Oilers lose 7-1: Eakins' swan song?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 11m11 minutes ago

Not expecting a coaching change at this point. Mactavish will be scouring the league for C help first. Must shake things up somehow.

Mact is an idiot. How much more obvious does Eakins need to make it that he has no idea what he's doing.

Really glad I didn't watch this one. I am probably going to be very sporadic with my viewings until at least Eakins is gone.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
BREAKING NEWS ...... All 29 GMs decided to re-route the calls from MacT to mumbai tech support.

hqdefault.jpg

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Seriously, that's what needs to happen. Fired the president, gm, and coach. Cleaned the whole house and the new gm comes in right away and has the balls to trade Kesler and spent in FA for Vrbata and Miller

They only needed one season of a coaching disaster to purge. Whomever is asked to fire Eakins and says no should be fired on the spot. Don't put your pride ahead of the organization.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
Playing some poker last night with the boys... started with the game at about 8pm. We all bet on the score in the game, closest bet wins.
17-1 was the winner :help:

(We did have 4-1 & 5-1 guesses as well but you couldn't be over)

I have zero faith that this team turns it around. The only thing that might help is some emotion behind the bench. As much as the old boys club is hated on around here a guy like Messier, not a pouting piece of **** like our current expletive coach, would do wonders for how these players approach the game. Ie. moral victories are not enough!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I have zero faith that this team turns it around. The only thing that might help is some emotion behind the bench. As much as the old boys club is hated on around here a guy like Messier, not a pouting piece of **** like our current expletive coach, would do wonders for how these players approach the game. Ie. moral victories are not enough!

I don't think Mark wants to coach, but there are definitely candidates in that "old boys club" that could light a brighter fire than Eakins is able to. I always thought that chronic slow starts to games hung directly on the coach in any sport. His last job to do before the game is fire everybody up and that, among many other things, has been an issue for Eakins almost every night.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Last night I PVRed two games.

First up was the Kings vs the Stars. The Stars were flying early, taking a 4-0 lead. But the Kings never quit. They pulled it close in the second to 4-2. The Stars answered with a PP goal. But the Kings struck again late in the period to bring it to 5-3 Stars at the end of the 2nd.

The Kings managed to pop another mid-way through the 3rd to bring it to 5-4. The Stars managed to keep everything to the outside and clear all the rebounds even though the Kings kept coming for a 5-4 win.

The Kings never quit when they fell behind. And they kept coming. But the Stars didn't fold when the Kings started pressing and held on for the win.

It wasn't pretty and both made mistakes. But their entire rosters worked hard for 60 minutes.

Next up was the Oilers Hawks.

Two mental errors, two quick goals. And the Oilers fold like a wet tissue. No push back, pout for the rest of the game, Hawks win a laugher. No ice packs needed.

The contrast was frightening. 18 of the next 19 against the West? God we are doomed.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The contrast was frightening. 18 of the next 19 against the West? God we are doomed.

Crucial point in the season when you look at it like that. 1/4 of the season against a conference (their own!) they have had a horrible record against for a while. You make a change going into that, so that you might salvage some of those points. The damage if they somehow lose 15 or more of those will be more extensive than just in the standings.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I last posted at this website in 2012.

The way I feel about this team is basically the same way that Saskatchewan farmer guy feels about "nice" weather.

Link

We actually pay for this. We PAY! The joke is on all of us.

:laugh: that was awesome

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I hadn't seen this version, just the one CBC showed where you couldn't really hear much:

WKFan

Jan 6, 2008
Brutal to watch and I'm sure not representative of the fanbase as a whole!

Last edited:

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
That walk of shame is what will keep players out of town. Nevermind the fact that they earned it on the ice, players would prefer a different experience.

Oct 30, 2011
should; have a candlelight vigil instead of jeering

edit: it's pretty sad when you see the kids there who just want to see the players up close and they have to put up with village square shaming

Last edited:

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
should; have a candlelight vigil instead of jeering

edit: it's pretty sad when you see the kids there who just want to see the players up close and they have to put up with village square shaming

Yes sir. Pretty sad indeed. Not that I don't understand the frustration.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Yes sir. Pretty sad indeed. Not that I don't understand the frustration.

Fans should leave it on the ice. Boo the play out there, but I would prefer to commiserate with the players after. More than once I've talked to players after a horrible game and after a couple of "Rough game tonight" lines we moved on to other things. They are human beings after all and nobody likes to get hit over the head with it. They know they just lost 7-1. Let them know you're not a bunch of *******s and they might care what you think about how things are going.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 11m11 minutes ago

Not expecting a coaching change at this point. Mactavish will be scouring the league for C help first. Must shake things up somehow.

what the ****?

He's going to scour the league NOW for C help when this was a glaring hole the entire ****ing offseason and season?

Let me guess...he's going to make a **** deal for some centre that will suck on the Oilers while giving up a valuable asset and making the team even ****tier

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I find it funny the walk of shame, not sad. The players are playing like complete utter crap this year, and deserve all the heckling they get. Especially Taylor Hall and his stupid toe drags that always lead to a turnover in offensive zone, or Eberle skating like he's 300lbs. Only positive last night was Keith Aulie laying some big hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad