OT: Oilers season seat breakfast/luncheon

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result"

happy now?

That is not true.

Practice (repeated repetitions) leads to improvement. One better expect superior results.

If you dig a hole and shovel over and over and over but eventually you reach a buried box, then the last shovel full definitely yielded a different result than the previous ones...etc.

Reactions: madmutter

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Getting back to the topic at hand....there is a dinner on the 20th and a luncheon on the 21st that I am aware in a second email I just received. I think there are others? Any other STH get any other times or dates? I am out of country so can’t attend but would love to be there if I were. Would for sure have a couple questions.

Oilers CEO and Vice Chair Bob Nicholson will provide updates on the team and the process for selecting the Oilers next General Manager, among other topics. There will also be an opportunity for questions.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
The NHL is the most gate driven of all the major pro leagues.

10 teams are sellouts.
13 teams are near sellouts (Edm at nearly 99%)
3 teams are 90%-95% sellouts.
That leaves 5 teams at 75-80%.
Ottawa (the worst) is just under 75%
Carolina, Florida, Islanders, and Arizona are the others.

So despite all the whining and virtue signalling by certain non STH the Oilers may lose some STH I’d be shocked if we drop below 90% which would be a 10% drop in attendance. Premium seat licences lost will be a bigger problem than 10% of seats as those seats generate a disproportionate amount of revenue.

Bottom line is incompetent management will build an incompetent team. Doesn’t matter if the building is full or not.

Carolina Islanders Arizona are all playoff teams playing in buildings that are 1/4 empty.

Detroit is 106% sold despite being 30th.

Enough with the “empty building” bull****. It won’t matter.

2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

That website doesn't have the capacity of arenas correct. You'll notice quite a few teams are over 100% capacity, even ones who didn't have any outdoor games/special events this year. Rogers Place capacity for games is 18,347 - that's what the website you linked says we are averaging in tickets sold, so the percentage should actually be 100%. Of course that's tickets sold, not fans in seats.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That website doesn't have the capacity of arenas correct. You'll notice quite a few teams are over 100% capacity, even ones who didn't have any outdoor games/special events this year. Rogers Place capacity for games is 18,347 - that's what the website you linked says we are averaging in tickets sold, so the percentage should actually be 100%. Of course that's tickets sold, not fans in seats.

It’s close enough to make the point that the NHL is a gate league.

Oct 15, 2008
We have a horrible owner. One who holds the city hostage in order to get a building built for him where he gets all the revenue. He then puts nepotism ahead of results and we have what you see here today.

Fans fighting with each other.

The obvious cure to me is abstention.

If the situation really bothers you that much then just walk away.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Premium seat licences lost will be a bigger problem than 10% of seats as those seats generate a disproportionate amount of revenue.

This is the biggest point most people are missing. People with upperbowl $2,500 seats have no pull even though they think they do because they are STH. People with $100,000 suites have pull.

The people/companies that can afford these premium licenses don't buy it for the love and passion for the team; it's for a night out with your clients/friends. My owner has a box and goes to probably 25+ games a year in it with clients and it's a great time; but he knows f*** all about the Oilers lol. He could barely tell you who's in the lineup on a night to night basis. He will renew as will most businesses I would imagine.

Reactions: harpoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They have McDavid. They're going to be sold out or near sold out for as long as he's here. How many times can you go to Moxies or go see a movie for $25 per person after pop corn during Alberta's 5 month winter. They are the only game in town and they have the best player on the planet.

The pressure is to build a good team around him and that should be sufficient.

It's a shame Chiarelli came with a track record that on its surface looked very good. If it wasn't here he was going to sucker some other franchise.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I was about to post this in the other season ticket thread, about whether the fans were responsible for the organisation's failures:

Unfortunately Edmoton's super loyal fanbase has been a problem during the Katz era. No way on earth someone would do such a poor job with the hockey product in pretty much every other NHL city, but Edmonton's love for the Oilers ensures the building will almost always be full despite high ticket costs and awful on ice performances. With that said, it wouldn't be right to blame the organisation's repeated failure on the fans. You can't blame a fan for supporting their club and believing, even when management embarrasses itself over and over again. I used to be very faithful to the Oilers, definitely a homer with biases towards the home team, but after watching 3-4 rebuilds go down the toilet I've put up defensive barriers against my interest in the team. I am not sure if I will be able to follow the Oil going forward if the same clowns are again in positions of power for yet another rodeo.

I hate the way this organisation is run. I despise it's lack of creativity, absence of forward thinking, self satisfaction with crap results, deceitfulness in public relations, tendency to play the blame game, refusal to take responsibility for poor results, the embarrassing list of former players that are overjoyed to play for another team, and above all the arrogant and disrespectful treatment of the most loyal fans in the NHL, by threatening to re-locate the team, bend the city over on a ridiculously profitable deal for Katz, and repeated insistence that "they know a thing or two about winning" and have "valuable culture" despite overseeing the worst decade in professional hockey history.

All that's mentioned above will probably catch up to Katz eventually. I just fear it's going to take another 3-4++ years of unnecessary disaster purely because a few arrogant and small minded egos in the Oilers' upper management cannot face the fact that they shouldn't be involved in hockey decisions anymore. The saddest thing about all this is that the fans ultimately make and fund the franchise, a franchise that Edmonton is very proud of and is central to our identity, and just 3-4 egos can ruin that for a whole lot of people.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I was about to post this in the other season ticket thread, about whether the fans were responsible for the organisation's failures:

Unfortunately Edmoton's super loyal fanbase has been a problem during the Katz era. No way on earth someone would do such a poor job with the hockey product in pretty much every other NHL city, but Edmonton's love for the Oilers ensures the building will almost always be full despite high ticket costs and awful on ice performances. With that said, it wouldn't be right to blame the organisation's repeated failure on the fans. You can't blame a fan for supporting their club and believing, even when management embarrasses itself over and over again. I used to be very faithful to the Oilers, definitely a homer with biases towards the home team, but after watching 3-4 rebuilds go down the toilet I've put up defensive barriers against my interest in the team. I am not sure if I will be able to follow the Oil going forward if the same clowns are again in positions of power for yet another rodeo.

I hate the way this organisation is run. I despise it's lack of creativity, absence of forward thinking, self satisfaction with crap results, deceitfulness in public relations, tendency to play the blame game, refusal to take responsibility for poor results, the embarrassing list of former players that are overjoyed to play for another team, and above all the arrogant and disrespectful treatment of the most loyal fans in the NHL, by threatening to re-locate the team, bend the city over on a ridiculously profitable deal for Katz, and repeated insistence that "they know a thing or two about winning" and have "valuable culture" despite overseeing the worst decade in professional hockey history.

All that's mentioned above will probably catch up to Katz eventually. I just fear it's going to take another 3-4++ years of unnecessary disaster purely because a few arrogant and small minded egos in the Oilers' upper management cannot face the fact that they shouldn't be involved in hockey decisions anymore. The saddest thing about all this is that the fans ultimately make and fund the franchise, a franchise that Edmonton is very proud of and is central to our identity, and just 3-4 egos can ruin that for a whole lot of people.
Why don't you start a petition or present this to the management at the STH meeting? A lot of fans there will stand behind you and maybe just maybe they get the hint. Personally I think they know what they are doing and still don't care about the fans as the business is highly profitable.

If the team does relocate it would be the unending shame of Edmonton despite the crap they have gone through. Ask Winnipeg and Quebec.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
Getting back to the topic at hand....there is a dinner on the 20th and a luncheon on the 21st that I am aware in a second email I just received. I think there are others? Any other STH get any other times or dates? I am out of country so can’t attend but would love to be there if I were. Would for sure have a couple questions.

Oilers CEO and Vice Chair Bob Nicholson will provide updates on the team and the process for selecting the Oilers next General Manager, among other topics. There will also be an opportunity for questions.

There are various times all next week from the 18th to 22
Mon 7am-9am
Mon 5 pm to 6:30pm
Tues 7am-9
Wed 7am-9
Thurs 7 am-9
Fri 7am-9
Fri 11:30am-1:30

I was going to drive up from med hat for the 11:30 fri session but then figured i would just have to drive home amgered so i better not.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fair enough. But my point is that starving the team of money could have unintended consequences. Cutting off you nose to spite your face potentially.

I honestly wonder if Katz would just stubbornly start turning the team into a budget cap hit team if this happened. Or, if he would finally stop running the team like a treehouse club. He must know by now that he's made a mistake handing the team over to a bunch of buffoons. But a financial penalty for doing it just hasn't been there to force him to do anything about it yet.

All the fans want is for this team to not suck. Katz has been ensuring it does by letting idiots run it for over a decade. Who is really at fault if the fans stop paying and why would it be an insane idea for Katz to finally care about making the team good to earn the fans back?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The people/companies that can afford these premium licenses don't buy it for the love and passion for the team; it's for a night out with your clients/friends. My owner has a box and goes to probably 25+ games a year in it with clients and it's a great time; but he knows **** all about the Oilers lol. He could barely tell you who's in the lineup on a night to night basis. He will renew as will most businesses I would imagine.
Ding ding ding. If you have a business that requires shmoozing on a big league level you are not going to give up your seats at the one place in town to do that - no matter how bad the team is. A few disgruntled fans who are actually passionate/knowledgeable about the product will probably walk away but Katz doesn't really care about them anyway.

The problem with events like the breakfast is that nobody is going to go in there and insult Nicholson to his face. Its an event choreographed to make it look like the team values input, but one that relies entirely on the good nature and politeness of most Canadians to ensure that the comments that need to be made will never be mentioned. Will Katz show his greasy mug? I highly doubt it.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Why don't you start a petition or present this to the management at the STH meeting? A lot of fans there will stand behind you and maybe just maybe they get the hint. Personally I think they know what they are doing and still don't care about the fans as the business is highly profitable.

If the team does relocate it would be the unending shame of Edmonton despite the crap they have gone through. Ask Winnipeg and Quebec.

I'm not a season ticket holder, it was just my opinion on whether an overly loyal fanbase has been to blame for the Oiler's struggles, but that original thread was closed. I was angry and got involved in the whole Kevin Lowe has to go movement before we won the miracle lottery, started chants at games, held up Fire Lowe signs at games, even started chants on the LRT. I donated to the bill board campaign. I feel the energy for a fan protest has almost entirely been spent. Most of the hard core fans lean towards apathy rather than revolt these days.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
"Hey I have a question! You're a dick"!

If you say that and record it, I will send you my used underwear.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Ding ding ding. If you have a business that requires shmoozing on a big league level you are not going to give up your seats at the one place in town to do that - no matter how bad the team is. A few disgruntled fans who are actually passionate/knowledgeable about the product will probably walk away but Katz doesn't really care about them anyway.

The problem with events like the breakfast is that nobody is going to go in there and insult Nicholson to his face. Its an event choreographed to make it look like the team values input, but one that relies entirely on the good nature and politeness of most Canadians to ensure that the comments that need to be made will never be mentioned. Will Katz show his greasy mug? I highly doubt it.
I know who we need to call

maxresdefault.jpg

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They politely asked me to not come back to one of these after I was giving them the business for trading Smythy. I don’t care as they had friggun fried baloney as one of the buffet items. Don’t get me wrong fried baloney is good but have some class when you’re feeding your season ticket holders!
I can't tell if the baloney comment is real or not.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad