Post-Game Talk: Oilers played with more jam

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nygards speed should back up the opposing defense and open things up for Puljarvi and Turris to create. I like the look of that line.

Is Nygard hurt or something? If he isn't you gotta figure he draws in next game with how freaking TERRIBLE the 4th line has been, just getting caved in on pretty much every shift.

Reactions: ZenOil

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Is Nygard hurt or something? If he isn't you gotta figure he draws in next game with how freaking TERRIBLE the 4th line has been, just getting caved in on pretty much every shift.

I was thinking the same thing with Russell this last game, how is he not in the lineup with how terrible our D has been, he should be playing instead of Jones for sure.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Someone mentioned it earlier tonight but a big factor in Pettersson’s lacklustre performance these last 2 games is all because of McDavid, specifically how physical he was with Pettersson.

For all the hype that is made about McDavid’s skill he’s also got reasonable size and hasn’t shied away from getting physical, he just rarely has to because he’s a wizard with the puck.

The Oilers website has McDavid clocked in at 6’1” 193, Pettersson comes in at 6’2” 176. McDavid nearly has 20 pounds on Pettersson and it showed.

The scary part about that is that Elias can’t use his skill or speed to evade Connor. If Connor wants to hit him, he’s getting hit.

McDavid is actually a "man" now as well, whereas Pettersson isn't quite there yet. That matters, like, a LOT.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Probably my favourite part of last night was the look on Barrie's face after the PP goal.

8OGqlCH.jpg

LOL. I love this guy.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Holy fk i love Yamamoto. What a motor on that kid. First shift, his hit set the tone. What a warrior, and an amazing play on the fifth goal. Great player, he's fearless and plays like hes 6'2 200.

Yep. Makes sense when Yamamoto said to the Oilers "If you don't take me, it'll be a mistake". Hes definitely proved he can do it all.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
WINN claims Forsberg

who would have thought Oilers signed the hottest commodity of the season

Reactions: ujju2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was thinking the same thing with Russell this last game, how is he not in the lineup with how terrible our D has been, he should be playing instead of Jones for sure.

I'm actually thinking that Russell might draw in for Jones. Jones has been really bad so far, and Russell needs some game time as well. Could be Lag as well I suppose, but my guess would be Russell

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Well played game last night. Didn't break when they poured it on in the 3rd. Little more possession 5 on 5 would be nice. But otherwise solid effort.

Play like that every night and team should be fine. Take nights off like the first game and it won't be.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
WINN claims Forsberg

who would have thought Oilers signed the hottest commodity of the season
They have the same issue though, as soon as they try and put him on the Taxi squad they’ll need to waive him again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hopefully Ennis can come back quick and Tipp can put him in Archibald's spot; Same with Neal. At the moment, Nygård might also be a better option.

I like Archi, but he's not someone who should be on an offensively line unless it has an elite driver on it like Mcdavid or Drai.

Can Shore play centre effectively? If not, I wouldn't mind giving McLeod a shot.

Nygard-Turris-Puljujarvi
Chiasson-Shore/McLeod-Archibald

Haas returning to the lineup I think will be a big thing.

Once healthy I don't mind:

Neal-Turris-Puljujarvi
Chiasson/Khaira-Haas-Archibald

I think Khaira's PK numbers could be enough to keep him in the lineup, but they have to find a way to limit his responsibilities 5-on-5. Putting him back on the wing limits our exposure and also gives much more flexibility to swap guys in when he's having a particularly bad game 5 on 5.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'd sure love to see the Oilers score some point shot goals. It's like a bad habit the Oilers can't shake, not scoring from the point. I'd like to see some Bouch Bombs. One of these days.

Khaira is done. He either doesn't get it or can't physically do the job. What part of making a million dollars a year to play hockey doesn't he get? He's on strike 7 for me. Maybe he can be a reclamation project, but for another club.

They just scored two such goals 36 hours ago. Would like to see more of it every night, but Wednesday showed that they are at least thinking about trying it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Before some people get carried away, let's put some of last night's activities into perspective.
Unlike the night before, McDavid made good on a batch of his chances. He was just as incredible on Wednesday, but the finish wasn't there. And we're not talking pretty three way passing plays. Most of what he did was solo, which makes it all the more impressive.

The rest of the team was kind of meh, just enough to hold the fort while McDavid turned into Superman.

Yamo was good again, Nurse was a confused tire fire again, and Kosko was better.

I still would like to see Nuge moved to play on the Drai line. Last night, he showed why he works best with Yamo on the last goal. Kahun is skating miles but not really accomplishing much. Put him with McDavid, so he can take a turn watching and not getting in the way, like the rest of Connor's line mates.

Drai was solid again, not quite as good as Wednesday, but still very good.

Still not impressed with Barrie, other than the look of amazement on his face after McDavids 2nd goal.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I love that Matt Tkachuk and Brady Tkachuk are basically the same player but everyone hates Matt for being a rat and everyone loves Brady because he's gritty

Brady has just enough rat that you can respect his rattiness, but Tkachuk reminds you why Alberta has made a concerted effort to eradicate rats in the province for about 100 years.

However, playing Brady 9 times this year, we may feel different about him 3 months from now.

Reactions: joestevens29

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Brady has just enough rat that you can respect his rattiness, but Tkachuk reminds you why Alberta has made a concerted effort to eradicate rats in the province for about 100 years.
Brady is a much more respectful rat. Matthew is the one you set the trap for.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well played game last night. Didn't break when they poured it on in the 3rd. Little more possession 5 on 5 would be nice. But otherwise solid effort.

Play like that every night and team should be fine. Take nights off like the first game and it won't be.
You're expecting McDavid to have a game like that every night?:D Might be a bit much, he's going to need some help.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Haas returning to the lineup I think will be a big thing.

Once healthy I don't mind:

Neal-Turris-Puljujarvi
Chiasson/Khaira-Haas-Archibald

I think Khaira's PK numbers could be enough to keep him in the lineup, but they have to find a way to limit his responsibilities 5-on-5. Putting him back on the wing limits our exposure and also gives much more flexibility to swap guys in when he's having a particularly bad game 5 on 5.
Haas would be a nice upgrade from Khaira. Way more skill, just as adept on the PK, draws lots of penalties, and is probably more aggressive (yes, you heard that right)

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
The McDavid thread on the mains is a shitshow. But I didn’t expect anything less from an Oilers thread on the main board.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I definitely want to see

Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Nygard-Haas-Archibald

A more speedy 4th line, Ennis gives Jesse some more offense to play with, and Khaira/Chiasson the two slow guys out of the lineup.

Reactions: ZenOil and nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad