Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-1 in OT

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009

One penalty was more blatant than the other. It really sucks to lose games like that but these things happen. Coincidentals could have been called perhaps.

The team seems to have gone into the break with some positive energy, which was badly needed. The top line was great the past couple games, but I still don't like their chances against many WC teams. We need Yak to keep playing like he has been-- he has arguably been the best player on the ice the past couple games. It's like he suddenly bought in. His feet have been moving, he looks like he spontaneously developed good hockey sense, and he has been backchecking hard. His steal from Jagr last night was beautiful.

I really hope these wins are more than just an anomaly though. This needs to be when we turn the corner.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hartikainen was never going to play here. He left our system to go play in Russia.

Is there something about that you dont get?

How many Europeans based player, will continue to play in the AHL year after year, making 1/3rd the money or less they could make playing in Europe. It's not like Linus who *****ed when he got sent down the 1st time and then in his 2nd year he was pretty much ready to flee at the 20 game mark; Hartikainen spent 3 full seasons in the AHL and continued working on his game, without pouting. I also don't recall reading anything from Hartikainen or his agent saying he didn't want to come back.

Heck look at Joensuu he pretty much played 3 seasons in the AHL got some games in the NHL and when they didn't sign him to a one way deal in the NHL, so he went and played in Europe for 2 years and then came back and played for the Islanders and then us. Which is pretty much Hartikainen to the letter, but I think more highly of Hartikainen than I do Joensuu. While I don't want to completely dump on Fraser cause he might turn it around yet, and if he has had significant health issues the Olympic break should do him some good, but early signs are he doesn't even look good enough to hold down a top 4 d pairing spot on an AHL team.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
And I think it should go the opposite way for officials - open it right up. Here's my 5-point fix for NHL officiating:

1) Double and possibly even triple salary of officials (I believe the current average is $110K-$250K for refs). This makes it more attractive to prospective referees and compensates them well for the loads of crap they must deal with on a nightly basis.

2) Names on the back: Put the names on the back of their jerseys again. Fans want to know who they're yelling at or - gasp - praising. The fans and the refs deserve the recognition.

3) Post-game press conferences: Everyone else has to be accountable, why not the officials? I've actually thought that many officials would love the opportunity to explain controversial or strange calls. This also gives them a chance to actually admit when they make mistakes. (Can't see this ever happening though).

4) Performance bonuses: Some kind of bonuses, including calling various playoff rounds, for strong officiating performances throughout the season. Would need to be careful with the structure so it doesn't paralyze officials or make them too scared to make a mistake.

5) Coach's Challenge: One per game. If they are wrong, they lose the flag. If they aren't they keep it.

Boom - reffing fixed.

Everything but number 1 is perfect for me. The chance to ref in the NHL and the pay should already be attractive enough to counter balance the rest of your changes. Maybe a 15% bump up, but that's all IMO. Imagine getting paid 150k to skate around and **** up a game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Honestly I think most of what you're referring to is because of that pairing together. IMO Ference, on his wrong side, is as much of an issue out there as Fraser is. Put them out together and that's what you see.

I think with the right guy, in a limited minutes roll he could be useful, I'd like to give him more of a chance before I write him off.

The right guy is Chris Pronger and he might have trouble holding this useless pylon up.

Is Ference responsible anytime Fraser goes wandering far out of position for no know reason/

For a guy that isn't a PMD, that does't control the puck, that doesn't possess the puck, why on Earth is Fraser so often found so far from the net, when he's supposed to be in front of the net clearing the net and the only purported thing he's reputedly any good at.

Its fashionable lately to blame Ference but Fraser is hopeless. Ference is Eakins favorite guy on the Oilers and one could see he would spot a former fave along with him. This is Eakins style favoritism at work. But I don't really think Ference much appreciates being saddled with this project.

Gotta wonder to if some more chinks in Eakins armor might be happening. MacT was high on Belov in offseason and why we got him. Belov is being benched for no reason.

Its time for MacT to admit a wrong, do the right thing, and get Eakins out of here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad