Post-Game Talk: Oilers put up a complete and flashy performance - Smith with the shutout*

Which was more Oilgasmic?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Matthews is winning it. All the pundit talk about how much more valuable a goal is than an assist forecasted it.

But whatever. Let the Leafs have it. This is what they have instead of playoff success

Boomer on NHL SiriusXM doubled down on the Matthews for Hart this morning, something about how Matthews had the better season. Before transitioning into the next segment he doddered on about how everyone thought McDavid would get 150 points after that fast start and that he wasn’t at his best most of the season (other players catching up etc).

Only McDavid gets this kind of absurd treatment. Even Leafs fans on their boards, most were saying after last night that anyone who says Matthews is better than McDavid should just shut the f*** up at this point.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They actually stated the broken hand thing, looks like a broken hand, and they commented on it would be a blow with Ceci out. I mean they even worded it as fait accompli. I'm sure they were disappointed when Ceci came back out.

Simpson was asshurt by something that happened around a decade ago. Something happened on one of the many Oilers get togethers. He felt snubbed. i can't remember the details, maybe somebody can. But if you think Simpson is pro Oiler now you're wrong.
It really looks Like there’s a Sportsnet mandate to hate the Oilers. Even Louie DeBrusk looks to have adopted it this year. I don’t get it, we’re one of 7 Canadian markets, you’d think the network representing Canada would want Canadian teams doing well. Not the case with us though, their network analysts were openly hoping we’d lose to LA. I don’t ever remember the hate being universally there when CBC and TSN were the national rights holders.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Am I correct in assuming that these guys wouldn't be able to make it to elevator without staying at the hotel?

I mean the elevators require keys to get up to the floors. But you can walk on them on the main floor, and nothing would stop them from following these guys on their floor.

I'd have to guess they were staying at the hotel, but it's possible there were just at the lobby bar, saw the players, and went to harass.

I also doubt they were actually staying on the same floor. I'm pretty sure I heard once from an Oilers source that teams get their own floor.

They're tourist considering they're staying in the same hotel with these players. Pretty sure a lot them do it cause they don't feel any backlash from their fellow fans.

There's always going to be fans that'll pull off dumb shit like this especially after a win last night. Fans being fans, that goes with the chirping and the trash talking. It happens all the time in every sporting event.

Some of these people are unfiltered and can't control what they say in public and I doubt the alcohol has anything to do with it. It's just in their nature and what they do. It's embarrassing and pathetic.
Nothing to do with where they're from. My dad and I are diehard lifelong Oiler fans. We love to stay at that hotel when we go out. Why wouldn't we? It's connected to the arena. Decent Lobby bar.

This year we went out in March and caught 3 wins vs Detroit, Buffalo and Jersey, 19 goals in those 3 games. Beautiful trip!

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I love that Calgary fans are saying “well if the goalie comes out to play the puck then they’re fair game! If you want to be a goalie, stay in the net.” f*** off! Heaven forbid if Kass did that to Markstrom they would’ve been running around like headless chickens calling for a suspension. Just because Smith being able to handle the puck screws up your team’s ability to forecheck doesn’t mean you have the right to run him over. f***ing morons, god I hate flames fans.

Reactions: bellagiobob

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So next time Ratchuk chirps Kane on Gambling burn him with something like this;

"Well this time I bet on the Oil in becoming an Oiler and we're beating the house and your sorry ass"

Kane is the King of burns so I wonder if he's even responded with something like above.

He annihilated Lucic, the whole idea of Lucic, in a postgame presser. "Actually we're glad anytime Lucic is on the ice"

Milan Lucic has melted since the comment. He's gone from maybe effective targeting to anger and losing his mind on a play like last night.

The reason Kane's burn was so debilitating is both teams know it to be true, that Lucic isn't up to much thats useful, usually, on the ice.

The thing I love about Kane is he knows he's going to hear the "hurr durr you gamble Evander" chirps. He embraces it and fires a shot about Lucic for everyone to hear. Earlier in the season he had one about Tkachuk being all talk when Kane offer to fight him. I think he said "not much comes from his talks".

The funny thing is the Flames think they're getting under his skin and he's living in their head rent free.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Don't get me wrong if the Flames play like last night for the next 2 games, they're done. However, I want to mention some context.

Oilers have scored 15 goals and allowed 13 in the first 3 games against the Flames. They scored 17 and allowed 6 against the Kings in the same span. Keep in mind this is also with Quick playing great, and Markstrom having his worst stretch of his career.

Oilers first 3 games against Kings 5on5 per 60:
xGF: 3.69 xGA: 2.82 xGF%: 56.7%

Against Flames:
xGF: 2.51 xGA: 3.52 xGF%: 41.6%

Against Kings all situations per 60:
xGF: 4.05 xGA: 3.34 xGF%: 54.8%

Against Flames:
xGF: 3.36 xGA: 4.00 xGF%: 45.7%

The Flames have a lot of issues they need to improve, but seeing the actual and expected goals for and goals against in the first 3 games of both series, and yet the Kings took the Oilers to 7 games, the Flames are not out of this just now.

Either way I hope it'll be a fun and entertaining evenly matched series the rest of the way. Win or lose that's the most we can ask.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Boomer on NHL SiriusXM doubled down on the Matthews for Hart this morning, something about how Matthews had the better season. Before transitioning into the next segment he doddered on about how everyone thought McDavid would get 150 points after that fast start and that he wasn’t at his best most of the season (other players catching up etc).

Only McDavid gets this kind of absurd treatment. Even Leafs fans on their boards, most were saying after last night that anyone who says Matthews is better than McDavid should just shut the f*** up at this point.
Voter fatigue.

Don't get me wrong if the Flames play like last night for the next 2 games, they're done. However, I want to mention some context.

Oilers have scored 15 goals and allowed 13 in the first 3 games against the Flames. They scored 17 and allowed 6 against the Kings in the same span. Keep in mind this is also with Quick playing great, and Markstrom having his worst stretch of his career.

Against Flames:

Against Flames:

The Flames have a lot of issues they need to improve, but seeing the actual and expected goals for and goals against in the first 3 games of both series, and yet the Kings took the Oilers to 7 games, the Flames are not out of this just now.

Either way I hope it'll be a fun and entertaining evenly matched series the rest of the way. Win or lose that's the most we can ask.
Its a good thing the game is played on the ice and not a spreadsheet.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Voter fatigue.

That's just the thing even on ice, Oilers scored more againsthe Kings and allowed way less in the first 3 games than against the FLames. Kings took Oilers to 7 games. The series could still go either way even if Flames are at the disadvantage.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Apparently Tanev is the missing link

I thought this was a meme than i saw CP. the oilers got zone entries on the far side blue line numerious times (3 that were almost identical) because they were prepping for the drop pass to mcdavid.

Its funny because you can see how used this team is to doing the 3/4 man stand on the blueline that forces dumps in's and the oilers just kept seeming zone entries on the far sides.

3 of the oilers goals i think were on straight rushes and you see the sutter system collapses when you cant abuse the blueline

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Voter fatigue.

Indeed. But it also feels like voting for a “feel good story” (like Hall’s win, not to take away from the season, it was a great season for him for sure) is a big part of it. Having journalists vote on a narrative seems like a bad idea, IMO

I still think the players will vote him as the best player this season

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I thought this was a meme than i saw CP. the oilers got zone entries on the far side blue line numerious times (3 that were almost identical) because they were prepping for the drop pass to mcdavid.

Its funny because you can see how used this team is to doing the 3/4 man stand on the blueline that forces dumps in's and the oilers just kept seeming zone entries on the far sides.

3 of the oilers goals i think were on straight rushes and you see the sutter system collapses when you cant abuse the blueline
CP was useful for something?!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Against Flames:

Against Flames:

Anime avatar and advanced stats! I'm outta here!

• Haha
Reactions: Cloned

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Nothing to do with where they're from. My dad and I are diehard lifelong Oiler fans. We love to stay at that hotel when we go out. Why wouldn't we? It's connected to the arena. Decent Lobby bar.

This year we went out in March and caught 3 wins vs Detroit, Buffalo and Jersey, 19 goals in those 3 games. Beautiful trip!
It has nothing to do with you or your dad but just the perspective that Edmontonians/Albertans are generally more humble and more courteous than to run their mouth off like that 'fan' in the clip.

You've somehow turned the narrative into me, my dad, and what we did. LOL

We're talking about the subject of that fan's embarrassing behavior, all I'm saying is that he doesn't seem local and isn't reflective of the same attitude that Edmontonians/Albertans/Oiler fans would normally show.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A new low, even for him. Just put on your Flames jersey and go cuddle with Francis.
As much as I’ve made fun of Francis over the years for being a shameless homer, I’d prefer him over Spector. There’s no question Francis is a Flames fan and wants them to do well. I’m having a hard time remembering any time in Mark Spector’s 30 or so year association with the Oilers where it appears he might be a fan of the team or wants to see them do well. I know we’ve had a lot of dark years here but he can’t even support them in a year where they’re doing well, he’s still more interested in stirring shit. I’m surprised any of the players still talk to him.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017

Against Flames:

Against Flames:

Hopefully fLamers get dominated again like last night.

pepe.jpg

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I always found this hilarious. Their 4th line and bottom pairing are massive. Big whoop.

The biggest forward in their top 9 is 5’11, 207. The biggest dman in their top 4 is 6’3, 215.

Our top 6 alone has 4 players bigger than anyone in their top 9.
Our biggest dman in our top 4 is 6’4, 221.

They aren’t a big team. They just have a goon line. And if they want to use that goon line against the 2 best players in the world, they can go right ahead. They’re going to get lit up

The brain trust on The Athletic have come up with some sort of “heavy hockey” model and have two separate projections for each series and odds of winning the Cup (updated after each game) based on “classic” odds and “heavy” odds. They have Flames as one of the “heavy” teams so give them more weighting in the “heavy” odds. Seemed hilarious before since my thoughts were they had “heavy” players but those being mostly devoid of skill, whereas the talented players are on the smaller and / or softer side. The way you pointed it out hammers it home.

There is no reason they should be thought of as “heavy” in the same way that St Louis or Tampa are (the two heaviest teams left IMO). Both of those teams have functional size and toughness, not just a collection of finesse guys with some coke machines to round out the roster. LA was a tougher team, even with smaller D, they played bigger and were fast to boot.

Oilers having the best power forward in these playoffs in Kane can tip the scales as well. Oilers might be underrated for “heaviness” and toughness, aside from Kane, having Nurse (unfortunately injured), Kassian, Archibald (though smaller, hits to hurt), to a lesser degree Kulak (has been decently physical), little pit bull Yamamoto, heavy forecheckers with size in Hyman, Foegele and Puljujarvi. Only really “soft” guys are Nuge and Ryan but they have skill and good two way play, special teams etc. Ceci, Barrie, Bouchard, Keith not physical monsters but playing a very good overall game this series. Some guys they can shift in from the farm for some size and intensity as well. Perhaps most importantly, McDrai can take it and dish it out as well, fighting thru interference etc.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Drunk disease. Yeah I don't support this kind of behavior being directed at players. I'll say Backlund is X, online (actually I don't hate him) but I wouldn't target him like that in real life. I mean the extent of it might be "you lost bud" or just laugh a bit or something. That in the video was more like stalking.

Actually I wouldn't say a thing. Been around this before. More like just a grin, a cough. (although I wouldn't do that in pandemic times..)

But kind of clown show from the Flames and Marriot as well. Most teams have floors reserved for exactly this type of reason. Not sure why that didn't happen.

Think I mentioned this before but we got stuck in an elevator with Travis Green in 2019 down in Calgary (their team was staying there, played the Flames the same night Oilers played the Kings and won 6-5 or whatever). I was wearing an Oilers hat, we exchanged smirks and that was about it.

I’m also the type to not want to hound someone famous for an autograph or something like that, think it’s kind of embarrassing. Smile and nod is about it

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Matthews is winning it. All the pundit talk about how much more valuable a goal is than an assist forecasted it.

But whatever. Let the Leafs have it. This is what they have instead of playoff success
It'll be kind of funny if it happens considering all the "McDavid just plays for individual trophies and disappears in the playoffs" hot takes that come out of Toronto.

Reactions: gordonhught

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Not the classiest move in the world and the banter was so weak maybe a 2.5 or 3/10 at best, but at least he didn’t say anything out of line imo. I’m sure they have heard worse things from nastier fans before.

If anything I think the dude embarrassed himself more than the fan base

They’ve probably heard worse from their own fans after a tough loss, like every team and fanbase. Just not on camera or suppressed if so.

Reactions: Magnum23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad