Dreger: Oilers interested in Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If the Leafs stepped up and wanted Bear I think Kapanen, Liljegren and a couple of 2nds could do it.

Ok, and now ask TML fans if they'd give up Kapanen, Liljegren and a couple of 2nds. I suspect they wouldn't do Liljegren + Kapanen alone for Bear.

Which goes back to Chaotic Orange's point- Nothing Leafs (or Leaf fans) would be willing to move would entice EDM (or EDM fans) to move Bear.

I'm with him and think you are wrong on this one.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
well, maybe your Canucks can take him then. How many 2nd rounders and prospects would Toronto have to add to Kapanen to fetch Quinn Hughes? GM’s aren’t allowed to say no in your world, after all.
Again, you're deliberately choosing examples that have nothing to do with what we're talking about. Quinn Hughes is obviously far more valuable than Ethan Bear.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I haven't read this topic past page 1. Has there been any updates to this rumour since the first page or is it just everyone arguing the worth of players?

Reactions: Darkwinter

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't read this topic past page 1. Has there been any updates to this rumour since the first page or is it just everyone arguing the worth of players?
None. The message got twisted though. Somehow the Leafs are supposed to make offers rather than as the tweet suggests, Edmonton being the interested party.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
After multiple pages of bickering back and forth , I have decided to put my 2 cents in , 1st of all fellow Oiler fans Kapanen is for sure worth a mid to late 1st round pick , I cannot see Leafs doing that a 23 year old fast winger on a reasonable contract who produces is worth that 1st. Leaf fans Larsson is Value is a lot more than you guys realize RH defensive dman are coveted by many teams Larsson 1 million retained for Kapanen

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Are you watching the Oilers right now?

Their bottom nine is...

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard - Sheahan - Chiasson
P. Russell - Haas - Gagner

They're paying Sheahan and Josh Archibald $1m each this season to produce comparable numbers to Andreas Johnsson. They're also contributing to the league's most improved PK unit.

So yes, it's actually really easy to find that depth. They haven't added top six options via free agency recently because they're expensive and goal prevention was a greater priority than goal production.

Four forwards rejected Oilers in the start of the season. Its not that simple. But its easier than getting impactful defensemen. A league with over 30 teams, will be diluted in talent. And good talent will be harder to catch.

I think Oilers for now seems OK, If they could. get one more center, and put Haas to wing. So OIlers always have alternatives with centers in bottom 6 if shit happens.

Last edited:

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Weird thing to say about a defensive defenseman.

Which player did you think you were talking about?
Strange when he's the second worst defenceman on the Oilers for +/- while playing half the season.

Maybe he's just not very good at it.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Strange when he's the second worst defenceman on the Oilers for +/- while playing half the season.

Maybe he's just not very good at it.

Are... are you using +/- to determine how good a player is defensively?

First year following the league?

Reactions: TFHockey and ujju2

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
trades made two GM’s ago are relevant because...?

well if history has taught us anything, any player Dubas acquires will get signed to a multimillion dollar overpayment, and you can’t afford any more of those.

and no, Toronto’s glorified third liners don’t return a first. Or Bear. Or Klefbom, or Nurse. Your inability to develop your own defencemen is nobody else’s problem.
Again, Toronto doesn't need Edmonton's crap so if they want Toronto's 3rd line wingers because they have a team full of minor league wingers themselves, they are going to need to pay the price or do without. The report is Edmonton is interested in Toronto players, not that Toronto is looking to acquire the layer of scum off the top of Edmonton's prospect pool. Also, I wouldn't exactly be bragging about Edmonton's ability to develop a defenseman when you have to cough up a hart trophy winning forward just to find one willing to play in your city. Even after doing that Toronto's defence is deeper and more skilled than Edmonton's in every way of course, but lets not let facts get in the way of telling a good story or anything. Whatever takes your mind off year 17 of the rebuild I guess...

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton fans aren't interested in moving top 4 dmen or high end prospects for depth.

Toronto fans in general aren't interested in none roster players or none high end prospects.

Both teams have tight caps.

Lock her up.

Reactions: voxel and ujju2

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Again, Toronto doesn't need Edmonton's crap so if they want Toronto's 3rd line wingers because they have a team full of minor league wingers themselves, they are going to need to pay the price or do without.

Yeah, those “minor-league wingers” like Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto, Kassian, etc. sure aren’t doing much this year...

The report is Edmonton is interested in Toronto players, not that Toronto is looking to acquire the layer of scum off the top of Edmonton's prospect pool.

Well, no, there’s no “report”.

I love how some people keep harping on this, somehow completely married to the idea that there have to be rumours about “interest” in players for a deal to go down, or that the interest mentioned in the media is always a one-way street.

For all we know, which is basically zero, the Oilers’ “interest” in Leaf players is based on interest from Toronto in Oiler players in the first place. We have no idea, because it’s not mentioned anywhere.

But people still scramble to use the lame argument that “your team is rumoured to be interested in guys on my team, so that’s going to help my position in defending/attacking a hypothetical trade on HF”. It’s so silly.

Also, I wouldn't exactly be bragging about Edmonton's ability to develop a defenseman when you have to cough up a hart trophy winning forward just to find one willing to play in your city.

You’re under the impression the Oilers traded for Larsson because he was “willing to play in their city”?

Is this just an admission that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about How trades work?

Even after doing that Toronto's defence is deeper and more skilled than Edmonton's in every way of course, but lets not let facts get in the way of telling a good story or anything. Whatever takes your mind off year 17 of the rebuild I guess...

Ahh, finishing it off with a classic “17-year rebuild” blast, which I guess is about as relevant as bringing up 1967, but you knew that going in, right?

Yes, Toronto’s defense has sure looked “deeper and more skilled” than that of a lot of teams this year...

Wait, we’re still doing the sarcasm thing, right?

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
After multiple pages of bickering back and forth , I have decided to put my 2 cents in , 1st of all fellow Oiler fans Kapanen is for sure worth a mid to late 1st round pick , I cannot see Leafs doing that a 23 year old fast winger on a reasonable contract who produces is worth that 1st. Leaf fans Larsson is Value is a lot more than you guys realize RH defensive dman are coveted by many teams Larsson 1 million retained for Kapanen

So Taylor Hall 1 million retained for Kapanen?

ouch that burns

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Look at how that production occurs. His scoring logs show you how much he relies on his linemates to produce offense.

Two goals and 11 points at evens all season despite increased TOI both at EV and on the PP doesn't show you a player worth a 1st round draft pick. And saying he PKs is a bit disingenuous considering he's played exactly six minutes and forty four seconds on it throughout his entire career.

Bottom six forwards who don't make a significant impact on the special teams aren't high in demand. They never return 1st round picks.

As I mentioned earlier, Connor Brown is a pretty good comparable. But even he PKd.

I realize you're looking at stats to form your opinions, but I'm not sure where you got your stats.

Kapanen tends to "do it alone". He's not the guy to set up and wait for the pass but more he scores off of his own rushes or picks up rebounds around the net.

Here's a little compilation of his goal last season, you can see why calling him a leech is kinda comical.

I have no idea where you got he's played 6 minutes of PK in his entire career... he's played over 1000, which translates to about 1:40 per game. Considering he has 5 short handed goals if he had of only played 6 minutes on the PK I would think you would want him pretty bad.

He's much better than Brown, Brownie is all heart but limited skill.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Yeah, those “minor-league wingers” like Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto, Kassian, etc. sure aren’t doing much this year...

Well, no, there’s no “report”.

I love how some people keep harping on this, somehow completely married to the idea that there have to be rumours about “interest” in players for a deal to go down, or that the interest mentioned in the media is always a one-way street.

For all we know, which is basically zero, the Oilers’ “interest” in Leaf players is based on interest from Toronto in Oiler players in the first place. We have no idea, because it’s not mentioned anywhere.

But people still scramble to use the lame argument that “your team is rumoured to be interested in guys on my team, so that’s going to help my position in defending/attacking a hypothetical trade on HF”. It’s so silly.

You’re under the impression the Oilers traded for Larsson because he was “willing to play in their city”?

Is this just an admission that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about How trades work?

Ahh, finishing it off with a classic “17-year rebuild” blast, which I guess is about as relevant as bringing up 1967, but you knew that going in, right?

Yes, Toronto’s defense has sure looked “deeper and more skilled” than that of a lot of teams this year...

Wait, we’re still doing the sarcasm thing, right?
1) if your minor league wingers were doing anything you wouldn't be looking to trade for toronto's 3rd line wingers, so yeah kassian, nuge and yamamoto aren't doing enough i guess. Maybe a ten goal season is considered good productions from a first line player in Edmonton but not out here in the real world.
2)yes there is a report from Dreger. maybe he's full of crap like most tv personalities, but its a report nonetheless.
3)Yes, for a trade to happen one of the teams needs to show interest to begin the process. Sure you can pretend this is only reported because you think Toronto really wants a failed draft pick playing in finland or a multiple year condor, but we all know that if edmonton is talking to toronto its because they want a forward. You can claim ignorance if you prefer, in fact pretending that you have forward depth is the sort of delusion that could get you a front office job some day with the oil, but we out here in reality know why this possible trade is being discussed.
4)No, edmonton didn't trade for Larsson because he was willing to play in Edmonton, they traded for Larsson because they have no idea how to build a team and are run by clowns. I shouldn't have assumed that Larsson is willing to play in Edmonton, we'll know if that's in fact true when his contract is up.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
1) if your minor league wingers were doing anything you wouldn't be looking to trade for toronto's 3rd line wingers, so yeah kassian, nuge and yamamoto aren't doing enough i guess.

Yeah, because a team's never before made a trade when it's already had competent players at that position. Just never happens, right?

Maybe a ten goal season is considered good productions from a first line player in Edmonton but not out here in the real world.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Do you mean Kapanen's 10 goals? Or Kefoot's 8? Johnsson's 6? Or could your "10" refer to Nugent-Hopkins' 13 goals? Or Kassian's 13? Neal's 19? Where are you going with this?

2)yes there is a report from Dreger. maybe he's full of crap like most tv personalities, but its a report nonetheless.

Dreger and LeBrun putting out info on live TV isn't a "report". This is what I mean when I say you seem to religiously hang off every word brought up. You act like it's CBC News or something.

3)Yes, for a trade to happen one of the teams needs to show interest to begin the process. Sure you can pretend this is only reported because you think Toronto really wants a failed draft pick playing in finland or a multiple year condor, but we all know that if edmonton is talking to toronto its because they want a forward. You can claim ignorance if you prefer, in fact pretending that you have forward depth is the sort of delusion that could get you a front office job some day with the oil, but we out here in reality know why this possible trade is being discussed.

You're sure clinging to "reality". Is it just something you need to keep assuring yourself of? You're showing you're not grounded in reality, because you seem to think everything is a show put on for your eyes only. As long as you believe, without reason, that:

A) If the Leafs and Oilers are discussing a trade, it's only because the Oilers really want a Leafs forward with no mutual interest, and

B) Even if that's true (and we have no way of knowing it is), that in any way helps your lame arguments in this thread, then

"reality" isn't something you should be trying to pass off as having a connection with.

4)No, edmonton didn't trade for Larsson because he was willing to play in Edmonton, they traded for Larsson because they have no idea how to build a team and are run by clowns. I shouldn't have assumed that Larsson is willing to play in Edmonton, we'll know if that's in fact true when his contract is up.

It's almost as if you missed recent long-term contracts players have signed in Edmonton, including the best player on the planet and another one that's not too far behind that. But continue to ignore what actually happens, because we wouldn't want you to give up your stranglehold on reality, whatever it's telling you this week.

Reactions: jeblers

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What about

Kapanen or Johnnson
Ceci

For

Larsson
4th round pick

Oilers don't need Ceci. And no to Johnsson who has the same amount of points as Chiasson.

At this point I'd rather not mess up chemistry (since Draisaitl is centering his own line, the Oilers have been scoring again) and hold off any trade except maybe a depth player for a 3rd.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I realize you're looking at stats to form your opinions, but I'm not sure where you got your stats.

Kapanen tends to "do it alone". He's not the guy to set up and wait for the pass but more he scores off of his own rushes or picks up rebounds around the net.

Here's a little compilation of his goal last season, you can see why calling him a leech is kinda comical.

I have no idea where you got he's played 6 minutes of PK in his entire career... he's played over 1000, which translates to about 1:40 per game. Considering he has 5 short handed goals if he had of only played 6 minutes on the PK I would think you would want him pretty bad.

He's much better than Brown, Brownie is all heart but limited skill.

I'm talking about Andreas Johnsson.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again, you're deliberately choosing examples that have nothing to do with what we're talking about. Quinn Hughes is obviously far more valuable than Ethan Bear.

Everyone is available according you you, and the only difference between Hughes and Bear is a couple of years and powerplay time. Expecting Bear to be available from Edmonton is like expecting Vancouver to move Hughes.

Kapanen’s ten goals are absolutely not a difference maker for Edmonton nor are they paying a premium to get them.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Yamamoto has 3 goals, 6 points in 8 games since his recall and looks perfectly comfortable on the RW with Nuge and Draisaitl. We’ve got our 2nd line winger and didnt have to trade a RH shot D to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad