GDT: Oilers rookies @ Golden Bears | Puck drop at 7PM

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Lets see Nurse do that against NHL players before we get too excited. Picking fights against CIS players who are instructed not to fight doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that this was anything other than picking spots. All too curious that the only game Nurse is out there looking for fights is the game where none are to be had..:laugh:

Where was this standing up to opponents in the prospects tourney, oh, he gave somebody a real stern dirty look once...

Agreed

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm also shocked people are calling nurse a brat. Jesus, this is a tough sob, competitive guy who takes nothing from nobody. Give me this over Eberles non caring play all day.

I guess people need something to complain about

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
The Bears are going into the year ranked number one in CIS. They'll likely breeze through Canada West, with Calgary being their only competition. They lost Ringrose, but guys like Hickmott, Ferguson, Lazo and Koper can carry the load. I'm not sure why Replacement is calling it a rebuilding year to be honest. Like, they aren't as good as last year, I guess, but they're still a damn good team. There's lots of guys who can step up, and they still have like the two best goalies in the conference.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
Simpson was the most impressive player for the Oilers for me tonight. He read the game really well and consistently made the right play. I thought Ewanyk, Khaira and Draisaitl had strong games as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse didn't do this in the prospects game cause there was no times he needed to. Except the Calgary gsm but ya know.. He wasn't playing

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I wanna see him do that against players as strong as him and closer to him in size then. Not against a team that "Cannot" fight back.

I get the not allowed to fight back part, but these guys are like five, six years older than him. It's not like he's going after 16 year old WHL rookies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Bears are going into the year ranked number one in CIS. They'll likely breeze through Canada West, with Calgary being their only competition. They lost Ringrose, but guys like Hickmott, Ferguson, Lazo and Koper can carry the load. I'm not sure why Replacement is calling it a rebuilding year to be honest. Like, they aren't as good as last year, I guess, but they're still a damn good team. There's lots of guys who can step up, and they still have like the two best goalies in the conference.

They lost Ringrose who killed the prospects last year and is more of a scoring threat than anything currently in the Bears lineup. They lost Barteaux, the hardest hitting player in CIS hockey, and they lost Colin Joe, Torrie Dyck, Ben Lindemulder, all starters and accomplished CIS veterans.

Bears have a strong program but this is a lot of vet talent to loose in one year.

Bears also got completely schooled 6-0 by Augustana Vikings. This team is nothing like it was last season in which opponents barely ever had the puck. The bears last year would limit opponents to 10 SOG in complete games.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
At the game tonight. few thoughts

Nurse-had a few great rushes, looked very solid over all. played his position well. loved that he played with passion. He will be a welcome addition to the oilers whenever that is.

LD- Guy has great vision. just always sees that guy that no one else sees. I think he will actually look a lot better playing with better players. Had quite a few chances, but couldn't bury one. Needs to play with a bit more intensity, but, man all the skills are there.

Yakimov-great goal but kind of disapeared after that. not sure if he was shaked up on the play.

Brassiot- let in a really week goal at the end.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I get the not allowed to fight back part, but these guys are like five, six years older than him. It's not like he's going after 16 year old WHL rookies.

So wait, consider this. Jailhouse fight. One toughguy everybody knows can fight is going to get two weeks in solitary the next time he fights. The other guy doesn't have that to worry about and is seen picking fights with the tough guy several times a day.

What does anybody think about this other than its opportunistic?

Mr Forever

Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
They lost Ringrose who killed the prospects last year and is more of a scoring threat than anything currently in the Bears lineup. They lost Barteaux, the hardest hitting player in CIS hockey, and they lost Colin Joe, Torrie Dyck, Ben Lindemulder, all starters and accomplished CIS veterans.

Bears have a strong program but this is a lot of vet talent to loose in one year.

Bears also got completely schooled 6-0 by Augustana Vikings. This team is nothing like it was last season in which opponents barely ever had the puck. The bears last year would limit opponents to 10 SOG in complete games.

I'll give the Bears some time before I give them the rebuilding year tag.

Yeah, their D did take a hit, but as always, the Bears always have players who can step up and fill roles. Their goaltending is always solid, they can score and they're incredibly well coached and prepared.

Even if it is a down year for them, they're still pretty easily the best team in Can West. I doubt they win nationals, though, not with this green of a squad.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

True, I loved everything else about his game tonight. His skating while looking awkward is incredible for his size.

I just didn't like how he tried to play tough, it seemed like every whistle he was on the ice he was wrestling someone and that wasn't a positive for me. I just wish he decided that he was gonna play the full 60 minutes and not let them get under his skin and rattle him. Their were a couple slashes, hooks and stick holdings he got away with. And while I agree that we need more of that up here, he's going to learn real quick that he isn't going to get away with it like he did tonight.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nurse didn't do this in the prospects game cause there was no times he needed to. Except the Calgary gsm but ya know.. He wasn't playing

Nucks got running around a few times with Nurse right on the ice and he did sweet **** all. Glared at somebody. lol that the commentators took this to mean Nurse was taking numbers. Nurse was a wallflower that never got up to dance.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So wait, consider this. Jailhouse fight. One toughguy everybody knows can fight is going to get two weeks in solitary the next time he fights. The other guy doesn't have that to worry about and is seen picking fights with the tough guy several times a day.

What does anybody think about this other than its opportunistic?

Or you know.... Its a hockey game and things get heated

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'll give the Bears some time before I give them the rebuilding year tag.

Yeah, their D did take a hit, but as always, the Bears always have players who can step up and fill roles. Their goaltending is always solid, they can score and they're incredibly well coached and prepared.

Even if it is a down year for them, they're still pretty easily the best team in Can West. I doubt they win nationals, though, not with this green of a squad.

Team is definitely worse defensively and has a whole lot more trouble scoring. Bears of course will complete and maybe even win Canada West again. But a shadow of the loaded team they had last year. Bears were a pleasure to watch last year and rare that games were even close.

The bears have lost 3 games already this season. The bears didn't lose 3 games all season last year in Canada West.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I love the people complaining about Nurse. I mean, wow, a guy willing to get in there a pound a 24 year old's face into the ice? I'll take that over the soft ass Sam Gagner **** I've been watching for the past few years. Nurse was showing some early 2000 oilers attitude tonight.

Yeah, I don't really get the picking his spots or spoiled brat comments. Nurse has been playing with an edge like that for quite a while. He has to mature and pick his spots a little better, but the team is in dire need of a player like Nurse patrolling the Oiler's blueline, one who brings some attitude regularly and is difficult and punishing to play against.

The Oiler's reputation around the NHL for being soft and easy to play against isn't perceived to be a problem? :dunno:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah, I don't really get the picking his spots or spoiled brat comments. Nurse has been playing with an edge like that for quite a while. He has to mature and pick his spots a little better, but the team is in dire need of a player like Nurse patrolling the Oiler's blueline, one who brings some attitude regularly and is difficult and punishing to play against.

The Oiler's reputation around the NHL for being soft and easy to play against isn't perceived to be a problem? :dunno:

If Nurse can play with half the nasiest pronger did, you'll have to cattle prod players over the blue line when nurse is out there. Im not a big believer in intangibles, but watching Pronger play you could clearly see elite talent changed their game when on Prongers side. A nasty SOB that can play is exactly what we need. I hope Nurse ramps it up in the future and starts nailing guys into the boards and fights them for daring to bleed on him

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

It is but compared to the games against NHL prospects, he was being ridiculous. He barely did anything in those and suddenly decided against smaller, less skilled players he was gonna be physical.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It is but compared to the games against NHL prospects, he was being ridiculous. He barely did anything in those and suddenly decided against smaller, less skilled players he was gonna be physical.

Or the time he battled with Lowry? It doesnt matter the size of the guy as long as he's doing it

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm totally fine with Nurse being chippy and uncomfortable to play against, as long as it doesn't end up hurting the team more than it helps.

I'd rather have that style of defense than another Phillip Larsen.

And it should be noted that Nurse was hardly the only player out there being a jacka$$, Ewanyk and Kessy were playing that way too...and it's not like the Bears were choirboys either, if Ewanyk's words meaning anything:

“More room on the wing,” said the former Oil Kings’ forward, who got his dander up in the dying seconds after a wicked slash. “I couldn't believe how hard the guy hit me.”

Makes me wonder if the "Bears can't fight" thing cuts both ways...does it put them at a disadvantage? Or does it give them a shield to hide behind when their chippy play has an opponent looking for payback?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad