Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose to Preds 2-0, Haven't Scored in Years

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Schultz is playing better this year but his shot and decision making are simply not good enough to QB a good PP at the NHL level.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
3RD STAR: Ted Purcell

2ND STAR: #theassistantcaptainandrewference

1ST STAR: This guy.

tqzonsmjp8fjqfthetoc.png

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
if this game helps put Ference in the doghouse then I think it's worth it, honestly. Plus this gave McLellan reason to start Yak up the lineup, which is also great, so things are progressing. The start was always going to be our most awkward phase, and of course we had to face two of the toughest possible opponents and on the road.

We were not blown out, and for the most part put some fear in both Nashville and St.Louis. Both of those teams definitely deserved to win, but this we are not in huge trouble yet.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I'd give him a longer look with McDavid, but if he still can't produce ... his days here are pretty much numbered. And if they don't seriously get it going, I think big chunks of that previous rebuild are going to move next summer.
If production is the measure they should all be on the 4th line....

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Mark Fayne is steady eddy. Gets no credit compared to all the other "high-event" D-men we have.

Sekera needs to make safer plays - we don't need the offense from him.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
One of RNH or McDavid needs to be replaced with Yakupov on the first unit. No point having both of those guys on the same PP with no one to take a shot.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Don't get how anyone is not looking McLellan it blaming him. We looked good. Carried the play and all. Not his fault the team cant finish right now. I rather the team look great but not score. Then be a tire fire and score.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No one is actually panicking... we are just collectively pointing out the fact that the team played like crap... other than Talbot who played very well... and a few other Oilers who were ok.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
My biggest highlight is Talbot has been awesome. Guys killing it just needs some support

I think our D has actually been playing fairly well to, its just random bonehead decisions that are killing them

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
My quick recap:

Pou-Mcdavid-Yak line looked great. Would like too see more.
Cam Talbot is a beast
Nuge is a beast
Hall really needs to figure it out. One dimensional and stuck on the perimeter
Schultz has been our best dman, and Ference needs to go.

All in all, I wouldnt say the sky is falling yet. Blues and Preds are really good,deep defensive teams. I do like the fact that we are at least keeping teams under 4-5 goals a games

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
They were the better team tonight. If not for two ******** giveaways, this game would be in OT right now. Super frustrating that they've been so anemic offensively though. They have to start scoring soon, right?

The zone pressure was there. The Predators D and Rinne were excellent at limiting the scoring chances to one and done. Rinne, in particular, was a vacuum cleaner, giving up almost no rebounds.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
While the overall notion might be 'sky is falling', the past two games have shown a ton of good things for the Oilers.

I thought this game defense and goaltending were pretty solid minus two stupid gaffes. We didn't give away too many stupid scoring chances defensively and did it's job. Talbot was phenomenal. He keeps this up, the first day he can be re-signed, sign him long term. Nashville really didn't create a scoring chance 2nd period onwards. It was all us.

The puck support and puck battles seem eons better than last season. We're actually doing things with a purpose and creating pressure. Our transitions seem structured. Not just 'pass it out and pray' like in past years. We're winning board battles which was unseen in past seasons.

I suspect our lack of scoring is two fold. 1.) Sorting out the chemistry with regards to lines and 2.) Getting the system down in terms of roles. A few times this game we had guys running into each other and doing the same job. It'll take a while before everything clicks (I'd guess 10-15 game mark this year), but I'm encouraged going forward.

Going into next game, Ference goes off for Reinhart, Klef goes with Fayne and Sekera with Schultz. I'd keep Pou-McDavid-Yak, Hall-RNH-Purcell as the top 6.

I gotta give special mention to Schultz though. Holy hell has he been eating his wheetbix. The guy looks like a completely different player. Moving the puck with authority, taking slappers, blocking shots, hitting guys and defensively looking solid. It'll be interesting to see his usage (ZS, Corsi etc.), but thus far he looks like the guy we were hoping to get from Anaheim. Funny what a little structure and coaching can do eh? Hope he keeps it up.

All in all, sucks we lost but I'm encouraged to where this team is going. Absolutely frustrating considering what this franchise as endured, but I think it'll pay off.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
People say that every year yet this is consistently amongst the lowest scoring teams in the league no matter who the coach is or how many high draft picks they accumulate.

Its just a mess and so frustrating to watch. I don't know what you do with this 'core' anymore. I don't want to overreact to two losses to good teams but there is something fundamentally wrong there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sure hope they keep Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov together.

I actually hope they keep both the top 2 lines together. A lot more chances generated tonight. Honestly didn't mind Purcell that much tonight.

Not sure I noticed the 3rd line at any point. Did Slepyshev even play?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
WTF is with this team and simple, hockey fundamentals... giving a pass, receiving a pass without handling it like a grenade.. are these clowns serious right now? Yakupov, Hall, Ference, etc. Demonstrating beer league level skills showcasing. That might be an insult to the beer league guys, honestly... they are not getting paid seven figure salaries for it.

Ference should not see the next game from the bench, period. Cool his heels in the PB sucking wind with the scribes -- let them trade hot air. Suckera, like mentioned before, is quickly becoming the new Nikitin. Talbot must be ready to put his head through a wall already, after playing damn good and getting zero help.

Yeah, welcome to Edmonton Todd. :shakehead

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Simple fixes
- teach players how to hit the net
- teach players to not shoot at obvious blocks (Hall)
- teach players to hold the blue line
- teach players how to forecheck
- less players named Andrew or Teddy

Nothing to it.
So frustrating.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The Preds and Blues are two of the top teams in the west, and outside of awful defensive gaffes we didn't play too badly.

Hall and RNH are too small and weak to compete against the best in the west, though. Always have been, always will.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm a huge McLellan fan, but be prepared to see a lot of Ference over Reinhart. Todd loves his old slow veteran defensemen and hates young defensemen. He's great with young forwards, but he doesn't trust young defensemen as far as he can throw them. Young D like Jason Demers and Justin Braun were consistently scratched for guys like Nic Wallin, Kent Huskins, Colin White, Jim Vandermeer, Douglas Murray, Brad Stuart, Scott Hannan, etc., but as soon as they were given a chance they played like top-4 defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad