GDT: Oilers rookies @ Golden Bears | Puck drop at 7PM

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I didn't watch the game just the highlights and commentary... So I really shouldn't say anything but that's never stopped me before.

A lot of people making player assessments seem to be going off of preconceived notions rather than what happened in this game (as far as I can tell from the highlights) or even the rookie games in general.

Kharia: No offense??? Didn't do much??? Really looked great on that one goal.
Vladdy: Sweet dish, another game another point... Defiantly wouldn't make the bears...
Yakimov: Beauty goal but nothing special...

And Broissoit looked weak from the highlights. One coulda had and one shoulda had. Did the Bears outshoot the Oilers by a wide margin? Box score isn't working on the site.

From the highlights and commentary seemed like an easy win against a typically difficult team for a rookie squad. If they let off the gas after putting up a 3-0 lead in the first against a college team in a meaningless game I certainly don't think that is something to worry about.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I'm honestly surprised of how some people are mad at Nurse for how he played. I remember when Hall was getting harassed by 3-4 STL, Schultz and Petry just stood there and did absolutely nothing to help out their team mate. When Hendricks got challenged by 2 canes, Yakupov was the 1st guy to back him up. Oilers get criticized for being such a soft team, and now that we have a guy who sticks up for himself and the team, he's all of a sudden dumb player with a bad hockey IQ and comparable to the likes of Teubert? Give me a break. I do think Nurse needs to pick his spots at a better time, but his playstyle is exactly what the oilers need. Give your damn head a shake.

^true this! you sometimes you have to wonder what the fans want?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Why do I read so often that Chase may become a 3rd line pest at the NHL level? By putting up that many points in junior, does he not have top 6 potential?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I didn't watch the game just the highlights and commentary... So I really shouldn't say anything but that's never stopped me before.

A lot of people making player assessments seem to be going off of preconceived notions rather than what happened in this game (as far as I can tell from the highlights) or even the rookie games in general.

Kharia: No offense??? Didn't do much??? Really looked great on that one goal.
Vladdy: Sweet dish, another game another point... Defiantly wouldn't make the bears...
Yakimov: Beauty goal but nothing special...

And Broissoit looked weak from the highlights. One coulda had and one shoulda had. Did the Bears outshoot the Oilers by a wide margin? Box score isn't working on the site.

From the highlights and commentary seemed like an easy win against a typically difficult team for a rookie squad. If they let off the gas after putting up a 3-0 lead in the first against a college team in a meaningless game I certainly don't think that is something to worry about.

I went to the game with an open mind about all the players and on the last page or so I did my write up on all the players. Khaira isn't very good offensively (yes he had a good play) but is solid defensively. Vladdy has sweet hands but his size is an issue, he would easily make the golden bears obviously.

jgoud*

Lets see Nurse do that against NHL players before we get too excited. Picking fights against CIS players who are instructed not to fight doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that this was anything other than picking spots. All too curious that the only game Nurse is out there looking for fights is the game where none are to be had..:laugh:

Where was this standing up to opponents in the prospects tourney, oh, he gave somebody a real stern dirty look once...
Did Nurse beat you up or hurt you feelings somehow?

When smaller players are punching you after the whistle, and other players chirping and taking runs at you (If you watched the game you would have seen that), most player's first thought isn't to skate away. All the guys that got their faces punched in after the whistle deserved it, just like the guy Kessy beat up at the end of the game. Use whatever jailhouse example you want, but don't hit a guy twice your size (or whatever size for that matter) without expecting him to take your number down and crush you next shift.

Nurse played great and unless you have a negative bias towards him, you probably saw that for yourself. As for picking his spots, he's played hard against everyone he's been put against so it'd be nice to see some proof to back that up.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why do I read so often that Chase may become a 3rd line pest at the NHL level? By putting up that many points in junior, does he not have top 6 potential?

Many would say he has the potential to become an elite pesty 3rd liner and can move up to the 2nd liner in case of injuries.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
The guy Nurse engaged which resulted in him getting tossed was Travis Toomey, wasn't it?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=92420

6'4", 210lbs, 24 yrs old, WHL veteran who regularly received in the range of 100 PIMS per season while in junior.

Certain posters here are making Nurse out to be some sort of bully, picking on a helpless player, who "can't fight back'.

Such posters are not only insulting Nurse, but Toomey as well ...

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
The guy Nurse engaged that resulted in him getting tossed was Travis Toomey, wasn't it?

6'4", 210lbs, 24 yrs old, WHL veteran who regularly received in the range of 100 PIMS per season while in junior.

Certain posters here are making Nurse out to be some sort of bully, picking on a helpless player, who "can't fight back'.

Yup it was Toomey the Leduc boy. He wasn't innocent in the dub and he sure as hell wasn't innocent last night. Best part was when they were having their little scuffle Nurse rag dolled him and they're the same size!

jgoud*

The guy Nurse engaged that resulted in him getting tossed was Travis Toomey, wasn't it?

Yup, and that's the guy that took a run at Nurse in the second and almost took his head off. It was basically charging and a high hit that nobody seems to mention.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
AS per usual people make out a mountain out of a molehill about my comments on Nurse last night. So I'll condense and repeat. A bit strange to spend all night trying to get in peoples grills after whistles trying to pick a fight when the CIS players are instructed not to fight and get suspended for fighting. This is a simple concept to follow.

I understand this being hfoil people will defend such action just because. But seriously it was a bit of a joke. U of A players would all be saying the same in class today.

McDeathbyCheerios*

AS per usual people make out a mountain out of a molehill about my comments on Nurse last night. So I'll condense and repeat. A bit strange to spend all night trying to get in peoples grills after whistles trying to pick a fight when the CIS players are instructed not to fight and get suspended for fighting. This is a simple concept to follow.

I understand this being hfoil people will defend such action just because. But seriously it was a bit of a joke. U of A players would all be saying the same in class today.
I'm sure Nurse was 100% sure of a different leagues rules. He was just doing what he normally done when his team and himself get run

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't know what it is with some you guys... If a player acts tough or has a no bs attitude, like Nurse, when he's on the ice he becomes a brat. If he had done nothing to the constant chirps and hits to his head then he would've been labelled as a softie. Haha like what do you guys want him to be then? It's very absurd

Agreed. The Bears were playing pretty chippy. It's sad how HFOil hates tough players and nastiness. We cry about being a weak necked, soft team of pansies, who get pushed around, then go ahead and decry guys like Nurse. Didn't we want to be the bully, instead of being the ones bullied all the time?

Maybe we've been such a soft team for so long, that people are starting to get comfortable with it. Put your big boy pants on people, this is hockey, not basketball.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm sure Nurse was 100% sure of a different leagues rules. He was just doing what he normally done when his team and himself get run

His team and Nurse did get run last night. Repeatedly. What deterrent effect did Nurse have?

What Golden Bear player was shaking in his skates going. "Oh no, Darnell Nurse!"

Maybe at some point this guy ends up being some kind of intimidating factor but lets just say he's not there yet playing against men. Which is fine, he's young.

But myself I think he's not ready to be any kind of deterring effect in the NHL squaring off in the touch WC.

Best thing the Oilers could do is give this kid some more time to develop before he gets his bell rung bad.

That said Nurse is a lot brighter than Teubert, I give him that hands down..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed. The Bears were playing pretty chippy. It's sad how HFOil hates tough players and nastiness. We cry about being a weak necked, soft team of pansies, who get pushed around, then go ahead and decry guys like Nurse. Didn't we want to be the bully, instead of being the ones bullied all the time?

Maybe we've been such a soft team for so long, that people are starting to get comfortable with it. Put your big boy pants on people, this is hockey, not basketball.

Who hates tough players and nastiness? I'm a fan of the LA KINGS. I want to see tough play against tough NHL players before I call it tough. If its that, and ready to be that then kumbaya..:laugh:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Who hates tough players and nastiness? I'm a fan of the LA KINGS. I want to see gough play against tough NHL players before I call it tough. If its that, and ready to be that then kumbaya..:laugh:

This board does. Every tough guy, who can or can't play gets crapped on here. My post was including of everyone who is getting on Nurse's case, not just calling you out . :)

Nurse plays that way everywhere he goes, he hasn't had much of a chance to play tough against NHL players in rookie tournaments. If guys take no **** in the NHL, they generally take no **** every step along the way to the NHL. That's just Darnell being Darnell.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse should have known the only acceptable way to deal with physicality is to hang his head dejectedly and glide slowly to the bench.

Another glaring sign of his Teubert-esque hockey IQ.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
The guy Nurse engaged which resulted in him getting tossed was Travis Toomey, wasn't it?

Really? Because I was pretty sure Toomey was some 17 engineering major, cuz, like, Nurse is a total punk.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This board does. Every tough guy, who can or can't play gets crapped on here. My post was including of everyone who is getting on Nurse's case, not just calling you out . :)

Nurse plays that way everywhere he goes, he hasn't had much of a chance to play tough against NHL players in rookie tournaments. If guys take no **** in the NHL, they generally take no **** every step along the way to the NHL. That's just Darnell being Darnell.

No worries. But lets just say if Darnell brings this demeanor right away to the NHL he's in for some rude awakenings. This is going to be a much different playground. If Darnell could hold ground in tough WC then that's obviously a good thing. Pretty sure he's not even close to being that presence yet.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nurse should have known the only acceptable way to deal with physicality is to hang his head dejectedly and glide slowly to the bench.Another glaring sign of his Teubert-esque hockey IQ.

Being an Oiler coached by Eakins I imagine its only a matter of time. ;):(

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
No worries. But lets just say if Darnell brings this demeanor right away to the NHL he's in for some rude awakenings. This is going to be a much different playground. If Darnell could hold ground in tough WC then that's obviously a good thing. Pretty sure he's not even close to being that presence yet.

I don't entirely understand what you're getting at here.

Basically, "he shouldn't be acting tough at all, because it's not against real NHL competition."

I'm assuming that's the point of all of this? You're in the belief that he should sit on his hands, and not play the type of game that was billed to us even before we drafted him, because it's not the right place against the right opposition? But, as well as that, he shouldn't bring that demeanor to the NHL because he'll be taught a lesson?

Sorry, I'll change what I initially assumed was your point to: "Don't be tough or show fortitude. There's no room for it ever."

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

If he gets tuned, he gets tuned, but I think he will be able to handle himself when he makes the jump. I don't see Darnell making the team just yet, when he's ready to, I would think he'll be ready to handle the physical side of the game. That's the hope anyway. He's fought some real tough guys, so he is capable in the fisticuffs, but it'll certainly be good for his overall physicality when he adds some more muscle to his frame.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't entirely understand what you're getting at here.

Basically, "he shouldn't be acting tough at all, because it's not against real NHL competition."

I'm assuming that's the point of all of this? You're in the belief that he should sit on his hands, and not play the type of game that was billed to us even before we drafted him, because it's not the right place against the right opposition? But, as well as that, he shouldn't bring that demeanor to the NHL because he'll be taught a lesson?

Sorry, I'll change what I initially assumed was your point to: "Don't be tough or show fortitude. There's no room for it ever."

I've been very clear. I don't know how its confusing. By all means I have no difficulty with Nurse bringing physical play, elbows, hits whatever last night. But going up to guys half a dozen times trying to get a fight going in a match where your opponents are not allowed to fight is kind of lame.

As to my comments about Nurse in NHL play I think he's going to be fed his lunch quicker rather than later if he tries to get into it. That's jmo on how tough Nurse presently is. That's all.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I've been very clear. I don't know how its confusing. By all means I have no difficulty with Nurse bringing physical play, elbows, hits whatever last night. But going up to guys half a dozen times trying to get a fight going in a match where your opponents are not allowed to fight is kind of lame.

As to my comments about Nurse in NHL play I think he's going to be fed his lunch quicker rather than later if he tries to get into it. That's jmo on how tough Nurse presently is. That's all.

The latter explanation is what I was confused about. To me it read, "If you're going to be tough, do it against real NHL players. But don't do it against NHL players, as you'll fall hard." Just a very quick contradiction. Understood.

Now the former, you probably need to add to your expectations of Nurse this constant urge to be the tough/leader type of guy. He has a mean streak, and this type of play is what left a majority of us excited about what he can add when we drafted him. Otherwise, you may continue to be annoyed by his "antics", if you can even call them that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad