Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-1 in OT

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
well, we're relatively healthy going into the break. Hopefully RNH's hand will be fine with some ice and rest.

We should be able to finish the season strong.

FYI ice has been shown to do more bad than good. Don't know if the Oiler's staff still clings to the old school way of thinking.

Too bad about the end there but Yak's been on a mission the past 2 games. Have to say I called it a bit with the first overall line so, unless Eakins locks him in a cave for being on the ice for the last goal, hope to see them stock together

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
At least I get to stop caring about hockey just in time for midterms.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I almost hate to say there is improvement, but it's coming. Giving the Hall line all the juicy zone starts is a good idea.

You get 2 better d-men and a better 2C and you got yourself a stew going.

God no to Fraser-Ference though. I'd rather have Grebeshkov or Larsen or Potter. Just cut bait on him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Decent game by the Oilers.

Oh well.

Our standards that low now? Thought they were brutal. Giveaways in their own zone (+ enter the blue line) and very little offensive pressure. The iron saved our butts tonight.

One of Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle has to go before the season ends. A net presence would be nice like a younger Smyth.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
This Eastern road swing has shown some of the worst officiating I've ever seen, against the Oilers or not.

I know the refs aren't designated as such, but this specific Eastern road trip was a complete joke.

Refs need accountability. I don't care if this game means next to nothing. It's a complete joke that they can play a role in the game, yet do not have to face their garbage display.

They may be critiqued. But it will only happen behind closed doors. Officiating in most games this year is suspect. Would love to see them go back to 1 ref system, and give linesmen some leeway to call blatant crap.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Our standards that low now? Thought they were brutal. Giveaways in their own zone (+ enter the blue line) and very little offensive pressure. The iron saved our butts tonight.

One of Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle has to go before the season ends. A net presence would be nice like a younger Smyth.

Meh.

Most of the team was showing compete.

They were pretty solid in the neutral zone and everyone outside the 4th line and Fraser/Ference were good in their own end.

Seems to be some progression finally.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
God no to Fraser-Ference though. I'd rather have Grebeshkov or Larsen or Potter. Just cut bait on him.

Yep. Fraser is just absolutely brutal, and Ference looks way worse playing on his wrong side.

The Devils throw up so much interference out there. Crazy how much went uncalled out there.

And that holding the stick was so blatantly obvious. Brutal.

Wasn't particularily impressed with the game as a whole. Playing better defensively but the team was basically devoid of scoring chances in the final 2 periods. That isn't good enough.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure that Fraser wasn't bought in for these last 25 games to be good at defence. Team needed toughness on the back end and we got him for nothing. He won't be back next year when we have a clean slate to make the playoffs.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yep. Fraser is just absolutely brutal, and Ference looks way worse playing on his wrong side.

The Devils throw up so much interference out there. Crazy how much went uncalled out there.

And that holding the stick was so blatantly obvious. Brutal.

Wasn't particularily impressed with the game as a whole. Playing better defensively but the team was basically devoid of scoring chances in the final 2 periods. That isn't good enough.

Watching Fraser play makes me miss Potter, he's just so bad, I wonder if it was Eakins or our Pro scouts who thought it would be a good idea to pick him up.

For all the flack I gave Eakins of his handling of Yak he's rounding out nicely, he's becoming a more complete player before my eyes, that's a very positive sign. I've always liked Marincin, but I'm really starting to believe in the kid, I try to keep my guard up cause we've had a bunch of young D look good for a bit and then the bottom just falls out on them.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure that Fraser wasn't bought in for these last 25 games to be good at defence. Team needed toughness on the back end and we got him for nothing. He won't be back next year when we have a clean slate to make the playoffs.

I'd rather have kept Hartikainen. We need functional toughness, not players who can't play, on that subject I think Gazdic needs to be sat a little more often particularly against teams who aren't sporting a tough guy.

In my opinion Hartikainen was more capable of providing functional toughness he isn't going to dish out punishment very often, but he receives it and keeps pushing forward which is a great attribute in itself and has a lot more natural ability and skill then Fraser. Hartikainen is one of 3 Oilers in the past what 5 years who was willing to set up infront of the net and take the punishment that comes with playing there. He's a player I feel Eakins would've really liked if he had a chance to coach him, but instead Eakins wanted Acton, Hamilton, Fraser, and Scrivens (obviously pretty happy about the last one right now :D); but MacTavish needs to put a stop to this, all coaches usually have their one or maybe two pet players they always want to have, but there needs to be some line in the sand, we're not going to be successful re-uniting his Toronto Marlies dream team.

Oct 15, 2008
I'd rather have kept Hartikainen. We need functional toughness, not players who can't play, on that subject I think Gazdic needs to be sat a little more often particularly against teams who aren't sporting a tough guy.

In my opinion Hartikainen was more capable of providing functional toughness he isn't going to dish out punishment very often, but he receives it and keeps pushing forward which is a great attribute in itself and has a lot more natural ability and skill then Fraser. Hartikainen is one of 3 Oilers in the past what 5 years who was willing to set up infront of the net and take the punishment that comes with playing there. He's a player I feel Eakins would've really liked if he had a chance to coach him, but instead Eakins wanted Acton, Hamilton, Fraser, and Scrivens (obviously pretty happy about the last one right now :D); but MacTavish needs to put a stop to this, all coaches usually have their one or maybe two pet players they always want to have, but there needs to be some line in the sand, we're not going to be successful re-uniting his Toronto Marlies dream team.

Hartikainen was never going to play here. He left our system to go play in Russia.

Is there something about that you dont get?

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Not sure what some of you are saying but the Oilers looked good yesterday. They outchanced the devils on the game as a whole. Somehow they seemed to tire out Jagr who is really that teams only scoring threat and just loves to rip apart the Oilers. They looked like the rested team for most of the game and the devils looked like they played the night before. It was end to end hockey through 2 periods, maybe not shots, but chances and it was a good game to watch, not the boring style of play we've seen this year and the devils are known for. The third was done in 2hrs and 20mins. Most Oiler games this year go to just under 3hrs. So half hour shorter. A fast game, the way hockey should be!

Yak looked great out there and that top line needs to stick together so that they are our number 1 line next year.

The missed call in the OT was disgusting. Absolutely disgusting and this is what turns fans off of the game. The refs need to be reprimanded for that one and it should be made public so everyone knows that that kind of BS is not tolerated!

Team is learning still to get the puck out of the zone. I like that they are flipping it up and getting it out that way instead of coughing it up at the blueline and giving the opposing team a scoring chance or momentum. BUT they need to learn to move it out and not just give it back to the other team in the neutral zone. Baby steps. Def an improving team right now and you can tell the attitude and compete of the players has changed. A proper W yesterday would have gone a long way.

sailorjerry96

Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver, BC
hopefully we go on a good stretch to end the year and start off strong next year. Similar to what happened to Pittsburgh a few years ago before turning a new leaf

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Belovvvvv

I'd rather see Fraser out there. Belov is always pinching at the wrong time, isn't very good at defending, never uses his shot and is usually out of position.

Agreed. I actually think that part of the reason (other than stellar goaltending) that the team is playing better is that they have a few bigger bodies in the lineup now.

I don't think Fraser is as bad as some think. That first goal wasn't his fault, he left his position to put pressure on a guy left wide open in a prime scoring position by all 3 forwards watching Jagr.

Frankly I think the bigger issue is Ference on his wrong side, he needs to go back on the left side. Besides even when he's there, he doesn't seem to be doing a heck of a lot. Just stabbing at the puck or firing it off the glass. Doesn't seem like much of a puck-mover at all.

IMO if MacT can make the right moves before the TD and the team keeps building on this play, we might have actually seen the worst of it and finally be on the upswing.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
They may be critiqued. But it will only happen behind closed doors. Officiating in most games this year is suspect. Would love to see them go back to 1 ref system, and give linesmen some leeway to call blatant crap.

And I think it should go the opposite way for officials - open it right up. Here's my 5-point fix for NHL officiating:

1) Double and possibly even triple salary of officials (I believe the current average is $110K-$250K for refs). This makes it more attractive to prospective referees and compensates them well for the loads of crap they must deal with on a nightly basis.

2) Names on the back: Put the names on the back of their jerseys again. Fans want to know who they're yelling at or - gasp - praising. The fans and the refs deserve the recognition.

3) Post-game press conferences: Everyone else has to be accountable, why not the officials? I've actually thought that many officials would love the opportunity to explain controversial or strange calls. This also gives them a chance to actually admit when they make mistakes. (Can't see this ever happening though).

4) Performance bonuses: Some kind of bonuses, including calling various playoff rounds, for strong officiating performances throughout the season. Would need to be careful with the structure so it doesn't paralyze officials or make them too scared to make a mistake.

5) Coach's Challenge: One per game. If they are wrong, they lose the flag. If they aren't they keep it.

Boom - reffing fixed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd rather see Fraser out there. Belov is always pinching at the wrong time, isn't very good at defending, never uses his shot and is usually out of position.

Agreed. I actually think that part of the reason (other than stellar goaltending) that the team is playing better is that they have a few bigger bodies in the lineup now.

I don't think Fraser is as bad as some think. That first goal wasn't his fault, he left his position to put pressure on a guy left wide open in a prime scoring position by all 3 forwards watching Jagr.

Frankly I think the bigger issue is Ference on his wrong side, he needs to go back on the left side. Besides even when he's there, he doesn't seem to be doing a heck of a lot. Just stabbing at the puck or firing it off the glass. Doesn't seem like much of a puck-mover at all.

IMO if MacT can make the right moves before the TD and the team keeps building on this play, we might have actually seen the worst of it and finally be on the upswing.

Fraser has been the worst D by a mile. Its a Chinese fire drill every time he's out there. Literally shaking in his skates and he telegraphs lack of confidence. Next time you watch see if he has one iota of calm out there on the ice. He treats the puck like a handgrenade and opponents like they are heat seeking missiles. Any time I see Fraser out there he looks terrified of making a mistake, which he's doing a lot of.
Virtually every scoring opportunity and pressure NJ had was mounted with Fraser on ice. Explain that.
The guy can't move the puck, can't get the puck, can't play D, doesn't even look like he knows how to skate, and somehow given how slow he is manages to wander out of position. In the Bruins game in one segment he was OUT OF HIS ZONE chasing a check with the puck in Oilers end. I commented on it in the GDT because I couldn't believe it.

This is the worst hockey player I've seen in an Oilers jersey in years and that's saying something.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
What still sticks out to me about the game was Jagr walking around Yak, and then Yak making the desperate dive poke check with success.

Sweet, sweet redemption from a young man with defensive issues.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Fraser has been the worst D by a mile. Its a Chinese fire drill every time he's out there. Literally shaking in his skates and he telegraphs lack of confidence. Next time you watch see if he has one iota of calm out there on the ice. He treats the puck like a handgrenade and opponents like they are heat seeking missiles. Any time I see Fraser out there he looks terrified of making a mistake, which he's doing a lot of.
Virtually every scoring opportunity and pressure NJ had was mounted with Fraser on ice. Explain that.
The guy can't move the puck, can't get the puck, can't play D, doesn't even look like he knows how to skate, and somehow given how slow he is manages to wander out of position. In the Bruins game in one segment he was OUT OF HIS ZONE chasing a check with the puck in Oilers end. I commented on it in the GDT because I couldn't believe it.

This is the worst hockey player I've seen in an Oilers jersey in years and that's saying something.

Honestly I think most of what you're referring to is because of that pairing together. IMO Ference, on his wrong side, is as much of an issue out there as Fraser is. Put them out together and that's what you see.

I think with the right guy, in a limited minutes roll he could be useful, I'd like to give him more of a chance before I write him off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad