Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose to Preds 2-0, Haven't Scored in Years

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
One of RNH or McDavid needs to be replaced with Yakupov on the first unit. No point having both of those guys on the same PP with no one to take a shot.

Exactly what I was thinking too. Put McDavid with Yak on pp2

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
No one is actually panicking... we are just collectively pointing out the fact that the team played like crap... other than Talbot who played very well... and a few other Oilers who were ok.

what are you talking about? other then two major gaffs and not being able to get one by Renne, they played quite well. they were clearly the better team.

you guys are losing it, man.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No one should be concerned about guys like McDavid or Sekera, or even Hall. What everyone should be concerned about are the guys who are capable of summarily and singlehandedly sinking this team on any given night.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Not sure why Hall/RNH/McDavid are on the same PP unit. All are LH shots so somebody has to play in a position they are not comfortable in.

This team had such a good PP in RNH's rookie season. Him and Eberle owned the puck that year and didn't let anybody else touch it. Hall/Horcoff got their tap-ins/rebounds but never actually had to handle the puck. Not sure why Hall thinks he needs to be a puck handler now.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I'm a huge McLellan fan, but be prepared to see a lot of Ference over Reinhart. Todd loves his old slow veteran defensemen and hates young defensemen. He's great with young forwards, but he doesn't trust young defensemen as far as he can throw them. Young D like Jason Demers and Justin Braun were consistently scratched for guys like Nic Wallin, Kent Huskins, Colin White, Jim Vandermeer, Douglas Murray, Brad Stuart, Scott Hannan, etc., but as soon as they were given a chance they played like top-4 defensemen.
Not happening. Ference is the #8 on this team and only played because it's early in the season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mark Fayne is steady eddy. Gets no credit compared to all the other "high-event" D-men we have.

Sekera needs to make safer plays - we don't need the offense from him.

They do need his offense. The Oilers blueline has been at the bottom of the league for offensive production for several years now. Sekera was supposed to remedy some of that so I can see why he's trying hard to make something happen offensively.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
NEWSFLASH!!! THIS WAS THE 28TH PLACED TEAM LAST YEAR!!!!!!!! WTF DID YOU EXPECT?!?!?!??!

Im outta here. this place has lost it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
They do need his offense. The Oilers blueline has been at the bottom of the league for offensive production for several years now. Sekera was supposed to remedy some of that so I can see why he's trying hard to make something happen offensively.

He's trying way too hard though. Doesn't need to pull those fancy moves. Just keep it simple.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Four 1st overalls.

Can't score a single (real) goal in 8 periods.

I like these guys, but really. Reeeeally? I don't care if they're playing the New Jersey trap Devils of the mid-90s.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Also, lets keep in mind:

Nashville 2nd best home team last season (28-9-4)

St. Louis 5th best home team last season (27-12-2)

Hell of a way to start the season

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I'm frustrated like many Oilers fans but also see some very encouraging things. Way better systems play as in they actually have one now. Not worried about the offense, it will come.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Enough with the positives and moral victories and all that other candy ********.

Score a goddamn goal or don't play anymore.

I don't think that many teams score against Nashville in their barn. They have a goddamn chastity belt bolted onto their net.

That said we could change our strategy up entering into the offensive zone. That or get more players who can retrieve pucks better in a dump and chase game to vary things a bit - though I don't think needs to happen yet .

Also we would have scored if Nuge used his stick

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also, lets keep in mind:

Nashville 2nd best home team last season (28-9-4)

St. Louis 5th best home team last season (27-12-2)

Hell of a way to start the season

It's not getting much easier. Dallas is no joke, they will be a top team in the West this year. Then St. Louis again and Calgary in their barn.

Could easily be looking at an 0-5 start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad