GDT: Oilers @ SENS, Tonight 7pm TSN5, RDS, SNW (Part Deux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Of course we finally seem to have our defense going in the right direction and Brannstrom gets injured. Not sure Wolanin can provide the same quality defense we've gotten from Erik. Hopefully he's only gone a week.

Reactions: SensontheRush

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Brannstrom news really, really bummed me out.. Ugh.

It is no coincidence the team started playing much much better defense once he was inserted into the line-up. Not because he is a dominant superstar but because he provides a similar calmness on the back end that Chabot does. He also had instant chemistry with Gudbranson who no longer had to "stress" about moving the puck himself, he would just let Brannstrom do it, and he was a better defenseman for it.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Maybe Wolanin can find his footing and then Brann can step in for Reilly instead. Defence transformation complete.

Was hoping Wolanin slots in behind Brannstrom as the 3rd best puck mover, let him ease into his game after his really bad early struggles trying to acclimate back into the lineup. This injury almost reverses that and slots Wolanin back as the number 2 best puck mover. Hopefully now he's less jittery.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Feels like Batherson creates multiple scoring chances per game that his linemates just can't cash in on.

I agree, he also makes a lot of small smart plays and smart passes, even in the defensive zone.

DJ needs to play him more and use him in more situations. It baffles me that he gets to see no ice time on 3on3s or 4on4s.

The points might not come, especially this year, with the lack of talent this team has. Stu and Batherson could be something special playing together as soon as they get more comfortable with each other and get even more accustom to the NHL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was hoping Wolanin slots in behind Brannstrom as the 3rd best puck mover, let him ease into his game after his really bad early struggles trying to acclimate back into the lineup. This injury almost reverses that and slots Wolanin back as the number 2 best puck mover. Hopefully now he's less jittery.
I would agree it's not ideal for Wolanin to have to step right in and be relied on, but it is what it is. Better than having to use Brown again after seeing what a difference another puck mover made.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I would agree it's not ideal for Wolanin to have to step right in and be relied on, but it is what it is. Better than having to use Brown again after seeing what a difference another puck mover made.

Well I think Brown was Wolanin's most common D partner too. So there's that. Hopefully he gets some time with Zub and that takes some of the pressure off Wolanin. At least in regards to skating/puckhandling/passing.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
A lot went wrong on that play...

Brady had a lazy change which resulted Tkachuk's replacement being behind the play and White scrambling across to cover the spot Tkachuk vacated. In doing so, White let Ennis get behind him which combined to create that 2 on one, Chabot didn't play the 2 on 1 particularly well either.

I don't mind Zaitsev's pinch in a vacuum, he probably can't be expected to know the chain of events Tkachuks lazy change would cause.
My immediate reaction to seeing that play was that White was the guy most responsible. On the replay it was more noticeable that Zaitsev's pinch was a little risky... but still, it's the kind of play that happens 10 times per game.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well I think Brown was Wolanin's most common D partner too. So there's that. Hopefully he gets some time with Zub and that takes some of the pressure off Wolanin. At least in regards to skating/puckhandling/passing.
I would hazard a guess that it might have impacted Wolanin's play to be next to Brown. I am open to another chance for Brown at some point and i know it's a bit trendy to hate on him, but he really really struggled when he played imo, pretty much right there with Coburn and it's no surprise things have improved with those two being replaced. Zub is a good suggestion, he is impressing me so far and isn't pigeon holed as just a big slow player.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I would hazard a guess that it might have impacted Wolanin's play to be next to Brown. I am open to another chance for Brown at some point and i know it's a bit trendy to hate on him, but he really really struggled when he played imo, pretty much right there with Coburn and it's no surprise things have improved with those two being replaced. Zub is a good suggestion, he is impressing me so far and isn't pigeon holed as just a big slow player.

I think Brown is pretty much perfect as a 7th D for this team. He can play the odd game but he shouldn't (at this point in his career anyway) be among your 6 best defensemen. I'm sure he'll get another chance this year.

Reactions: GCK

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Brown is pretty much perfect as a 7th D for this team. He can play the odd game but he shouldn't (at this point in his career anyway) be among your 6 best defensemen. I'm sure he'll get another chance this year.
Yes, the perfect 7th guy is someone you don't mind sitting and can play spot duty low in the lineup when needed. Injuries will surely dictate he gets another shot at some point.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Of course we finally seem to have our defense going in the right direction and Brannstrom gets injured. Not sure Wolanin can provide the same quality defense we've gotten from Erik. Hopefully he's only gone a week.

Brann ———> Wolanin is a big drop.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
People might not agree with Simmer on most takes, but he's 100% right about Brannstrom needing to learn to take less contact. He seems to get hit hard quite a bit.
Agree with this big time. I'll give him credit for staying in the game you could tell he was shaken up.

Wouldn't mind someone introducing themselves to Archibald tonight.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Agree with this big time. I'll give him credit for staying in the game you could tell he was shaken up.

Wouldn't mind someone introducing themselves to Archibald tonight.
Same here, his hit was somewhat clean but aggressive. If I recall correctly, he took a few liberties in the prior games vs the oilers. Needs his bell rung

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Hoping for a W but I doubt it, as long as they don't get blown out and play hard, stay close, maybe they give themselves a chance to steal it in the 3rd. Let's gooooo!

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Same here, his hit was somewhat clean but aggressive. If I recall correctly, he took a few liberties in the prior games vs the oilers. Needs his bell rung
I didn't realize it until last night but he was the one going at it with Batherson at the end of the game last week while Tkachuk and Gudbranson went at it with Kassian so you're bang on.

Like you said it wasn't dirty but it was aggressive and it set the tone. Hope to see it addressed tonight.

Reactions: devbouz12

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I didn't realize it until last night but he was the one going at it with Batherson at the end of the game last week while Tkachuk and Gudbranson went at it with Kassian so you're bang on.

Like you said it wasn't dirty but it was aggressive and it set the tone. Hope to see it addressed tonight.

Im looking forward to Formenton playing regularly so he can do stuff like that on the forecheck. Be nice to not be on the receiving end for a while

Reactions: The Expert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Im looking forward to Formenton playing regularly so he can do stuff like that on the forecheck. Be nice to not be on the receiving end for a while
Formenton is going to be the most important player added to the roster of guys not here now.

The only new guy up front I’d rather have playing aside from Formenton is Stutzle.

I think Batherson and Norris are more skilled, think Formenton will be the better/more important Player for the Sens.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad