GDT: Oilers rookies @ Golden Bears | Puck drop at 7PM

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
And sat in the penalty bx as a result. Dumb.

Not a great game by the Oilers. You can see the difference once these guys started having to play against a real team who played as a team.

Ewanyk was quite good out there tonight, and Draisaitl at least drove to the net on multiple occasions. Yakimov was good as well. Tkachev was pretty quiet - there's the danger with him. When he's not able to pull off his high skill plays he doesn't bring a heck of a lot else.

Can't wait for main camp to see more of these guys.

Oilers rookies usually don't look good against Golden Bears. The Rookies have far less time to mesh.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Oilers rookies usually don't look good against Golden Bears. The Rookies have far less time to mesh.

Totally. That's the point though. Once these guys have to play against a real system their skill advantage dissipates. Still fun to watch hockey though!

Flames on Sunday right?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Totally. That's the point though. Once these guys have to play against a real system their skill advantage dissipates. Still fun to watch hockey though!

Flames on Sunday right?

Yep. Split squad. Apparently its streamed as well. Hopefully they fix their streaming so it doesn't have the same issues this one had.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yep. Split squad. Apparently its streamed as well. Hopefully they fix their streaming so it doesn't have the same issues this one had.

Looking forward to it. Got my tickets to opening night as well, and Game 1 is always an exciting time to watch Oiler hockey.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I thought Yakimov looked pretty quiet in the back half of the game, but so did most of the team. Great start though. Refs were calling a bit in favor of the Bears, but nurse looked good - just has to learn how to be tough without taking penalties.

Simpson quietly effective. Brossoit was very good save for one weak goal.

Jones twins surprised me - they looked very good.

If Tkachev hasn't earned himself an ELC by now I'm not sure what else he has to do. Easily a top 5 forward for the Oilers so far, arguably top 3 with Drai and Yak2.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Flames on Sunday right?

Seems like they were handling the Bears just fine in that first period though, and only once their intensity dropped and their legs got a bit heavy, were the Bears able to get the game back.

The way I look at it, if this batch of Oilers rookies were playing against the Golden Bears in a 7 game series that mattered, they'd beat the Bears soundly. But in a one-off game like this where the Bears have every advantage (lots of rest, plenty of familiarity, playing on a home rink that has what looks like a smaller than usual neutral zone), it's no surprise that the Bears win these games more often than not.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It will be interesting to see how our top guys (Nurse, Draisaitl, Yakimov) perform in training camp. I don't even think we've seen Nurse at his best yet. I have a feeling he has been saving himself for the main camp.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
And sat in the penalty bx as a result. Dumb.

Not a great game by the Oilers. You can see the difference once these guys started having to play against a real team who played as a team.

Ewanyk was quite good out there tonight, and Draisaitl at least drove to the net on multiple occasions. Yakimov was good as well. Tkachev was pretty quiet - there's the danger with him. When he's not able to pull off his high skill plays he doesn't bring a heck of a lot else.

Can't wait for main camp to see more of these guys.
This is a pretty fair assessment, but with Tkachev I don't know how reasonable it is to expect an undersized 18 year old to look good against guys that are 4 or 5 years older than him, it also looked like the Golden Bears were intentionally keying in on him and playing him tight. Unless he has shown some character issues I'd say just sign him, he showed to be dominant amongst his peer group in the Penticton tournament and had an impressive short stint in the QMJHL. His skill level is about what you'd expect out of mid 1st round pick, given that he is undersized you'd likely expect him to drop to the 2nd round, but getting someone the calibre of a free 2nd round pick for nothing more then an ELC contract should be a no brainer especially since two of those years won't count against our 50 man contract limit if he plays in the Q.

Heck this kid will light up the Q you could sign him and then trade him in a year and get a free draft pick out of it, if nothing else.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I was there, Nurse was playing like a spoiled brat out there. Seriously, he was picking fights with everyone over absolutely nothing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Seems like they were handling the Bears just fine in that first period though, and only once their intensity dropped and their legs got a bit heavy, were the Bears able to get the game back.

The way I look at it, if this batch of Oilers rookies were playing against the Golden Bears in a 7 game series that mattered, they'd beat the Bears soundly. But in a one-off game like this where the Bears have every advantage (lots of rest, plenty of familiarity, playing on a home rink that has what looks like a smaller than usual neutral zone), it's no surprise that the Bears win these games more often than not.

This is a rebuild year for the Bears. They've lost some of their best players after winning it all last season, you might have heard. So the argument about the Bears having every advantage is a bit off. Not forgetting this was the prospects 4th game. They've actually played similar number of games than the Bears this year..

Fact of the matter is even with a rebuild squad and probably the weakest bears squad in years they took the play to the prospects and had complete control in the 3rd with only luck allowing the Oilers prospects to come out with the Win. Even playing shorthanded in the 3rd the Bears were owning.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Other thoughts on the game besides Nurse being a brat

Yakimov looked excellent, strong on the puck truely a man amongst boys out there

Neon Leon, didn't seem to have chemistry with everyone and kept holding on the puck. Looked strong threw his weight around.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I saw a lot of missed penalties and things against the bears and any retaliation from the Oilers ended with a penalty and a bunch of chirping,game got heated and the rookies seemed to lose interest

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
I was there, Nurse was playing like a spoiled brat out there. Seriously, he was picking fights with everyone over absolutely nothing.

Yeah he was a clown out there tonight. Bet he changes when he has to play against NHLers next week or he is going to get dropped.

Other than Nurse it was a fun game to watch and be at.

I know it is just an exhibition game and the Oilers rookies haven't had a lot of time together, but their PP was terrible tonight. The Bears had better chances on the PK than the Oilers.

jgoud*

Well the guy he tackled at the end of the game took a run at him in the second and almost took his head because the hit was so high, and number 11 for the bears (Reddick or something like that) was throwing jabs at him after the whistle. If you watched the game you could easily tell they were poking the bear, and he's not gonna just take that haha.

I thought Nurse played great. Drai is actually pretty speedy on the outside and can cut to the net so easily, he is so good at using his size. Yakimov was pretty invisible though and Tkatchev was alright, not his best game. I really like Ewanyk, he works his ass off every shift, makes smart plays and uses his body.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well the guy he tackled at the end of the game took a run at him in the second and almost took his head because the hit was so high, and number 11 for the bears (Reddick or something like that) was throwing jabs at him after the whistle. If you watched the game you could easily tell they were poking the bear, and he's not gonna just take that haha.

I thought Nurse played great. Drai is actually pretty speedy on the outside and can cut to the net so easily, he is so good at using his size. Yakimov was pretty invisible though and Tkatchev was alright, not his best game. I really like Ewanyk, he works his ass off every shift, makes smart plays and uses his body.
I was at the game and I noticed the same thing. A few guys payed a few cheap hits at Nurse and it was clear he wasn't going to let that go. The guy he threw down was chirping him and stuff all night so it was bound to happen

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Other thoughts on the game besides Nurse being a brat

Yakimov looked excellent, strong on the puck truely a man amongst boys out there

Neon Leon, didn't seem to have chemistry with everyone and kept holding on the puck. Looked strong threw his weight around.

This is what I'm not liking. He's "slowing" the play down, but it only really worked in junior where he had a very large size advantage. I doubt his brand of cycle game works in the NHL.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wow. The Oilers get called pansies and smurfs with no toughness for years. Then when we actually grab a big tough guy who can be a dick to play against he gets called a brat.

Apart from the 10minute early exit, I really liked what Nurse brought tonight.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Wow. The Oilers get called pansies and smurfs with no toughness for years. Then when we actually grab a big tough guy who can be a dick to play against he gets called a brat.

Me too.

We've been asking for this "take no ****" brand of hockey and this is the response?

As much as this board wants change, it hates it even more.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Agreed. Yes Nurse may have taken the penalties at a bad time, but standing up for his teammates? Haven't seen that **** in a long time. Good on Nurse.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Me too.

We've been asking for this "take no ****" brand of hockey and this is the response?

As much as this board wants change, it hates it even more.

Lets see Nurse do that against NHL players before we get too excited. Picking fights against CIS players who are instructed not to fight doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that this was anything other than picking spots. All too curious that the only game Nurse is out there looking for fights is the game where none are to be had..:laugh:

Where was this standing up to opponents in the prospects tourney, oh, he gave somebody a real stern dirty look once...

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I love the people complaining about Nurse. I mean, wow, a guy willing to get in there a pound a 24 year old's face into the ice? I'll take that over the soft ass Sam Gagner **** I've been watching for the past few years. Nurse was showing some early 2000 oilers attitude tonight.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This is a rebuild year for the Bears. They've lost some of their best players after winning it all last season, you might have heard. So the argument about the Bears having every advantage is a bit off. Not forgetting this was the prospects 4th game. They've actually played similar number of games than the Bears this year..

Fact of the matter is even with a rebuild squad and probably the weakest bears squad in years they took the play to the prospects and had complete control in the 3rd with only luck allowing the Oilers prospects to come out with the Win. Even playing shorthanded in the 3rd the Bears were owning.

They are once again projected to be the best team in the conference, where do you pull this stuff from? Outright making it up? Or incorrect info?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad