GDT: Oilers rookies @ Golden Bears | Puck drop at 7PM

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Went to the game tonight so here are a couple of things right off the top of my head that I noticed. I'll expand on things and more players later, I'm tired right now.

Draisaitl- fun to watch and clearly the best best forward on the ice. Nice hands, slick passes and is willing to drive the net. His speed actually looked pretty good to me a couple of times on the rush. Imo he needs to work on his balance though.

Yakimov- Wasn't anything special tonight, started out pretty good but kind of faded away. He scored a sweet in the air rebound breakaway goal tonight which was awesome. He seems lazy though especially in the neutral zone, coasting, not always coming back to our zone in a hurry, not going for the puck very quickly, those kind of things. But he is definitely skilled with the puck and can make some good moves.

Tkachev- Was quiet tonight and left me disappointed. His puck skills are amazing but his decision making wasn't the best and he gets pushed off the puck pretty easily. Wow is he ever tiny, looks like a child out there.

Simpson- Quiet but steady, he played an all round good game. I liked what I saw, nothing flashy. Except his spin move leaving the D zone lol!

Nurse- taking a lot of heat on here for his little scuffle, I liked it. He is a mean SOB and doesn't take crap from anyone. He was mean in the corners and gave a lot of hard shoves. The UofA player must have really said something to him to piss him off because 2 refs couldn't get him off that guy. He had nothing to lose in this meaningless game so he went for it. His puck rushing abilities seem solid but his shot seemed off tonight.

Ewanyk- very good tonight, he seemed all over the place and created some offense. He exceeded my expectations. Could be a good 4th liner one day.

Platzer- didn't do much tonight and seemed pretty invisible. A lot of people have been hyping him up lately and based on what I've seen from in the OHL and tonight I don't think it's justified. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Moroz- I expected more. I like him as a player just was hoping he would make himself more noticeable.

Jones bros- they seem like Ok players and they play a decent all round game but I don't think the upside is very high or even NHL.

Chase- I liked what I saw. Not afraid to bang bodies and stir up ****. He could definitely turn into a 3rd line pest if he can translate some offense to the AHL and maybe NHL.

Holmberg- good skills and a decent rush or two but didn't notice him too much.

Khaira- good penalty killing and defensive play but not much of an offensive game. Long shot imo to be more than a 4th line center. Wasn't a big fan of his from what I saw in the dub last year (I was hoping for more offense) and I still can't say I'm a big fan of his.

Kessy- I actually thought he had a very good game. Banging bodies, stirring the pot. Played a tough game like he's expected to do. Low expectations but he played well.

Sorry some are brief, like I said I'm tired haha. It was a very good game though and way more feistiness than I thought there would be. Some of our guys were playing pretty rough but the UofA players weren't innocent either. I'll be going again next year!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm totally fine with Nurse being chippy and uncomfortable to play against, as long as it doesn't end up hurting the team more than it helps.

I'd rather have that style of defense than another Phillip Larsen.

And it should be noted that Nurse was hardly the only player out there being a jacka$$, Ewanyk and Kessy were playing that way too...and it's not like the Bears were choirboys either, if Ewanyk's words meaning anything:

“More room on the wing,†said the former Oil Kings’ forward, who got his dander up in the dying seconds after a wicked slash. “I couldn't believe how hard the guy hit me.â€

Makes me wonder if the "Bears can't fight" thing cuts both ways...does it put them at a disadvantage? Or does it give them a shield to hide behind when their chippy play has an opponent looking for payback?

UofA can't fight, but they can be chippy and rough, just like Nurse, and others, were. I don't mind Darnell dishing it out a bit as long as he doesn't take boneheaded penalties. He just needs to tighten up in that area a bit is all.

U of A is still an excellent "team", and that's the big advantage they will always have over the prospects.

Honestly, 99% of people enjoyed the game and don't have much to complain about. There's always a few who do, but they generally complain about everything so it's best to have them on ignore.

I enjoyed the game and can't wait for Camp/Preseason.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
Or you know.... Its a hockey game and things get heated

Didn't watch the game but kind of makes sense for me.

I imagine all these strapping young gents on the Bears, that while successful in their own right (getting an education to play hockey) bite down a bit harder when they play the Oilers' Rooks.

These are the guys they wanted to be and I imagine there are many a chip out there who just relish the chance to beat someone in blue and orange in a corner battle, a faceoff, a one on one, just for the personal ability to internally go "**** you" I could of done this if not for x,y, or z.

I mean when you are having a beer with your buds do you want to tell the tale about how you stripped the puck from Chris Colins or when you were out there with high German draft and he never had the puck on his stick for second...

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
It is but compared to the games against NHL prospects, he was being ridiculous. He barely did anything in those and suddenly decided against smaller, less skilled players he was gonna be physical.

Nurse got run a few times tonight. Osterle got caught with a knee. It was a little chippy out there. Nurse isn't a player who takes it laying down. He's going to play with push back and some fire in his belly. He may not be ready yet to play that game amongst NHLers, but he's for sure close, and he's going to be a very effective NHL defenseman with that style of play, when he is ready.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse got run a few times tonight. Osterle got caught with a knee. It was a little chippy out there. Nurse isn't a player who takes it laying down. He's going to play with push back and some fire in his belly. He may not be ready yet to play that game amongst NHLers, but he's for sure close, and he's going to be a very effective NHL defenseman with that style of play, when he is ready.
I much rather a guy like Nurse taking a penalty to prove a point then Petry who stands at the bus stop and watches things happen.

Heart and soul is something we have been lacking. Gazdic and Hendricks have it but can only do so much as 4th liners, we need more of it and Nurse is a start

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
jebus people are talking Nurse up like he's take no prisoners King Kong out there. Frankly I don't see it. Guy picks his spots, even gets run, doesn't seem to intimidate anybody as far as I can see.

Couple years ago here people were talking Teubert up to monolith standards when it was obvious he was a complete posturing joke.

Not saying Nurse is that but I'm not seeing the tough guy act. I'm seeing a lot of selective action in one game.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
jebus people are talking Nurse up like he's take no prisoners King Kong out there. Frankly I don't see it. Guy picks his spots, even gets run, doesn't seem to intimidate anybody as far as I can see.

Couple years ago here people were talking Teubert up to monolith standards when it was obvious he was a complete posturing joke.

Not saying Nurse is that but I'm not seeing the tough guy act. I'm seeing a lot of selective action in one game.

Ok, but you see the negatives more than the positives in everything. So you'll have to excuse those of use that don't.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ok, but you see the negatives more than the positives in everything. So you'll have to excuse those of use that don't.

:handclap: haha well said. have to agree.

Nurse can be nasty, not a bad thing. OF course as long as he controls it, which he seems more than capable of doing.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
So from Nurse's Post Game:

on physicality
"...they are alot bigger guys than we played against in Penticton, alot older so, just tried to go out there and make my presence felt from the first shift.."

on misconduct
"... never take to kindly to getting hit in the head..." (as per what happened a few shifts before w/cut under left eye)

many allusions to needing to be hard to play against as part of his game

*if this had already been posted heckle me unto your fingers crack with carpal tunnel

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
So from Nurse's Post Game:

on physicality
"...they are alot bigger guys than we played against in Penticton, alot older so, just tried to go out there and make my presence felt from the first shift.."

on misconduct
"... never take to kindly to getting hit in the head..." (as per what happened a few shifts before w/cut under left eye)

many allusions to needing to be hard to play against as part of his game

*if this had already been posted heckle me unto your fingers crack with carpal tunnel

Good stuff. I was a little hard on him taking dumb penalties, but sometimes it's needed. I'm liking what I see in the guy. Sort of a take no prisoners, King King sort of player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Maybe tune into the Esks thread talking about a good team and I'm the most positive guy in the thread LOVING the team.

I've lost the script for the oil. Have next to no faith currently.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They barely played Yakimov after he scored his goal.

He should get a solid look at TC this year I would think. Small chance he sticks, but they will want to get a real good look at what kind of role he can play in case (or when) he gets called up to fill in for injuries.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So Nurse is almost like Teubert.

Replacement give your head a shake.

Nurse plays hard, that is all.

Just saying oiler prospects get over valuated beyond belief here. I can see why people would do this I guess. The only time for optimism here is before NHL regular season starts.

AS a favor to the board I should probably just stop posting for a couple weeks. ;)

oilz89*

I don't know what it is with some you guys... If a player acts tough or has a no bs attitude, like Nurse, when he's on the ice he becomes a brat. If he had done nothing to the constant chirps and hits to his head then he would've been labelled as a softie. Haha like what do you guys want him to be then? It's very absurd

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm honestly surprised of how some people are mad at Nurse for how he played. I remember when Hall was getting harassed by 3-4 STL, Schultz and Petry just stood there and did absolutely nothing to help out their team mate. When Hendricks got challenged by 2 canes, Yakupov was the 1st guy to back him up. Oilers get criticized for being such a soft team, and now that we have a guy who sticks up for himself and the team, he's all of a sudden dumb player with a bad hockey IQ and comparable to the likes of Teubert? Give me a break. I do think Nurse needs to pick his spots at a better time, but his playstyle is exactly what the oilers need. Give your damn head a shake.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets see Nurse do that against NHL players before we get too excited. Picking fights against CIS players who are instructed not to fight doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that this was anything other than picking spots. All too curious that the only game Nurse is out there looking for fights is the game where none are to be had..:laugh:

Where was this standing up to opponents in the prospects tourney, oh, he gave somebody a real stern dirty look once...

Probably not the smartest idea to possibly break your hand or suffer a big injury in the prospects tourney ahead of the main camp.

But I like Nurse's feistiness. Not nearly enough of that, the Oilers when they get run tend to turtle, I like that Nurse if you come at him, he is going to bring it back.

Just wait till he adds 10-15 more pounds of muscle to that frame.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Just saying oiler prospects get over valuated beyond belief here. I can see why people would do this I guess. The only time for optimism here is before NHL regular season starts.

AS a favor to the board I should probably just stop posting for a couple weeks. ;)

Of course we do. We're all nutso fan's in one way or another.

And to be honest, I do see the comparison of the over-eagerness for Nurse to prove himself similar to Teubert. However I do not think in any shape or form that's a bad thing. These are the best guys to have on the bench, especially if they have more to their game than the physical edge. I'm just hoping Nurse turns out more like Phaneuf than Teubert. Without the sloppy seconds of course ;)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Don't forget this is Round 2 of the Bears/Rookies game for Nurse. It was a chippy game last year and the Oilers lost. Nurse obviously wasn't going to be intimidated (remember, Klefbom got a concussion).

One would hope in a close game that he would toe the line enough so that he isn't off for 10 minutes in the 3rd period, but absolutely, I love the attitude.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Went to the game last nite.

If Drai has any kind of a defensive game, he is beating out Arco. I know the Golden Bears aren't NHLers, but the big Saxon is already better than both Arco and Lander, offensively. He had no problems doing what he wanted.

Gernat isn't a player.

Nurse is going to be great, someday.

Kaira. Didn't do much.

Ewanyk. Looked good.

Kessy. Not bad.

Moroz. Didn't do much.

Broissoit. Solid.

Yakimov. Didn't do much, but there should be a player there.

Tkakev. Not sure if he'd make the golden bears.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad