Dreger: Oilers interested in Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
In reality, Leafs is pretty desperate to find some defensive help if they wanna stand a chance if they reach the playoffs!

Oilers not so much, could need a top 6 winger but luckily Holland in charge now and it seems to work out internally for the last stretch of games, we have one of the best pp and pk in the Nhl.

Goaltending worry me mosts, hasnt a no 1 goalie, only 2up and downs!
In reality, we have Sandin and Liljegren ready to go. Once Rielly and Muzzin are healthy, our top 6 is decent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is a thread about the Oilers being interested in our glorified third liners because they can't draft an NHL forward outside of lottery picks and the occasional mid first rounder. Feel free to keep running a bottom-9 that wouldn't qualify for the AHL playoffs.

weird because our worthless bottom nine had like 14 points this afternoon.

and for all the “were going for a cup” chest thumping we have the same number of points, dudes. Dream about Nurse or Bear but they’re not happening. At all.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
While you're being relatively good-natured about it, this kind of grandstanding is how these threads get derailed. Any player is for sale for the right price. These threads are places to discuss that price.

our GM literally said a week ago he was unwilling to discuss Bear in trades. Nothing Toronto would be willing to move would change that.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
our GM literally said a week ago he was unwilling to discuss Bear in trades. Nothing Toronto would be willing to move would change that.
You know this isn't true.

Incidentally, do you have a link to Holland's remarks? I don't doubt they exist in some form, but in these conversations the actual intent and exact wording is often misrepresented.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You know this isn't true.

Oh?

You don’t have a first. You’re not moving Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Andersen. You’re going to want to keep your own defencemen worth a damn. The cap is still a thing, we don’t have much space. We aren’t interested in making our team worse. So what’s the magical package you’re coughing up to pry away Ethan Bear - who Edmonton has absolutely zero desire to move?

No means no, buddy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Oh?

You don’t have a first. You’re not moving Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Andersen. You’re going to want to keep your own defencemen worth a damn. The cap is still a thing, we don’t have much space. We aren’t interested in making our team worse. So what’s the magical package you’re coughing up to pry away Ethan Bear - who Edmonton has absolutely zero desire to move?

No means no, buddy.
I'm not a Leafs fan. I've read your posts before and you're usually far more level-headed than this.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
And what's Edmonton moving that's going to entice Toronto into moving a young, very good, cost controlled homegrown second line winger?

I think this goes back to pretty every Leafs/Oilers proposal. The two sides aren't a good match.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And what's Edmonton moving that's going to entice Toronto into moving a young, very good, cost controlled homegrown second line winger?

I think this goes back to pretty every Leafs/Oilers proposal. The two sides aren't a good match.

Toronto’s looming Capmageddon is what’s enticing them.

Top 4 defencemen >>>>>> middle 6 wingers.

and Kerfoot isn’t homegrown.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Too bad.

I asked you a question.
Thanks, Dirty Harry. I noticed. It's an internet message board. Relax.

What’s Toronto moving that’s going to entice Edmonton into moving a young, very good, cost controlled homegrown top four right handed defenceman?
Kapanen+ doesn't sound far off, frankly. I don't see much reason for the Leafs to be interested in Bear, but a similar package of a young, fast top-6 forward with good finishing skills and a good prospect from any team would probably get Edmonton's attention. Like it or not, they absolutely need better depth and skill on the wings and they'll have to make tough decisions to achieve that. If the Leafs stepped up and wanted Bear I think Kapanen, Liljegren and a couple of 2nds could do it. The point is that Bear can be moved, whether to the Leafs or anyone else, and will be if Holland is offered a package that he believes improves the team and isn't too great a sacrifice. The whole acting like a GM on HFBoards gatekeeping thing just gets tiresome. You're several pages into a thread that has made you angry and wound up. Everyone understands that, but it still looks silly.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think if the two sides come to a deal, it'll go back to the rumored interests that Toronto had in Jujhar Khaira and Matt Benning last season. Flip Connor Brown with one of Andreas Johnsson or Alex Kerfoot and it's what I could see happening.

I don't see Larsson, or Bear, or Nurse or any of their valuable prospects or picks in play. So yeah, you're right. Beyond a swap of depth pieces, there aren't a lot of logical deals to be had.

Reactions: McClelland and BHD

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks, Dirty Harry. I noticed. It's an internet message board. Relax.

Kapanen+ doesn't sound far off, frankly. I don't see much reason for the Leafs to be interested in Bear, but a similar package of a young, fast top-6 forward with good finishing skills and a good prospect from any team would probably get Edmonton's attention. Like it or not, they absolutely need better depth and skill on the wings and they'll have to make tough decisions to achieve that. If the Leafs stepped up and wanted Bear I think Kapanen, Liljegren and a couple of 2nds could do it. The point is that Bear can be moved, whether to the Leafs or anyone else, and will be if Holland is offered a package that he believes improves the team and isn't too great a sacrifice. The whole acting like a GM on HFBoards gatekeeping thing just gets tiresome. You're several pages into a thread that has made you angry and wound up. Everyone understands that, but it still looks silly.

That’s what this entire board is, fans putting themselves into the shoes of GM’s and deciding what’s best for the team.

Yamamoto looks like he’s arrived and Benson isn’t far behind. The days of the Oilers being so desperate for wingers they’d do anything, including auction off a young defenceman for quantity, are over.

The Oilers are in first place of their division with games in hand. No, they are not going to blow a hole in their top four just to get Kapanen and futures back to address Toronto’s need for defence.

Either Toronto’s middle six wingers are available for prices the Oilers would pay, or they’re not. Dreams of them returning the likes of Nurse or Bear are a complete fantasy.

granted, I’m not Ken Holland, but nobody on here is Kyle Dubas either. We could demand Marner at 50% for Bear, and if you want to play the “bUt YoU’rE nOt ThE gM” game, who is anyone to say no, Toronto wouldn’t do it?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
That’s what this entire board is, fans putting themselves into the shoes of GM’s and deciding what’s best for the team.
Sure, with some humility, a sense of realism, and not for the express purpose of antagonizing people who disagree.

Yamamoto looks like he’s arrived and Benson isn’t far behind. The days of the Oilers being so desperate for wingers they’d do anything, including auction off a young defenceman for quantity, are over.
I agree the teams bottom 6 and forward depth in general is improving. However, it's still terrible and nowhere near playoff-calibre.

Either Toronto’s middle six wingers are available for prices the Oilers would pay, or they’re not. Dreams of them returning the likes of Nurse or Bear are a complete fantasy.
Kapanen isn't a "middle six" winger. His production doesn't fall short of 2nd line numbers and hasn't for the last two seasons. You've read the same statistics I have.

granted, I’m not Ken Holland, but nobody on here is Kyle Dubas either. We could demand Marner at 50% for Bear, and if you want to play the “bUt YoU’rE nOt ThE gM” game, who is anyone to say no, Toronto wouldn’t do it?
The situation you're describing has nothing in common with what is happening in this conversation and you're well aware of it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sure, with some humility, a sense or realism, and not for the express purpose of antagonizing people who disagree.

Tell me, where is the sense of realism in expecting a team with a near identical record to blow up their top four for “depth?”

I agree the teams bottom 6 and forward depth in general is improving. However, it's still terrible and nowhere near playoff-calibre.

And yet, here we are, in first place. Losing Nurse or Bear turns our defence into “not playoff caliber” and that’s a hell of a lot more important.

Kapanen isn't a "middle six" winger. His production doesn't fall short of 2nd line numbers and haven't for the last two seasons. You've read the same statistics I have.

he’s a second liner. Johnsson is a fringe second liner. Kerfoot is a 3C. None of which are worth losing Bear over, no matter what Toronto stacks on top of them. This isn’t NHL20 where
you can keep throwing in futures until you get what you want.

The situation you're describing has nothing in common with what is happening in this conversation and you're well aware of it.

Because you say so? You’re talking about a team wanting to turn disposable pieces into a young top four defenceman from a team that’s LEADING THEIR DIVISION at the moment, that has no basis in reality either.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Kapanen isn't a disposable piece. You know this. You're pretending to believe otherwise for the sake of silly posturing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kapanen isn't a disposable piece. You know this. You're pretending to believe otherwise for the sake of silly posturing.

well, maybe your Canucks can take him then. How many 2nd rounders and prospects would Toronto have to add to Kapanen to fetch Quinn Hughes? GM’s aren’t allowed to say no in your world, after all.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Sure, with some humility, a sense of realism, and not for the express purpose of antagonizing people who disagree.

Kapanen isn't a "middle six" winger. His production doesn't fall short of 2nd line numbers and hasn't for the last two seasons. You've read the same statistics I have.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Supple demand. Young 20 goal scorers who is under contract and can PP and PK.
Look at how that production occurs. His scoring logs show you how much he relies on his linemates to produce offense.

Two goals and 11 points at evens all season despite increased TOI both at EV and on the PP doesn't show you a player worth a 1st round draft pick. And saying he PKs is a bit disingenuous considering he's played exactly six minutes and forty four seconds on it throughout his entire career.

Bottom six forwards who don't make a significant impact on the special teams aren't high in demand. They never return 1st round picks.

As I mentioned earlier, Connor Brown is a pretty good comparable. But even he PKd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad