Oilers lose 7-1: Eakins' swan song?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Anyone in this thread, seriously step away and watch a team that plays as a team for a few minutes and come back in a bit.

I did last night. I went to Antigonish last night to watch STFX and UNB play last night in hockey. Best $12 bucks I spent. Awesome game of hitting, speed, and heart. I then made the mistake of coming home and watching the Oilers

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
University hockey is great. When I was back home in Calgary last days off, I went and checked out some Dinos hockey.

Great bang for the buck.

Then again, I also went to a Flames game and got great bang for the buck too. It's really weird going to the Saddledome to watch a game where the Oilers aren't playing.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
University hockey is great. When I was back home in Calgary last days off, I went and checked out some Dinos hockey.

Great bang for the buck.

Then again, I also went to a Flames game and got great bang for the buck too. It's really weird going to the Saddledome to watch a game where the Oilers aren't playing.

There were much scenery there as well. There must have been a sale on Lu Lu Lemon pants

Ebs4Josi

Nov 22, 2014
I also am one of the long time Oilers fans that lurked these boards for years.

I'm not watching one more minute of Oilers hockey until Eakins is fired and/or their is a big trade involving Eberle and/or Yakupov.

Beyond frustrated with this team. I blame most of this on Eakins though and the immaturity of the younger players.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I also am one of the long time Oilers fans that lurked these boards for years.

I'm not watching one more minute of Oilers hockey until Eakins is fired and/or their is a big trade involving Eberle and/or Yakupov.

Beyond frustrated with this team. I blame most of this on Eakins though and the immaturity of the younger players.

Is that you Kevin ;)

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I expect there to be an announcement involving Eakins today!

Certainly seems to have run its course. At this point, it is just a matter of lining up a decent retread (no hotshot up-and-comer) that can steady the ship. They can look for the NEXT (long term) coach some time later, they just need a REAL NHL coach right now to calm the storm.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 11m11 minutes ago

Not expecting a coaching change at this point. Mactavish will be scouring the league for C help first. Must shake things up somehow.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Too truthful for you?
The crowd that says they are done with the Oilers can leave anytime they want.
And the crowd that thinks "becoming" a Flames fan is even an option can exit at their pleasure.
I'd like it even better if they just left quietly without announcing their intentions to the board, but maybe that's just me. :dunno:

I feel the same way, especially the first point.

It's amusing how so many come and say "after this loss, I'm done"

Next morning, start up a thread *****ing about the night before.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ugh Hall is defending Dallas.

of course he is, hall is one of the only guys on the team that "does the right things"... even if he despises eakins, hall would still defend him (as he should) in public... you leave the bickering for the dressing room, away from the cameras... in public you have to be a committed single unit

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

Not expecting a coaching change at this point. Mactavish will be scouring the league for C help first. Must shake things up somehow.

Which is a shame. Sell assets low, bring in a new player who won't help the team win any more games and then have to fire the coach in the offseason anyway. Mctavish is picking the wrong hill to die on here. His choice for coach has done serious harm to the value of the players on this team and the desperation to make a trade first is not going to be unnoticed by other GMs, he is going to get bent over in a trade to try and save this terrible coaches ass. If this is the attitude then fire them all right now and stop compounding the mistakes. Bring in a proper coach, doesn't have to be a world beater just someone who isn't a Pejorative Slur and actually assess what you have on the roster for the remainder of the season and then in the offseason decide what kinds of trades to make.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

There are far too many issues and arranging another deck chair will do nothing for this team.

The team is screwed, at least for a few more years. Need to change the entire management team and the majority of the players, including the 'core'. It will take a long time to change the culture of entitlement these young players have and this management can't do it.. None of them seem capable of picking up simple concepts in how to play in the NHL..outside Gordon, Hendricks, Perron and maybe Yak, the rest are afraid of body contact, which is a huge part of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

completely, 100%, expected

again, we could lose LITERALLY EVERY GAME for the rest of the season, and mact still wouldn't fire eakins

the problem isn't eakins though, its mact and lowe... obviously if there were competent people in charge of the team, eakins would be fired as well.... but without competence at the top, how can we expect it anywhere else in the organization?

lowe and mact must go, end of story... no healing and rebuilding can occur until that happens, full stop

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to................???

Probably more effort then the Oilers have put in the last 2 years . The thing is we were starting to make progress until Mac T changed his mind and went and hire Eakins . I am a big Mac T Fan , but this has to fall squarely on him .

I have to confess...........at the start of the year I predicted that the Oilers were going to make the playoffs.......I loved the off season signings and I was all for the hiring of Eakins.

After 20 games and one year later I am lost for words..........what happened? Who is to blame? Who should go..........players, coaches, management..........or all as some have suggested?

I don't know the answer........and it hurts that Calgary seem to turn it around after two years.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
I have to confess...........at the start of the year I predicted that the Oilers were going to make the playoffs.......I loved the off season signings and I was all for the hiring of Eakins.

After 20 games and one year later I am lost for words..........what happened? Who is to blame? Who should go..........players, coaches, management..........or all as some have suggested?

I don't know the answer........and it hurts that Calgary seem to turn it around after two years.
I used to blame BUCKY, regardless of coaching changes somehow he kept his job as an assistant. Kevin Lowe is the main problem here. His ego is bigger that WEM (west edmonton mall). MacTavish and his impatient quote just bug the hell out of me. I have news for you MacT, if Slats was not kind enough, you wouldn't be here now.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
imagine that? lol.... bob is still tough on management though... what you don't believe that? well just ask bob, he'll be happy to tell you!

Hes actually tough on the team during the broadcasts, especailly when they are losing ( so a lot lately) , but during his weekday noon show, he is a little more positive, but even he in the last week, has turned the corner, as its hard to defend this. There aint enough lipstick to paint this pig pretty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad