at their respective positions.

Yeah, I kind of imagine paying against that 2003 team would be nearly the same as playing against the 2014 Canadian squad in Sochi - just wave after wave of smothering forecheck, you better make a decision or you'll get leveled, and they'll just always be above the puck waiting to pounce on one of your errors.

And if you manage to break the cycle, well you still got to get through the gap and the back pressure before you even have a chance to crack a surefire hall of fame goaltender... And a guy like Kesler is what you're dealing with on the fourth line - we saw how effective he was as an old slow and broken man in the playoffs against McDavid and Draisaitl - effectively shutting them down until they were split and Draisaitl got free from him. Suter and Weber is likely the best D pairing of all time, and that's followed by 4 top pairing D.

The 2015 team has enough offensive fire power I think they'd always have a punchers chance in any given game, but the more I look at it the more I just think the 2003 team you probably take over almost any other team ever assembled in 7 game series.

I also think if you keep going, the depth of 03 kind of just keeps going, whereas even at the 20 man roster 2015 is kind of tapped out.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oh my sweet summer child... Tbh I think that makes her hooking up with someone more likely. 😂

Yeah, I kind of imagine paying against that 2003 team would be nearly the same as playing against the 2014 Canadian squad in Sochi - just wave after wave of smothering forecheck, you better make a decision or you'll get leveled, and they'll just always be above the puck waiting to pounce on one of your errors.

And if you manage to break the cycle, well you still got to get through the gap and the back pressure before you even have a chance to crack a surefire hall of fame goaltender... And a guy like Kesler is what you're dealing with on the fourth line - we saw how effective he was as an old slow and broken man in the playoffs against McDavid and Draisaitl - effectively shutting them down until they were split and Draisaitl got free from him. Suter and Weber is likely the best D pairing of all time, and that's followed by 4 top pairing D.

The 2015 team has enough offensive fire power I think they'd always have a punchers chance in any given game, but the more I look at it the more I just think the 2003 team you probably take over almost any other team ever assembled in 7 game series.

I also think if you keep going, the depth of 03 kind of just keeps going, whereas even at the 20 man roster 2015 is kind of tapped out.

Going out on a limb: ^ this man/woman played D

100% agree by the way.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
On to more recent things: The Oilers just signed Corey Perry. Ken Holland mentioned in his press conference that he consulted with you, naturally. Were there any reservations from you to bringing in that player given that his contract had been terminated by Chicago?

No. Ken touched on it in the press conference. We did our due diligence. Ken was very thorough. He had lots of conversations with the agents, with the league, with Chicago, with people that he felt like he should talk to. Kenny and I talked to the agent several times together.
We were satisfied that we’re bringing in a very good player, and a player who has acknowledged that he made a mistake and then has addressed it and that he’s working on being a better human being. We’re comfortable with it. And that’s why we made the decision.
It’s been surmised, but there were a lot of good teams in the league trying to do the same thing we did — all of whom, I’m sure, did the exact same due diligence. The answer is that we were satisfied, and that’s why we did it.

But Kypreos told all of Canada that we didn’t care what Perry did and that there was no interest in him except for the dirtbag accepting people of Edmonton.

f*** Sportsnet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad