OT: Oilers season seat breakfast/luncheon

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
So as a (first time) season seat holder i got an email tonight about the oilers hosting multiple breakfast/luncheons at various times next week. I am interested in going but i live in medicine hat. So i was looking for some feedback or information from anyone that has attended these in the past. Is it worth the drive up? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Saw that e-mail, might be an interesting thing to attend. I wonder if the breakfast is free? lol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I got an invite for a sit down w Nicholson and guests to discuss the GM search. Unless he is coming to Aruba in the next 3 weeks I will have to miss it but I’d love to attend otherwise. They are doing a full court press on STH.

I will give them this, they are doing what should be done. Can’t fault them for trying to communicate face to face with STH on whats going on. They know a lot of people are not planning to renew.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I got an invite for a sit down w Nicholson and guests to discuss the GM search. Unless he is coming to Aruba in the next 3 weeks I will have to miss it but I’d love to attend otherwise. They are doing a full court press on STH.

I will give them this, they are doing what should be done. Can’t fault them for trying to communicate face to face with STH on whats going on. They know a lot of people are not planning to renew.
Don’t fall for their trickses Frodo Baggins

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Heard its a real katz breakfast

images

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

I wonder what they are going to say to STH about the competing markets for tickets. The secondary market has tanked...again. And the Oilers have been flooding the market with cheap tickets since Cyber Monday back in November. I think that if they want to retain STH they would be wise to give some of that via payback. If the seats you hold are being discounted 40% for others the Oilers should be giving:

a) a similar discount to be applied on STH for the following season
b) a boosted value if instead of discount STH takes Oilers bucks
c) a smaller discount applicable now

That I think might be the biggest hot topic issue.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I’d barely have interest in going to something like this if I lived in Edmonton. I’d be shocked if you learn anything new since it will come out snyway

Reactions: Aerchon

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Im sure Nicholson will be very political.

Is mcdavid unhappy?

Nicholson: "uhhh Mcdavid is a very good player.''

Reactions: MikeGrier99

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
I'm curious to see what the numbers are of STH that do not renew. The damage this management team has done to the franchise is really amazing. On the bright side, its cheaper to go to a game in Edmonton than in Arizona or Dallas now.

I won't be renewing, just because tickets are so inexpensive now and easy to get. I wish Bob Nicholson would have been let go as well. I am like many others, I have no faith in the guy.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Looks as though Oilers season tick holders don't even attend the games. Not having to watch this debacle ensures you're renewing your seats, thus ensuring the **** show will continue next year too.
Stop buying tickets!
If all the season ticket holders cancel then the team folds or, more likely is relocated. It’s a business, if it loses all its customers it’s done. Be careful what you wish for. It’s season ticket holders that subsidize the product you are a fan of, you are a fan of the Oilers right?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
If all the season ticket holders cancel then the team folds or, more likely is relocated. It’s a business, if it loses all its customers it’s done. Be careful what you wish for. It’s season ticket holders that subsidize the product you are a fan of, you are a fan of the Oilers right?

How gate driven is the NHL? Lots of empty arenas around the league.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Empty seats in big tv markets the NHL hopes to grow their brand in is one thing. A place where hockey is already #1 and the tv market is small and the local market stops supporting the team financially? That’s a different story.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The NHL is the most gate driven of all the major pro leagues.

10 teams are sellouts.
13 teams are near sellouts (Edm at nearly 99%)
3 teams are 90%-95% sellouts.
That leaves 5 teams at 75-80%.
Ottawa (the worst) is just under 75%
Carolina, Florida, Islanders, and Arizona are the others.

So despite all the whining and virtue signalling by certain non STH the Oilers may lose some STH I’d be shocked if we drop below 90% which would be a 10% drop in attendance. Premium seat licences lost will be a bigger problem than 10% of seats as those seats generate a disproportionate amount of revenue.

Bottom line is incompetent management will build an incompetent team. Doesn’t matter if the building is full or not.

Carolina Islanders Arizona are all playoff teams playing in buildings that are 1/4 empty.

Detroit is 106% sold despite being 30th.

Enough with the “empty building” bullshit. It won’t matter.

2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The NHL is the most gate driven of all the major pro leagues.

10 teams are sellouts.
13 teams are near sellouts (Edm at nearly 99%)
3 teams are 90%-95% sellouts.
That leaves 5 teams at 75-80%.
Ottawa (the worst) is just under 75%
Carolina, Florida, Islanders, and Arizona are the others.

So despite all the whining and virtue signalling by certain non STH the Oilers may lose some STH I’d be shocked if we drop below 90% which would be a 10% drop in attendance. Premium seat licences lost will be a bigger problem than 10% of seats as those seats generate a disproportionate amount of revenue.

Bottom line is incompetent management will build an incompetent team. Doesn’t matter if the building is full or not.

Carolina Islanders Arizona are all playoff teams playing in buildings that are 1/4 empty.

Detroit is 106% sold despite being 30th.

Enough with the “empty building” bull****. It won’t matter.

2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

You didn't actually answer the question i posed. 'Gate Driven' means % of revenue that comes from paying fans. For example, the NFL and a lot of MLB teams could play in almost empty stadiums and still be fine based on their TV deals and shared revenue.

If attendance drops 10% at Rogers what does that do to the bottom line of the Oilers? Obviously hurts it, but is it enough to have them think about leaving? I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You didn't actually answer the question i posed. 'Gate Driven' means % of revenue that comes from paying fans. For example, the NFL and a lot of MLB teams could play in almost empty stadiums and still be fine based on their TV deals and shared revenue.

If attendance drops 10% at Rogers what does that do to the bottom line of the Oilers? Obviously hurts it, but is it enough to have them think about leaving? I'm not so sure.

The NHL relies on gate more than any other major pro league. Without these attendance numbers (85% of the teams being 90% capacity or better) players would get one hell of a haircut in HRR ( hockey related revenue).

We don’t have the massive tv deals baseball football and basketball have.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

As for leaving the Oilers aren’t going anywhere. They are contractually obligated to remain here for 25 years or something like that. Season seats will be lower thanks in large part to the acidic combination of a bad team and poor local economy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

The definition if insanity could be misattributing false quotes to Albert Einstein, or Ben Franklin, or Mark Twain who all have been co-opted with this alleged quote when there is no evidence any of them stated it.

The quasi quote actually started in Narcotics Anonymous and was devised by a former addict, who started the run of misattribution that every lemming has since followed.

anyway just a pet peeve on people hearing a false ear worm and spreading it around as if its an actual quote. Basically wherever that false quote is cited its reminded that its not an Einstein quote at all but it will continue unabated until the end of the time, or when insanity abates..

end rant ;)

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Signed a 25 year location agreement in order to get arena built...

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

lol no. Go look at Florida. One season of poor sales won't be the death of the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad