Oilers lose 7-4 to Arizona Coyotes

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
How some of you chaps are still in the 'MacT is a smart guy' corner is totally beyond me. He's done exactly what tambo did previously, add lower to mid level dmen and forwards and lots of them. Even his huge 'heist' of a trade the jury is still out on depending on how Barbashev turns out.

At least we fixed our goaltending with Khabulin....I mean scrivfastens.

MacT was a trash coach and is a trash gm, even worse a totally noob trash gm. The kind you tea bag repeatedly after gunning them down in round one of a pvp video game.

Its early for this round of players, but why is it most of the players we acquire come here and play worse?

Fayne was a steady top-4 guy who used to play tough minutes in New Jersey and do fine. He's struggling here. Again it's early.

Scrivens/Fasth were both at the very least a good platoon option that would give you the best chance to win every night. They look like Dubnyk most nights.

Ference was a good #5 who was physical and a good leader. He's struggling right now.

If we were to do a batting average for player acquisitions, I have no doubt this team would be around the Mendoza line.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The-Debacle-Screen-shot-1.jpg

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
At the end of the day I don't get paid to fix this mess. It's the responsibility of the owner and management to find a way to turn this ship around. It's obviously not working right now. I have serious doubts that it's going to straighten itself out either.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Eakins has shown zero improvement. I told my daughters to cheers for the Flames last night. Theyre far too young to deal with this ****. They were sad "but dad we're from Edmonton"

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. There's no reason to be upset.

We're witnessing history here, after all. This is the stuff of legends.

I wonder how many Oiler fans will be cheering for the Canucks on Friday?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Its early for this round of players, but why is it most of the players we acquire come here and play worse?

Fayne was a steady top-4 guy who used to play tough minutes in New Jersey and do fine. He's struggling here. Again it's early.

Scrivens/Fasth were both at the very least a good platoon option that would give you the best chance to win every night. They look like Dubnyk most nights.

Ference was a good #5 who was physical and a good leader. He's struggling right now.

If we were to do a batting average for player acquisitions, I have no doubt this team would be around the Mendoza line.

I don't know what is with the goalies as they both look just awful, but Ference was a #5 on a deep team. He doesn't have Chara, Seidenberg and Boychuck in front of him anymore. We need someone that can come in and help our depth of defense, not just continue to add depth d-men that can play well in a good situation.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'll say it right now that Dallas Eakins could be fired and the team will still be in the lottery.

Oilers:

1)Scrivens and Fasth are both backups

2)Defensemen playing in positions that their not capable of playing in

3)Terrible centre depth

4)Right wing is a mess with the wrong mix

Left Wing is the only area on the team that I think is good.

Thank you.

The management and the media will lead you to believe this team is stacked full of talent because all the first rounders on the roster. Well the truth is no, this team lacks a lot of talent and compound that with the fact that they rushed the kids to the nhl too soon and handed them the keys to the kingdom and you have the current product on ice.

First, the management is so stupid. There was 1 player we needed out of this past draft, and mact should've done everything in his power to have gotten him. We screwed ourselves royally by not having a worst record than florida. All that suffering the whole year to finish 1 point out of the worst 2 records. Drai might become a good player one day but he is a horrible consolation prize for this team.

Second, out of all the hyped guys , there is only one player whom I have complete faith in becoming a star and that is Hall.

Third, this season or next , or the one after should come to no surprise to this fanbase. There is literally nothing on the horizon sans mcdavid or eichel that will lead one to believe this team is going to field a competitive roster.

As for Eakins. Don't fire him, he is doing a great job in getting us in the mcdavid eichel sweepstakes and that is the only positive that can come from this season.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Before the season started I remember MacT saying something like "Intelligent hockey fans know this team has improved".

:laugh:

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Whatever New Age System of defensive zone coverage the Oilers are so proudly and consistently trying to implement despite all its failures thus far, our goal differential is the worst in the league at minus 12 in 4 games! We are at the bottom of the league in goals against as well!

It is intriguing how MacT 's admiration of Eakins, sort of like seeing yourself in your son and he is willing to give Eakins many chances to prove it. But all good things must come to an end sooner or later. I am willing to bet my last quarter that Eakins has about 12-15 games to be over 0.500, if not, he is out of here.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am starting to believe that the players have quit on Eakins and want him gone. They are not a very good team, but there are enough good players here to not be this horrible. This is embarrassing. Watching that "performance" last night I felt embarrassed. Eakins came in as a rookie coach and started rubbing people the wrong way immediately. While his speeches may have been refreshing early on last year considering what we saw from management in the early years of this rebuild, it got old fast. I think it got old to the players as well.

He lost Hall after the water battle incident. He lost Yak after constant benching and demotions. You don't show up your best player like he did with Hall. If you wanna rip him a new one, do it behind closed doors, not throw a hissy fit on the bench.

Then the gong show to start this year. Two players got sent down who absolutely deserved a spot, at least in the pressbox. If a guy like Marincin has a slightly slower start to camp, but turns it on at the end, you don't send him down and keep Hunt. Marincin played half a season last year and showed what he can do. What the **** has hunt done?

Then, instead of rewarding Pinnizotto for working his @$$ off in camp by at least keeping him for the opener, he sends him down to keep who?

Come on Eakins, get your @$$ out of here. You've embarrassed the team and yourself enough.

I tend to agree. The players should be better regardless of the coach. They dont even really compete or focus. I am pretty sure they just want a new coach.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
someone like Ramsey?

Good stopgap until the offseason. Inevitably at least one good coach is fired because of a first round exit or his team misses the playoffs. Then make them a very attractive financial offer and hope that quells any discontent about joining the mess that is this team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think we need to hear from Ramsay.

He was specifically brought in for (a) experience, (b) the PP, and (c) the defence, where he has a good reputation for improving young players.

The D actually manages to look worse than last year. How much of this is on Ramsay?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I am starting to believe that the players have quit on Eakins and want him gone. They are not a very good team, but there are enough good players here to not be this horrible. This is embarrassing. Watching that "performance" last night I felt embarrassed. Eakins came in as a rookie coach and started rubbing people the wrong way immediately. While his speeches may have been refreshing early on last year considering what we saw from management in the early years of this rebuild, it got old fast. I think it got old to the players as well.

He lost Hall after the water battle incident. He lost Yak after constant benching and demotions. You don't show up your best player like he did with Hall. If you wanna rip him a new one, do it behind closed doors, not throw a hissy fit on the bench.

Then the gong show to start this year. Two players got sent down who absolutely deserved a spot, at least in the pressbox. If a guy like Marincin has a slightly slower start to camp, but turns it on at the end, you don't send him down and keep Hunt. Marincin played half a season last year and showed what he can do. What the **** has hunt done?

Then, instead of rewarding Pinnizotto for working his @$$ off in camp by at least keeping him for the opener, he sends him down to keep who?

Come on Eakins, get your @$$ out of here. You've embarrassed the team and yourself enough.

Well said! Is Eakins related to Ron Wilson? I cannot for the life of me figure wtf Eakins is doing. I don't mean to be stupid, but what is the game plan here? Chop wood, carry water? What a fool.

A friend of mine played with Eakins in the AHL with the Moncton Hawks. He said there was no bigger bag licker and his seat in the dressing room was under the coach's desk. He said he was a complete idiot, sucked, and no one liked him

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Well said! Is Eakins related to Ron Wilson? I cannot for the life of me figure wtf Eakins is doing. I don't mean to be stupid, but what is the game plan here? Chop wood, carry water? What a fool.

A friend of mine played with Eakins in the AHL with the Moncton Hawks. He said there was no bigger bag licker and his seat in the dressing room was under the coach's desk. He said he was a complete idiot, sucked, and no one liked him

this is fantastic news.

My dad was friends with his dad and said he wet his bed nightly and well into his 'teens.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Eakins doesn't have a clue how to teach defense. How we are possibly worse this year in the first 4 games than we were last year defensively is beyond me. Can someone please teach defense to this team?

popo

Aug 9, 2005
I wonder how the Oilers fortunes would have changed had they made the deals like the Islanders made in the offseason... instead of signing Pouliot and Nikitin/Fayne, gone after Grabovski and Kulemin... and picked up Boychuk and Leddy for picks and minor prospects... Two very similiar teams with maligned GMs and lots of high picks with offensive stars.... even though Snow made the horrid Vanek deal he has made good with his offseason. The same can't be said for MacTavish. The Boychuk and Leddy pick ups are looking like steals... why wouldn't a young team want to add two Cup winning d-men who haven't been given larger roles until now?

I think Fayne is still a good addition. But would certainly have prefered paying the drafts picks to acquire Boychuck over Nikintin. Nikitin hasn't looked good.
Everyone was overblowing the benching of Petry a bit too much after the LA game. While her certainly should slot in ahead of Hunt or Ference, calling him our best defenseman is a stretch. Back in the lineup against Phoenix and he sure didn't help. Both him and Ference need a solid partner to lean on, instead of being paried together.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Have we not reached the tipping point yet when it comes to placing the blame and correcting the situation? By that I mean it's either coach or GM (not giving the players a free pass, but they are on the
GM). Either MacT still believes in Eakins swarm and he failed to bring in the right players (thus sucks at his job and must be fired), OR the right personnel is in place and Eakins is failing as a coach.

It's one or the other. There are no more excuses for MacT. You wanted coaching continuity through the off-season? You got it. You wanted to bring in more players in free agency? You got it. You wanted to bring in a veteran assistant coach? You got it. There are no more excuses. One of these guys has to admit they screwed up, and move on.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't know what is with the goalies as they both look just awful, but Ference was a #5 on a deep team. He doesn't have Chara, Seidenberg and Boychuck in front of him anymore. We need someone that can come in and help our depth of defense, not just continue to add depth d-men that can play well in a good situation.

Did fans think a Scrivens/Fasth duo would actually be good on this team? Im not sure why people are surprised they look bad. They are both backups at best...

32 & 28 years old with a combined 114 NHL games played.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Have we not reached the tipping point yet when it comes to placing the blame and correcting the situation? By that I mean it's either coach or GM (not giving the players a free pass, but they are on the
GM). Either MacT still believes in Eakins swarm and he failed to bring in the right players (thus sucks at his job and must be fired), OR the right personnel is in place and Eakins is failing as a coach.

It's one or the other. There are no more excuses for MacT. You wanted coaching continuity through the off-season? You got it. You wanted to bring in more players in free agency? You got it. You wanted to bring in a veteran assistant coach? You got it. There are no more excuses. One of these guys has to admit they screwed up, and move on.

This is so very true. SOMETHING clearly isn't working - and as we know MacT isn't going to admit he screwed up or step down, lets hope he can at least admit that we need to swap coaches.

Did fans think a Scrivens/Fasth duo would actually be good on this team? Im not sure why people are surprised they look bad. They are both backups at best...

32 & 28 years old with a combined 114 NHL games played.

Fits right in with the NHL experience of our centres! (In seriousness though, their vastly superior play to Dubnyk last season I felt gave some reason for hope).

Oct 15, 2008
This is so very true. SOMETHING clearly isn't working - and as we know MacT isn't going to admit he screwed up or step down, lets hope he can at least admit that we need to swap coaches.

So how does giving the moron another chance to hire the wrong guy fix anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad