Oilers lose 7-4 to Arizona Coyotes

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
446 goals by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals (5.58 gpg)

The Oilers are on pace to outdo them (5.75 gpg) but not 16 games in.

7.38 - 1919-1920 Quebec City Bulldogs
6.20 - 1943-1944 New York Rangers
5.83 - 1917-1918 Montreal Wanderers
You are counting the shootout goal. Our GAA is 5.5 so as bad as we've been that Caps team was even worse and for a whole season. Yikes.

We have to find a way to curb this

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Scriven's post game is pretty unsettling to me. Not a fan of how he values offense more than defense when suggesting how to win hockey games.

Pretty unsettling when Jamieson says that Scrivens is wrong in saying it's a group effort that is needed. Jamieson thinks Hall can be the one man to change this, but in reality that one man should be Scrivens.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
(Not another pity post). Guys, Vancouver fan here in peace. I agree with most of you in that Eakins/ his system are the problems. The Oilers shouldn't be the worst team in the league by any stretch of the imagination.

Having done a bit of reading on Eakins' hyper-aggressive swarm in that Oilersnation article (buddies of mine at work are Oilers fans) the obvious thing is that if you lose board battles, you give up a perfect scoring opportunity. Statistically, being so aggressive with the puck carrier should gain possession most of the time, but it's such a risk. It's like bluffing with all your chips in poker because "statistically most people will fold".

A poor fitting coach is brutal for a team and resulted in several career lows for many of the Nucks last year. Desjardins is a breath of fresh air and we're doing better so far (admittedly with a hand-pass from the gods). For the Oilers to start being dangerous again I think many of you are right. Eakins has to adapt his defensive system or Go.

I'd also love to see you guys make a play for Staal as 1C, giving RNH some sheltering to let him feast on second pairing D-men (mostly because he's in my pool).

Good luck!

Really like this idea! But we also need a stud d-man.. no question.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
446 goals by the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals (5.58 gpg)

The Oilers are on pace to outdo them (5.75 gpg) but not 16 games in.

7.38 - 1919-1920 Quebec City Bulldogs
6.20 - 1943-1944 New York Rangers
5.83 - 1917-1918 Montreal Wanderers

Says a lot that Washington team was in a highly offensive era playing power houses like the Habs, Flyers and Leafs.

How is Mr Defense Swarm first Eakins gonna explain getting lit up by the Coyotes?

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
We need a system. I think we have the horses here. There are other teams that have less talent and crappier rosters but they stick to a system of play.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Here's where stats can get a bit crazy.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...am_id=&situation_id=5on5&order_by=fenwick_pct

Team stats sorted by fenwick%age. Oilers are at 16th, middle of the pack.

PDO is at (ha ha ha) 89, as shooting %age is 5.9%, and save %age 83%. You would think, over the course of the season, that the shooting would improve and the goalies would improve, and we'd see more wins.

However, with Eakins at coach, (and I asked Jon Willis this), is it possible his systems are also responsible for the poor shooting and save percentage?

the Oilers give up a lot of high quality scoring chances it seems. It looks to me like they do a lot of switching off in the defensive zone and teams just know exactly where the soft spots are going to be and can get the puck to players there quickly and accurately. I'd like to see them just dumb things down a lot and play a simpler system. Let them master something easy before you throw them into the deep end.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
the Oilers give up a lot of high quality scoring chances it seems. It looks to me like they do a lot of switching off in the defensive zone and teams just know exactly where the soft spots are going to be and can get the puck to players there quickly and accurately. I'd like to see them just dumb things down a lot and play a simpler system. Let them master something easy before you throw them into the deep end.

Yeah they need to limit them. The thing is, the team hasn't been completely outclassed every single game. With the exception of the Kings, they've been in every other game and at times have played really well. It just seems like whenever they get any sort of momentum, it's one chance, one goal for the opposing team and then they start getting hesitant and the wheels fall off. They need to stop so many of the grade A chances that's a given, but can the goaltending actually make a save when it matters? They aren't giving their team much of a chance. Look at the Vancouver game. Game was tied at 2 in the third, the goal given up by Scrivens shouldn't have gone in. It was a stoppable puck. A shot off the wing. That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. And against Phoenix. The team was battling hard and battling back and he can't make any save to keep his team in the game. :shakehead

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We had a lot of high quality chances too yesterday, except we either missed the net or their goalie made the save.

Gambl0r83*

Are you guys still opposed to sending the team to Seattle?

I mean, we might get the Panthers, or we can wait a couple years and get an expansion team.

:dunno:

Or a team can never come here again, and the oilers grow mature in a couple years and win a stanely cup for seattle. Derp

Move the team, this guy, lol

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I posted this as well. It is disturbing but I think for how much the players, including Scrivens are currently confused on this team (by Eakins)

Scrivens; "what, should we hang back like the Phoenix Coyotes"?

Yeah, the team should defend its own goal first. This is the NHL where teams will school you if you don't.

This.

They need to forget offense and develop a mentality of "you're NOT going to score on us". There is enough talent on this team to win games with opportunistic scoring off of breakouts and turnovers, they need to focus on GA. I'd even be ok with some variety of trap... and I hate the trap.

The other problem right now is roster management/pairings/TOI... what eakins has been doing with the d-men is mind boggling.

Exactly. Protect the house and score on opportunities. This team harbours enough talent to get the job done as long as they defend well. It shouldn't be the coach's message or the team's mentality to outscore.

Pretty unsettling when Jamieson says that Scrivens is wrong in saying it's a group effort that is needed. Jamieson thinks Hall can be the one man to change this, but in reality that one man should be Scrivens.

While I agree that he was the main reason the team lost in Phoenix, this is a team game and our current one is not even close to playing as a cohesive unit. Hall shouldn't have to carry the load by himself. Sidney Crosby shouldn't even have too. I do agree that if you can't stop pucks, you give your team no chance. He dodged a lot of blame last night while trying to sugar coat his participation in that mess we witnessed. Brutal post game interview IMO.

Last edited:

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think coaching is the only issue here, in fact I think its the smaller issue with respect to what is really ailing this team.

Not a fan of Eakins in any form, but lets think about it. Over an 82 game schedule, I think its reasonable to believe that the coach will try new things, especially when losing. This is after the fact that a system or method has not worked.

I think it would also be assumed that these guys have video of other teams, especially those with "good" defensive systems. So over the course of a season, its not really a secret what the defense (and forwards to a lesser extent with respect to this argument) are doing on successful teams in basically every situation that appears in a hockey game.

So in this sense Eakins is really responsible for employing a system that best matches the talents of the team, motivation, and accountability of the players. Motivation is the hardest to tell from our perspective so I'll leave it out.

Accountability -- which we can witness from scratches/benching/minute reducing. In my opinion we do not see this enough, it seems like some players have a much shorter end of the stick and see their minutes reduced when they screw up versus when other players do. I think this is flawed because I think if you **** up, you **** up. Whether you're a star/ veteran/ rookie it should be the same. If players see that others are going to be treated differently its going to create a division, they already know they get paid different, now they get treated differently, it just doesn't send a good message.

Now as for benching in a winnable/close game with not much time remaining I can definitely see why you would treat your stars differently, but over the course of the season this kind of behavior should be exercised in "crucial games". I think players would see the fact that certain players need to be out regardless of mistakes late in the season versus the start of the season.

Now as for the system, whether the system is good or bad, the accountability of players will play a factor here. Follow it, rewarded, do not follow it, punished. Simple as that. I think this plays a big part in why we see our players all over the place, I doubt Eakins instructs them to be all over the place, out of position, or not taking assignments.

So if this is true, this mean that players are A. not being held accountable enough, or B. not talented enough to do there jobs given. Looking at the defense Eakins has to work with, I think most would agree that this team does not have a 1 or 2 defenseman on its roster, it has a bunch of 3,4,5,6 defenseman. So even if the team has accountability and great system, there are bound to be more mistakes simply by virtue of lack of talent on the defense.

What is really ailing this team is the lack of top end talent on the defense. Why? Because teams with terrible systems can over the course of a season change their systems accordingly to mimic successful ones and can at their discretion improve accountability. This means that no matter what happens, on average a team will always be at a disadvantage when it lacks top end talent on defense.

I think of it like, you can give a person all the wood, a fire pit, even some paper but unless there is a spark you're never going to see a fire.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We were thrashed so far by Phoenix, and Calgary. Both teams that are expected to be worse than the Oil.

This team on paper should be good enough to compete. The difference is Calgary and Phoenix utilize better systems which players adhere to more.

As mentioned by Scrivens (he let the cat out of the bag, and everybody should take a look at his post game comments) the Oil are more focused, intentionally, on offense, and are resisting playing a hang back approach like Pho (or Cal). This is actually stated. This is the goods. No speculation required what the team is shooting for when your number 1 goalie is stating it. Its asinine imo that in this millennia the team is actually advocating this team play aggressive and attack aggressively. To do this in the NHL requires preternatural experience. A series of Peca like players. A young team is not going to have the required reads and judgement to discern great times to pinch or overcommit.

Also have to question why Scrivens, normally bright enough, would be giving that much info. I don't imagine that's something that anybody wants to be aired out for all (and opponents) to hear.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
Also have to question why Scrivens, normally bright enough, would be giving that much info. I don't imagine that's something that anybody wants to be aired out for all (and opponents) to hear.

Kid is fairly bright... watching his body language in and demeanor in the interview I got the impression that it was more a subtle sarcastic '**** you' to Eakins and esoteric way to acknowledge that he is fully aware the cluster **** that is this the Oiler's system play.

noeticfuzz

Nov 27, 2011
And ****... is it just me or is Scrivens really quiet this year?

Last year he was our most competent coach. Wonder if he got a top down directive to close his yap.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kid is fairly bright... watching his body language in and demeanor in the interview I got the impression that it was more a subtle sarcastic '**** you' to Eakins and esoteric way to acknowledge that he is fully aware the cluster **** that is this the Oiler's system play.

Interesting.

I kind of got the impression as well in the interview that Scrivens had crossed the informational line and was saying too much. It seemed really odd for a player from LA to be stating what Scrivens was stating. My thoughts were that the words were coming out, but this doesn't sound like Scrivens..

My first take was he was confused already about the nonsense being tossed here. But given he's bright, and he's hailed from much better team and coaching, you wonder whether this was outing something. Or even sarcastic.

Given that the Phoenix Coyotes are a model of a team that's never expected to do much that exceeds it seems odd for a goalie to question the way that team plays.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And ****... is it just me or is Scrivens really quiet this year?

Last year he was our most competent coach. Wonder if he got a top down directive to close his yap.

Noticed this as well. Scrivens was constantly verbal last season barking out coverages in realtime. This was part of the team being successful in front of him and in limiting GA. Now he's not doing that. Seems odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad