Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One player and his progression seems like a complete analog to Koekkoek. Steve Staios. Staios was essentially bouncing around until his mid-20s when he had a good season with Atlanta. He then signed with the Oilers and became a fixture in the top 4 for about 6 seasons. Koekkoek plays a very similar game to Staios too, maximum effort, smart and simple, heady. He might be a real find and could really mitigate the possible (if not likely) departure of Larsson this coming summer.
I can get why Tampa cut him. They had him for like 7 years bouncing around between AHL and NHL, so it was time to cut ties.

CHI though, why would you cut ties with him? Not like they couldn't have brought him back for one more season. Then again this is a team that thought Subban and Delia would work as a NHL tandem

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Screenshot_20210115-100047_NHL.jpg

McDavid telling jones to get off his powerplay :laugh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I had a couple hiccups, but overall I came away impressed with his play and his skill level was better then I was expecting.

Skill level was never really the knock on him.

Coming out of junior his main concerns were hockey IQ and risk taking as a OFD.

Reading CHI fans however, it seems he went in the opposite direction last year and completely neutered his game, playing extremely conservatively. (Not bad, just unexciting in a Brandon-Davidson-on-a-good-day sort of way).

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Lol honestly my friend and I were rolling on the floor laughing when we saw that.

It was like McDavid saw Jones and was like “get the f*** off the ice now”

I think of it as everyone wanting the right players on but Jones wanting to cover his position. Mcdavid has control and says "K man, I got this, you can swap now"

But I also laughed at that at the time cause it was so blatant.

Loving seeing Drai push Yammer back on the faceoff for goal two, and seeing McDavid here... These guys know how to score and are controlling the play of their teammates with clear communication, it's great.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Koekkoek has been really solid so far. Barrie had a much improved game. I'd like to build some chemistry between our forwards and dpairs a bit. Hopefully Jones/Larsson pairing calms down a bit (Larsson was much better tonight), but if Jones doesnt settle down, I wonder if we have to try Koekkoek-Larsson and Russell-Barrie at some point.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm literally pretending these last 2 games didn't happen.
In the first game 4 of our 6 d-men looked like ass and so did a bunch of our forwards.
2nd game we didn't give up nearly as many quality scoring chances, but Khiara and Kassian still didn't seem the least bit interested in bringing what got them their contracts.
I haven't had any expectations out of Puljujarvi, but he did look quite useful at times in the second game.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Biggest thing I saw, that the finally stop doing, was giving so much space and respect to their opponent, instead of treating them like a team they could just go beat. It was a nice change as well.

I have a few worries, one is whether or not Kahun has finish. He's got good speed and skill, plays will Drai and Honeybadger, but I worry if the level of finish isn't there

Kahun doesn't have the strongest shot so a lot of his goals are going to be from him being in close to the net or finishing on cross ice feeds from not too far out. Playing with Draisaitl if he finished with 10-15 goals and 20-25 assists I think that would be a pretty good year for Kahun.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
C05245D0-4076-41A3-8D2C-E3BEBD92E53E.png
I don’t mind them for the third jersey, but if they ever switch to their first string I won’t like them. It’s good for a change, but don’t want to see them all the time

I’m a Boston Red Sox fan, and it’s the same with their third jerseys. I love the red and dark blue, but don’t want to see that day in and day out. I’m a plain jane guy

granted, I don’t really like the orange either. I miss the royal blue a lot.
C05245D0-4076-41A3-8D2C-E3BEBD92E53E.png

This to me was the best set we’ve ever had. I liked the original orange 3rd much better than our current.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I know lots of people seem to want to move Puljujarvi to the top 6 but I think it’s way to soon for that. Let him get comfortable where he is.

However, there’s absolutely no reason he can’t be swapped with Chiasson on PP1. He can bag a few points by parking his butt in front of the net.

Reactions: ujju2

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Interesting thing I just noticed.

On that set play at the end of the 1st that led to the 2-0 McDavid goal, Yamamoto was the trigger man on that play.

That’s a big time vote of confidence by Tippett that was fully justified.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know lots of people seem to want to move Puljujarvi to the top 6 but I think it’s way to soon for that. Let him get comfortable where he is.

However, there’s absolutely no reason he can’t be swapped with Chiasson on PP1. He can bag a few points by parking his butt in front of the net.
This was the issue last time with him. We kept switching his linemates far too often.

Just do what we did game one. If he's playing well and someone in the top 6 isn't then maybe swap him out for a few shifts. Give him that sense that he is doing something right with a small reward.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
View attachment 384548
View attachment 384548
This to me was the best set we’ve ever had. I liked the original orange 3rd much better than our current.
Completely agreed. The orange with the royal blue was so cool as a third jersey!! No idea why they just can’t leave well enough alone. Everybody loves the royal blue. I know adidas wanted to change things up, but the dark navy blue just isn’t near as nice.

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
JJ a lot better this game, yesterday I wanted him gone.

Still sucked 5 on 5, until late in the game when the Canucks sort of gave up, but he broke up several plays on the PK, so in a high penalty count game he earned the spot tonight.

The issue for him will continue to be that it's great that he seldomly gets scored against on the PK, but if he's good for at least one goal against 5 on 5 per night, are we any further ahead than putting a guy that won't be scored on 5 on 5 but may allow a goal against on the PK knowing they at least have a chance at generating a goal or even a powerplay (which Haas is really good at generating).

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think I saw Pulju make a few ‘veteran’ moves. He learned a lot in Finland. Even if it won’t show on the stat sheet.

He isn’t out of place on this high octane offence. That’s a special thing. It isn’t his fault we have Yams. He has to earn Kassian’s spot. If he can earn that our forwards look pretty good.

Archibald Turris Kassian
Is a great third line. In theory.

I seem to recall Archie Kassian and Sheahan were decent in their limited minutes last year, so I could see this line being effective.

Reactions: Pointteen

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Not well honestly. Probably the weakest link on the team. Hoping he steps it up soon. Wouldn’t be shocked if they pulled him out for Russell soon.

I expected more from him. I figured this was his year. Its only GM2 but he has looked very shaky. I wish he would play like his big brother.

Paging Evan Bouchard, report to surgery please

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The game was out of hand for the whole second half and they still sucked. Khaira is the weak link

Because Khaira's PK is still pretty good, I'm not completely against keeping him in as the 4th line LW as we can limit is 5 on 5 time there to 5 or 6 minutes per game. As the 4th Centre, we need him to play too many minutes ineffectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad