Oilers lose 7-4 to Arizona Coyotes

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Eberle shouldn't be on the top line. They need someone with better puck retrieval and size.

Could try:

Hall - Arco - Purcell
Pouliot - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Gordon - Eberle
Joensuu - Hendricks - Pitlick

Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin - Schultz
Ference - Petry

I'd rather not split up Purcell and Perron. Those guys play very well with one another. Eberle actually had a pretty good game tonight, all things considered. Him and Hall work, and Arco feeds off both of them.

Also, if Eberle isn't on the top line, like a temperamental child, he'll probably show no game whatsoever. I don't see how you light a candle up this guys ass.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Tells it as it is, while our coach thought our players were positioned well. Give me a break.

Eakins is a terrible coach no doubt, but let's not sugar-coat the fact that our defense is horrid.

Swarm or no swarm they'll give up grade A chances like candy.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
This is MacT's coach, running MacT's pricey new D.

The jersey is being tarnished by these idiots. They are making the same mistakes as before; tossing teenagers into traffic, matching inexperienced forwards with weak D, ignoring the middle position, crossing fingers on goalies. After all these years they haven't learned anything.

By making all the same mistakes repeatedly, they have created a team that is losing in perpetuity. It won't change until the team is given a fresh start through new management. We've replaced every facet of the organization in an attempt to save face for the old boys club; it's time for a fresh start.

Also Perron is looking like Souray did after he checked out. He'll be gone, gone, gone soon and the Blues will have traded one year of perron for a 2nd round prospect that will probably be better than any 2nd round pick of the oilers in the last ten years.

I think I'm done if we are out of it by November again; I can't imagine how the players feel tonight.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
10001568_10154685442510024_1503488737942677444_n.jpg

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Eakins is a terrible coach no doubt, but let's not sugar-coat the fact that our defense is horrid.

Swarm or no swarm they'll give up grade A chances like candy.

Exactly. I'll give more respect to Eakins, if he hammered it like Therrien did. If he at least said our defensive group is playing absolute terrible right now, I'll be a bit more satisfied. How he thought our defensive group were positioned well were beyond me. Get Rocky Thompson to show him the positional failures of our defence, especially Schultz and then make the same comment. The fact that nobody picked up on Boedker during the PP, when he slid by Petry was putrid. Somebody? Anybody on the bench should be screaming their heads off to the team on the ice saying there's a wide man right behind us.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I do remember that season quite well

I remember a team that was considerably better at attempting to keep shots to the outside, allowing a poor goaltender to at least have some semblance of a chance to make saves

I remember powerplay and penalty kill that played to the players strengths, instead of fixating on point shots.

I remember center position being sacrificed to minimize the damage done by the defensively immature wingers.

You can believe there was no progress despite the results, even speculate about unknowable things like the late run slide lasting for another 30 games if they had continued playing.

But regardless of how much you disliked Kreuger as a coach, the team is much MUCH worse under Eakins, in every single discipline, in every possible way.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Sm9XdEJzZ190UVlwUmhtTFVSVHc&usp=sharing#gid=0
(Red is bad.)

Scoring chances for/against: 753/902
ES: 590/725

Dubnyk's job was not easy.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wow. Glad I skipped this one... I expected a loss but damn. 7 goals to PHOENIX. At least it sounds like Yak's still been good. And hey, if this keeps up there's less and less excuse to keep Eakins...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Our teams average age is about 1 year younger than the Kings.

But their best players are older, and more mature. They also have a great coach.

Their young players are hungry to keep their jobs and their core guys have character. In any young team, much like yourself, your top talent is comfortably playing large minutes without a great chance of being demoted. It's not that they aren't trying, but its a complete opposite situation of the Kings.

Things will turn around for you guys in time.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
But their best players are older, and more mature. They also have a great coach.

Their young players are hungry to keep their jobs and their core guys have character. In any young team, much like yourself, your top talent is comfortably playing large minutes without a great chance of being demoted. It's not that they aren't trying, but its a complete opposite situation of the Kings.

Things will turn around for you guys in time.

Yeah, and we have fitness chop wood carry water dallas eakins

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Large difference is that Quick doesn't give up goals 2 or 3.

Okay maybe 2. He's probably as bad as Scrivens at handling the puck.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I wonder how the Oilers fortunes would have changed had they made the deals like the Islanders made in the offseason... instead of signing Pouliot and Nikitin/Fayne, gone after Grabovski and Kulemin... and picked up Boychuk and Leddy for picks and minor prospects... Two very similiar teams with maligned GMs and lots of high picks with offensive stars.... even though Snow made the horrid Vanek deal he has made good with his offseason. The same can't be said for MacTavish. The Boychuk and Leddy pick ups are looking like steals... why wouldn't a young team want to add two Cup winning d-men who haven't been given larger roles until now?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Sm9XdEJzZ190UVlwUmhtTFVSVHc&usp=sharing#gid=0
(Red is bad.)

Scoring chances for/against: 753/902
ES: 590/725

Dubnyk's job was not easy.

I didn't say they weren't a bad team.

And "considerably better" is in relation to the Eakins led team, where the worst efforts under Kreuger are the everyday efforts under Eakins. Dubnyk's job also got much harder under Eakins as well, the goaltenders are now facing a nightly blitz under Eakin's poorly implemented systems and inability to get through to the players.

They had slight improvement over the prior Renny year, which had been a step up over Renny's first year, but the team straight up crashed and burned after Kreuger was fired. He was a considerably better coach during his year than Eakins has been; which was my point. It is not a statement about whether or not he is a good coach either, as they could both easily be classified as bad.

My personal opinion was that Kreuger was probably a mediocre coach on a very bad team. Maybe he could have been better with time, maybe not, we'll never know as he did get a second season and is now out of hockey. Meanwhile, the Oilers moved on to someone who coaches like a washed up Pat Quinn, rather than on the level of Renny/Kreuger.

Well, ok, maybe that's not being fair to Pat Quinn :laugh:

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Nice b8 m8... :(

Scrivens needs to superglue his arms and legs to the net. I've counted 4 goals so far in his few starts where he's wandered outside the crease to handle the puck, only for it to bite him in the butt and have the opposing team score. Defense hasn't helped him out much, but he sure hasn't made it easy on them either by letting in soft goal after soft goal.:cry:

Fans should be more angry with Lowe and Mactavish and less Eakins.Don't get me wrong ,he's not particularly a great coach,but he's been given a bad team to work with.

I say Mac T stays. He's the only GM to at least attempt to surround the top talent with the help they need. Long way to go, but he's trying and has accomplished a fair amount in a few years. He brought in size and help on the back end. With the way the season is going it is clear it isn't enough, but I'm not throwing him under the bus. He was a good player, a decent coach and got the best out of his players when he was behind the bench and he's done a good job as GM so far. JMO.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
might I suggest moving the Oilers here to London and let me alone in windowless room with them one at a time for about 48 hours at a shot might give them adiquate motivation to play better

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We don't need other teams fans to tell us what should be done for our team to be better. We need management to actually get their **** in order as none of us can do a damn thing about it.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I say Mac T stays. He's the only GM to at least attempt to surround the top talent with the help they need. Long way to go, but he's trying and has accomplished a fair amount in a few years. He brought in size and help on the back end. With the way the season is going it is clear it isn't enough, but I'm not throwing him under the bus. He was a good player, a decent coach and got the best out of his players when he was behind the bench and he's done a good job as GM so far. JMO.

The only GM out of what, 2? Him and Tambellini? What a terrific acheivement.

He has accomplished very little considering he's probably made the most moves of any GM since he's started. His team has won 34% of their games and have been regressing since he got his job. He might have the worst winning percentage among GMs in our recent history. He replaced our unproven goalie with 2 even less proven goalies, and hand picked the worst coach in franchise history. We had a bottom-3 center depth in the NHL, and he's made it significantly worse since he's started.
Getting a David Perron, a couple 3rd line wingers, and several underachieving defensemen is hardly an accomplishment.

The Perron trade was fantastic, but we can't hold on to that one move forever when assessing MacT.

Gambl0r83*

Unbelievable that the oilers main problem to start the season, once again, is goaltending. They should know by now not to wait, Ben is not going to get any better, he's looked terrible since preseason. They need to act now, or the goaltending will suck the life out of this team 10 games in.

Brodeur is still available, seeing as how our goalie coach is as useless as an ******* on an elbow, Martin has 2 decades of experience of legendary status. He can teach our young goalies invaluable lessons, and hey, maybe he can pull out one more playoff run if given this opportunity early

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Unbelievable that the oilers main problem to start the season, once again, is goaltending. They should know by now not to wait, Ben is not going to get any better, he's looked terrible since preseason. They need to act now, or the goaltending will suck the life out of this team 10 games in.

Brodeur is still available, seeing as how our goalie coach is as useless as an ******* on an elbow, Martin has 2 decades of experience of legendary status. He can teach our young goalies invaluable lessons, and hey, maybe he can pull out one more playoff run if given this opportunity early

I won't disagree about scrivens looking bad out there (especially after wandering out of the crease) but you gotta be kidding about it being ALL goaltending. Have you been watching the games? It's been a man open in the slot or a man not covered while idiotic swarm defense and puck watching is going on -- very frequently. Marty would get destroyed here just as bad, if not worse.

Edit: good call on coaching though

Last edited:

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
I was hoping to make it to December before the games are mean nothing.... I guess this team is trying to free up the fans time with new effort to the suckage. Go ah ****it

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Brodeur was hot garbage in the Devils' system. Asking him to play in this, you might as well just go with six skaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad