Oilers lose 7-1: Eakins' swan song?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Believe me I've seen the post game interviews, don't accuse me of not understanding how drained this team is it's obvious. Save that for a CHED caller

If i took over id want it on a road trip...and a very tough schedule. Most coaches, if not all, will feel this way.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
If i took over id want it on a road trip...and a very tough schedule. Most coaches, if not all, will feel this way.

I actually agree, you've brought to my senses. Much like the fans, any change in the organization that close to the players could be a slight boost they need.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
You know it bad when flames fans are riding high and mighty with the unsustainable percentages.

I just bought NBA league pass for the year. screw this team

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
there was a jersey thrown on the ice but it was after most players had already left the ice. as you can probably tell the arena was also about 3/4 empty as well. my buddy and I called it that there would definitely be a jersey toss though so we stuck around to make sure it happened. what I found hilarious however was the fact that they had an on-ice staff guy (from the snow sweeping crew), readied in the corner to collect any objects thrown. he scooped that jersey up so fast and went back to the corner to hide with it. sad sad state when the organization is prepared for the jersey throw now.
The TV cameras didn't show the jersey toss but they did show the dozen or so people skating along the boards immediately after the game ended. First thing I thought when I saw them was that they're certainly prepared tonight.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Nd7yq3J.jpg

They put in a half assed effort tonight, so I did as well.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I actually agree, you've brought to my senses. Much like the fans, any change in the organization that close to the players could be a slight boost they need.

A couple reasons why a coach would prefer to get in at the start of a tough stretch of games and on the road. Players cant go back home and escape. They have curfew quite often (i would think the oilers need a curfew, from their behavior on the ice), and eat and room together. The team gets closer because of this on the road often. I can see the personalities better. I can see the issues better. Actually far less distractions on the road than at home. Can see who is a quitter faster, push points....and i can set the tone and attitude better on a road swing (a coach needs to constantly reinforce this during games and season....not just expect it to happen). The coach is fully responsible to BE the identity and tone of his team. It is NOT coincidence that Eakins coaches as numbly and disoriented as the Oilers play. It will not be changed either.
Of course that is one part of being a coach. Then you have line matchups, constant observation and assessment, attention to momentum swings of the smallest variation, having a plan to stomp negative momentum swings, evaluate the play of the opponent, your team, and your players at all time. Assess energy levels. Be in constant discussion with your coaching staff. Being quick clear and concise with any communications on game day. Etc etc etc.

Alllllllllll of this does not exist with eakins.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
We need some positivity around here.... speaking of where has Tad been hiding lately.
He'll say he was driven away by the negativity. Oh well. But at least he's not one of those guys who keeps saying "I'm done with the Oilers" as they frantically stab away at their keyboards until midnight posting on hfoil. Or one of those guys who says "I'm thinking of becoming a Flames fan. Gosh darn it they play an exciting brand of hockey". Hard to take those people seriously at all.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
He'll say he was driven away by the negativity. Oh well. But at least he's not one of those guys who keeps saying "I'm done with the Oilers" as they frantically stab away at their keyboards until midnight posting on hfoil. Or one of those guys who says "I'm thinking of becoming a Flames fan. Gosh darn it they play an exciting brand of hockey". Hard to take those people seriously at all.

It's hard to take this post serious.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It's hard to take this post serious.
Too truthful for you?
The crowd that says they are done with the Oilers can leave anytime they want.
And the crowd that thinks "becoming" a Flames fan is even an option can exit at their pleasure.
I'd like it even better if they just left quietly without announcing their intentions to the board, but maybe that's just me. :dunno:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Buffalo has no idea what they're up against. Gutted their entire team for draft picks all for the chance to draft Mcdavid. The masters will show them how it's done.

You know at the beginning of the year I thought that 10th overall would have been realistic for us.

After we lost 4 games I thought that it was a chemistry issue because we had so many new players. I thought that there would have been no chance for us to be in the run for the 1st overall pick...

But now... I'll be shocked if we drafted as late as 5th. That would be a miracle.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You know at the beginning of the year I thought that 10th overall would have been realistic for us.

After we lost 4 games I thought that it was a chemistry issue because we had so many new players. I thought that there would have been no chance for us to be in the run for the 1st overall pick...

But now... I'll be shocked if we drafted as late as 5th. That would be a miracle.

A lot of posters thought we were a shoo-in to finish ahead of Vancouver.
Let that sink in for a bit.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I thought they could get into the playoffs if they had a lot of things go right.

The rest of the West playing badly or regressing was one of those things that I think has actually been happening.....but of course the Oilers are worthless street crap and can't take advantage.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hey guys, just wanted to say I'm legitimately sorry to see what's happening with your team. Despite our history and rivalry, I want to see your team thrive so our rivalry can be renewed. This is a really hard time for your organization, your fanbase deserves better, tough decisions need to be made and made now, I wish you guys all the best in the near future.

I think it's pretty clear changes up top need to be made, hopefully the right people are brought in.

Thanks , I am sure most Oiler fans appreciate it . I lived in Calgary for 10 years and while Edmonton has always been my team Calgary is my 2nd favorite team . Glad you guys are doing well .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pretty sure that's more effort than the Oilers put in tonight. :laugh:

Probably more effort then the Oilers have put in the last 2 years . The thing is we were starting to make progress until Mac T changed his mind and went and hire Eakins . I am a big Mac T Fan , but this has to fall squarely on him .

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Whatever happens tomorrow it won't be enough. Eakins should be fired but he is not the main issue with the team.

well "nothing" is definitely more than what is required... and make no bones about it, nothing will happen today, or tomorrow for that matter

nothing will ever change with this team until katz finds the balls to fire his buddy lowe, end of sotry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad