Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On his pass to RNH last night he sure didn’t look like a passenger
He also goes after the puck and gets it to others. Not afraid to take a hit or make a hit to try get the puck. Essentially what our top two lines can thrive off of if we have a guy doing that dirty work

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Skill level was never really the knock on him.

Coming out of junior his main concerns were hockey IQ and risk taking as a OFD.

Reading CHI fans however, it seems he went in the opposite direction last year and completely neutered his game, playing extremely conservatively. (Not bad, just unexciting in a Brandon-Davidson-on-a-good-day sort of way).

Interestingly enough Davidson is the guy 4K reminds me of. And I loved Davidson's game so I'm happy :)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Can someone please clear this up for me as I have not heard of this at all and I am not trying to spread gossip that's not true?I was told that there is heated friction between Nuse and Mcdavid in the locker room .Nurse is upset that McDavid pushes for Barrie to be on the team and has as much control over the oilers...Once again I have no idea where this is coming from and I am not trying to spread a rumor.just want a chatter to clear this up for me

By all accounts they are apparently quite close and Nurse is part of the leadership core. Not saying that it CAN'T be true, but it would literally go against everything we have heard. It also would dovetail with the apparent incorrect rumor about Drai's black eye a couple years back.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Don't have time to read through all these, but I hope Pulju is getting lots of love for basically setting up the key goal with 2.5 secs left. Most players would have looked at the clock, skated in and wristed a muffin, easily deflected to the corner. Pulju skated hard to the net, made the goalie cover the puck, and thus set up Connor's last second goal. Third assist.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't have time to read through all these, but I hope Pulju is getting lots of love for basically setting up the key goal with 2.5 secs left. Most players would have looked at the clock, skated in and wristed a muffin, easily deflected to the corner. Pulju skated hard to the net, made the goalie cover the puck, and thus set up Connor's last second goal. Third assist.
I have seen JP get more love in two days then I did since we drafted him.

It also doesn't hurt that he actual deserves it and it's not just pity love

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I mean, he did well to get a shot off, but Demko absolutely should've played that puck. It's not like Jesse stopped in front of the net to prevent him from doing so.

Jesse had a really strong game yesterday, if he gets 1-2 chances to score a game we'll be in a good spot.

Reactions: Whyme

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean, he did well to get a shot off, but Demko absolutely should've played that puck. It's not like Jesse stopped in front of the net to prevent him from doing so.

Jesse had a really strong game yesterday, if he gets 1-2 chances to score a game we'll be in a good spot.
Amazingly enough he is 3rd for shots by a forward right now.

Oddly enough LD is the worse forward with 2 GP with 2.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hughes and Pettersson looked very meh to me. Don't get me wrong they are good young players, and Hughes definetly has the potential to be a top damn, but they are nowhere near as good as the hype around them. Boeser and Horvat are the driving force on that team, 2 players I would happily take on my team any day.

Think Canucks fans got a rude awakening last night and realized Demko isn't the best goalie in the world because of a 3 game sample. And they thought this guy was going to be their starter this year, they are lucky they brought in Holtby lol

Demko played quite well last night imo. Wasn't his fault they lost, just like it wasn't Koskinen's fault we lost the first game. I'm a huge Holtby fan and I'll say it wouldn't have mattered which goaltender was in last night for Vancouver. There's no stopping the Oilers offence when it's running like it was last night.

Reactions: harpoon

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
By all accounts they are apparently quite close and Nurse is part of the leadership core. Not saying that it CAN'T be true, but it would literally go against everything we have heard. It also would dovetail with the apparent incorrect rumor about Drai's black eye a couple years back.

It wouldn’t be an Oilers season without an unsubstantiated rumour of a rift in the dressing room.:sarcasm:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I just see people getting upset because some folks are acknowledging that Vancouver has a good young team and I don't know why that would bother people so much. It's okay to acknowledge talent while still rooting for your own team
I don’t think anyone disagrees with that. I think the reason some posters were upset the other day was an unfortunately typical driveby post from a long time member telling everyone he was ordering his Canuck jersey cause that was a team going places. Perhaps some newer posters are unaware that this is the same poster who also thought Tamby was a great GM, tanking was a solid building strategy, and Griffin Reinhart was going to be a long term stud in the NHL. So yeah ... hopefully he’s happy with his Canuck jersey. :biglaugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Funny interview with Barrie on yesterday's game

Drai: "I don't do bad sauce passes"

The only thing I don't like in that interview is the Lumineers" T shirt. Music to go to sleep to.

Like his sense of humor, that Barrie obviously likes being here, feeling his way, and happy to make the club better. The thing about that Connor goal is its the first time the Oilers exectuted that Connor speed breakout ideally. They were having trouble with timing in first game and it was stymying the speed. The way Drai hit him what that pass (filthy) was it just allowed Connor all that track to get to top speed. For a D thats obviously a nightmare, and Connor answered why. That cut into the middle move there by Connor is going to give Opponent D and coaches nightmares. Because D have often enough tried to force Connor wide, if you do that, now you know again you can get torched and burned inside.

Theres going to be moments that D are so confused what to do that they try to do two things at once and fall down.

Best thing about the goal is how to cut so adroitly from top speed to where Connor ended up, and with full control and able to pick a spot in the net at will. Just stupendous play all round. Intimidating play. As a team mate you look at that and say I'm glad I don't play against that guy.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Funny interview with Barrie on yesterday's game

Drai: "I don't do bad sauce passes"

Definitely looks a lot happier than he did in Toronto imo.

And honestly Drai has all the right in the world to say that lol. He’s one of if not the best premier passer in the world.

I really like the dynamic Barrie brings to the PP. His accurate rocket shot allows us to not have to force it down low all the time for a scoring chance. It’s only a matter of time before those point shots start going in.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Leon isn’t really a volume shooter. He only shoots when it’s a really good chance.

He's not getting serviced much either, and in the two games as I've stated he's being improperly used on the PP. They have him everywhere, but not setting up shop where he is most dangerous. What the Oilers are doing though is moving Leon around, and having the opponents try to figure out what is happening. Because they ahve to spot Drai. This gives openings for others. Drai will certainly score less this season, because teams are keying on him so much. But he's still so dangerous distributing the puck. So you double team him and you die. you try to play him one on one and Leon can't be contained.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's not getting serviced much either, and in the two games as I've stated he's being improperly used on the PP. They have him everywhere, but not setting up shop where he is most dangerous. What the Oilers are doing though is moving Leon around, and having the opponents try to figure out what is happening. Because they ahve to spot Drai. This gives openings for others. Drai will certainly score less this season, because teams are keying on him so much. But he's still so dangerous distributing the puck. So you double team him and you die. you try to play him one on one and Leon can't be contained.

I think Klef not being on the PP will lower Draisaitl's goals on the PP.

Last year Drai was the end guy whom the puck would get funneled to on the PP: The play would near always start with RNH on the LW half wall, before moving on to McDavid or Klef in the middle, and finally to Drai on the right. At that point his options were to shoot, hit McDavid or Nuge for a backdoor pass, or reset the PP by ringing the puck around the boards to RNH or up to Klefbom.

With Barrie here, Drai now has a legit option whom he can tee the puck up for. Thus you'll see him (and the others) start to QB from the RW side too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad